Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Gerber or Leatherman or…?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

What’s recommended?

Duffer
    Free Member

Long term Leatherman user, here. Make sure you buy a full size one (like a wave) because you’ll only ever buy one.

crush83
    Free Member

I use a spring loaded gerber multi tool. Easy one hand use.

Imo Gerber over letherman every time.

yunki
    Free Member

I loved my gerber and thought I had really made a smart move picking gerber over leatherman.. until one of the blades broke

ktmblag
    Free Member

I’ve had both and prefer the Leatherman. better quality in my opinion.. careful when searching for leather men

mark90
    Free Member

I’ve had both and prefer the Leatherman. better quality in my opinion

+1

Kuco

Had a Gerber till it was stolen replaced with a Leatherman. imo not much between them just get the one with attachments you’re going to use.

ski
    Free Member

Leatherman user at work here (charge ti), out of 6 of us, only one has a Gerber in his tool kit, but then again he cannot make tea either 😉

geoffj

Had a Leatherman Wave – left it in my hand luggage going through PMI 😥

Gerber Suspension for 25 ish from Amazon is 99% as good as a 100 gbp for a Wave

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have a Leatherman Charge Ti and a Gerber Suspension. The Leatherman is a much better tool to use but it costs so much more than the Gerber too. Gerber is still a good tool just not in the same league as a Leatherman.

Drac

Gerber Suspension can had a bargain price from Amazon at times, I use one for work, helping at events and a general tool at home, it’s been excellent. Leatherman are for tea drinkers.

wrecker
    Free Member

I used to work with these on a daily basis in some of the harshest conditions (desert, jungle, cold weather)
    The gerbers broke a lot more often than the leathermans. The one handed opening is very useful though.

prettygreenparrot

Full size Leatherman®. I have the Supertool. Given to me by friends as a leaving present. Absolutely indispensable and almost indestructible.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks

Free Member

I managed to break two Gerber ‘Suspension’ multi tools within a year although they do get fairly heavy use… However the Leatherman Wave I bought to replace them has lasted for six years so far and is still going strong. Overall, Gerber are good value, but for longevity the Leatherman’s superb build quality and materials wins every time.

willard

I’ve broken a Gerber Suspension in the past, but the Gerber people replaced it petty much by return post, so I can’t complain too much about that.

The Leatherman tools I have seen feel just as solid, but I have never owned one. The people that I do know with them, swear by them and will not be parted from them.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive got a leatherman surge and a crunch both excelent quality and used regularly. Crunch is a good biking one reasonably small hase mole grips instead of pliers and can use allen key bits with it.
    Surge can have different jigsaw blades fitted which is handy.

zilog6128

Gerber Suspension for 25 ish from Amazon is 99% as good as a 100 gbp for a Wave

It really isn’t. Good (at that price), but not in the same league.

Duffer
    Free Member

Wave for £90 on the Leatherman store.

I’ve spent the last 10 years trying to find an excuse to buy a new one…

Kuco

I was lucky that work paid for my Wave 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member
    fakesounding
    Free Member

Long term Leatherman user here. Love it and their warranty/ service back up in fantastic.

That said, the Leatherman was a replacement for a Victorinox which I forgot to remove from my hand luggage once. The Viivtorinox was the greatest multi tool I ever used.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all – I ended up getting a Surge from Amazon for £60

ski
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

http://www.gerbergear.co.uk/Survival

Nuff said

Lol yes, buy the leatherman 😉

nicko74

Nuff said
    What, buy a Gerber so you can poke Bear Grylls in his stupid little scouty face?

Duffer
    Free Member

Nuff said

Nuff said.

Good choice on the Surge!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

BG branded gear? No thanks!

I’m a Leatherman Juice owner, and have been since 2001. It gets used for basic bike repair, outdoor, and DIY duties. Leatherman have a good, but not great warranty service. I know this for a fact because I have had to replace the tool thrice so far, it’s the pliers that develop so much slop as to render them useless. Multitools have their place, and their uses. But if I knew then what I know now, I’d buy some proper tools instead.

iainc

I have leatherman wave and Gerber suspension. They are both good although the wave goes rusty in my camelbak

yunki
    Free Member

just been looking at some of the stuff in Texas Tool Crafters Etsy shop..

Blingerman 8)

PePPeR

The “or” is Victorinox, I’ve had mine 15 years and I’ve never broken it, I’ve had both Leatherman and Gerbers in the meantime and although their customer service in both cases has been very good the Victorinox has never needed anything!

http://www.uktoolcentre.co.uk/Shop/p~60001~SwissTools.html?Refid=googlePLA&gclid=CInWyL_L7rgCFbQetAodLRkAJQ

Heavy is the only thing with it!

bigshep
    Free Member

PePPeR just beat me to it, had my Victorinox for nearly 15 years and have had numerous Gerbers and Leathermans in that time that turn out to be made of cheese and given away to friends etc.

seadog101

The “or” is Victorinox

Splash out for the Victorinox. Compared to the Leatherman and the Gerbers I’ve had it’s the preferred option. I’ve had mine for over 15 years, and still looks new apart from the printed in graphics having worn off. It’s heavier than the others, but then it’s bigger, feels tougher, and more comfortable to use.

PePPeR

I’d quite forgotten that mine used to have graphics printed on it till I found a link to put up!

I also see that they’ve added scissors these days, which is the only thing I’d missed from my Gerber.

Cougar

Isn’t modern Gerber wholly different from the original brand that earned its reputation, or am I misremembering?

fourbanger
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

Nuff said
    Lol yes, buy the leatherman

Charge Ti here. As I said…. 😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

Nuff said
    Lol yes, buy the leatherman

Charge Ti here. As I said…. 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

Too subtle for me!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Gerber or Leatherman or…?’ is closed to new replies.