Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Geneva en route to Alps
  • vmgscot

Me and the GF flying into Geneva midday on Sat on way to The White Room. They have told us we have a 6 hour wait until transport picks us up.

Is it worth the hassle/effort/cost to store the bikes and bags and pop into the city for a mooch about…biggest attraction seems to be a burst water main in a lake?

campfreddie
    Free Member

you can do a lap of lake Geneva is just under 6hrs if you are hyper-fit… 108 miles of flat road riding… took me 6hrs and 25 minutes

iolo
    Free Member

Geneva is nice but remortage the house for spending money. A crazily expensive place. I would wait 6 hours and buy something you don’t need for the bike.

scruff
    Free Member

We got the train into the touristy bit and had a walk around with Phil from BV for an hour or so, think we nipped in for a dirty burger from the under the golden arches. With 6 hours to kill Id certainly get out the airport if you can.

Geneva seemed a nice place, I particularity liked the bouncers on the doors of the posh shops.

atlaz
    Free Member

Geneva airport will make you want to top yourself for 6 hours. I had a 3 hour stay there a year ago and did all the shops in 10 minutes.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Presumably you’re leaving the bikes at the airport and getting the train into town ? If you’re into clocks and watches, I recommend the Patek Philippe Museum ! Yes, food/drink expensive, but take-away prices not much different to what you’d find at the airport.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

wtf is the 6 hour wait about!? thats a big old transfer n’all. be more like 9hrs by the time you arrive. eff that. id be changing flight or sorting my own transfer!

id look at getting the train up BSM, then have a meal & a few pints up there and wait for them to pick you up. at least you wouldnt have a 3hr drive ahead of you. or even get a taxi up to resort and go for a ride?

vmgscot

Cheers all.

There was not a lot of flight choice from Scotland to Geneva on that date but must admit I didn’t realise the wait we’d have. Email from TWR says we’re waiting on one other arriving later before transport leaves….I guess that’s how it is sometimes.

Not much money left in the pot for changing things now so looks like a loooong stroll around city or stick the ipod on random and rediscover 6 hours of forgotten tunes…

Milkie
    Free Member

Go for a swim in the lake, soak up the rays. Have an espresso and a bite to eat, then pass out at the prices!

You might get your revenge on the return. Last time I flew someone booked a flight home for 9am, so we have to get up at stupid O’Clock (5am) to get to Geneva. Our flight didn’t leave until 4pm, we try to drive now. 😉

welshfarmer

You might be able to get in a tour of the CERN/Hadron collider facility. It is only about 3 miles up the road in a taxi/bus. Some friends of mine were there for a tour a week ago and I ended up driving through there by accident while looking for a sensible place for a picnic while I waited for my mates flight to arrive a few weeks back.

http://outreach.web.cern.ch/outreach/visites/individuelle.html

http://home.web.cern.ch/about/updates/2013/08/open-days-book-now-visit-cerns-underground-facilities

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

Pick up a free travel ticket at the exit of the arrivals lounge. Gives you free train or bus travel for up to 1 hour. City centre is only about a 10 min train journey and is relatively compact to walk around. Take a walk along the lake shore to the Jet dEau, or take a tour at the UN. Prices at airport are just as expensive as the city BTW

coogan
    Free Member

Time you arriving at? We get there at 12.50pm.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plenty of nice bars/cafes by the lake, things to see. Does depend on the weather though, if its rubbish I would stay put.

Geneva/Bourg-SM train connection isn’t great sadly otherwise I’d say make your own way.

vmgscot

Hi coogan
    Our flight also arrives at 1250 – EasyJet 6905 from Edinburgh

ampthill

CERN or swim in the lake

If you go the the Lido bit its quite fun and you can buy a good low cost meal

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g188057-d3203924-Reviews-Bain_de_Paquis-Geneva.html

I quite like Geneva as a place to wander round

The airport would not hold me for 6 hours

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Train to Bourge-Saint-Maurice via Brides-le-Bain is £51. there in 2hrs.

that’d be the easiest £100 id ever spend. you’ll probably do that in hanging round Geneva.

coogan
    Free Member

@vmgscot That’s the same time we arrive and the same flight. Not been told f a 6 hour wait though! When did you speak to them last, got an email from them yesterday about pick up. Might have to email back and check!

iolo
    Free Member

Make your own Sandwiches for eating at Geneva airport if you do intend to stay.
    And buy your bottled water post security check in the uk.
    Try not to spend and Swiss Francs if you sit for 6 hours there.

mcnultycop

When I went to geneva pretty women handed out chocolate. Regularly. I put 1kg on in 40 minutes and nearly missed the plane.

iolo
    Free Member

Swiss Air are very nice. It’s the thieving bastards on the ground who’ll fleece you.

stevomcd
    Free Member

vmgscot – really sorry we’re having to make you wait so long. Unfortunately, we have 9 people coming in early (some quite a bit earlier) and the transfer van has 8 seats! We always try our best to keep the waiting time to a minimum, but sometimes it just doesn’t work out as we’d like it to. If there was another option, we’d do it, but there really isn’t. We are going to ask around and see if someone else is running a transfer with a space we could squeeze you into, but don’t get your hopes up!

We do recommend taking a trip into town. It’s really quick and easy and much better than hanging around the airport.

The train, by the way, takes nearly 6 hours, doesn’t leave until 1509 and requires a minimum of 3 changes! jaffe-joffer’s info is not accurate.

vmgscot

stevomcd – so if there are 9 of us and 8 seats then you could at least take one of us (the GF) on the same bus as coogan’s group (we are on same flight). And if you can squeeze my bike/baggage on the bus then I won’t have to bugger about with storage costs, etc at the airport?

stevomcd
    Free Member

vmgscot – I think we’ve actually managed to dig-up some seats on a transfer van going back empty, so we should be able to get you picked-up a lot earlier. Emailed you the details.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Geneva en route to Alps’ is closed to new replies.