Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Genesis 2017
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Dissapointed to see no high end Equilibrium disc, the fanciest seems to be 725 tubeset. Wasn’t looking for a new bike this year but I see an Equilibrium disc in my future some time, but not if they are going to wind down the higher end models.

drovercycles
    Free Member

For all the new range?

Quite taken with that Vapour and and I’ve always fancied a Genesis. Hmm.

Some of the range is in stock as soon as next week. Vapour alloy is imminent, carbon bikes and frameset are due either in mid-Sep or mid-Oct depending on model/size/colour.

lister

We have a fleet of the kids Core bikes here at work.
    They are brilliant bikes. My daughter has just turned 8, is average for her size and can ride the 24″ but it is really a bit big for her.

Disappointed to see Genesis have downgraded the 24″ this year, it now has gripshift (WTF??) and cable discs. The 26″ still has buttons to push and shimano hydraulic discs.

I will NEVER be convinced that small hands need gripshift or can’t press buttons. We have some tiny year 5 kids who use our bikes and they can all change gear with the thumb buttons.
    My daughter struggled for a year with the gripshit on her Isla before I experimented with an old X5 shifter, straight away she was changing gear more often and enjoying riding up hills because of it.

ampthill

As some one on here seems to be in touch with genesis I’d like to ask

Can they add some geometry for the Vagabond

Will the Croix De fer take 40mm tyres (e.g. Flintridge 40mm or even Nano raptors which are 42mm I think)

Thanks

belugabob
    Free Member

The other strange thing is the equilibrium framset – direct mount caliper mounts on the frame & post mount caliper mounts on the fork.
    Not an ideal mix, when it comes to groupset purchases.

Shame, really, as I have a soft spot for Genesis, and am looking for a disc brake road frame.

Or am I missing something?

simondbarnes

Not an ideal mix, when it comes to groupset purchases.

You’d just buy a groupset with post mount discs and run a flat to post mount adaptor on the rear.

belugabob
    Free Member

Which kind of defeats the point of putting direct mounts on the frame

simondbarnes

True enough. People have been running brakes with adaptors pretty much since they came out though so it’s hardly a unique situation.

iainc

Will the Croix De fer take 40mm tyres (e.g. Flintridge 40mm or even Nano raptors which are 42mm I think)

not unless the frame has changed since 2015, which I don’t think has happened. I have 35c cross-speeds on mine and there is around 5-8mm clearance on the chainstays. The tightest spot is front mech, though mine has 105 which has a long arm.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Is the website down or due to have more models uploaded? I can only see one model for each of the road, sportive and cross bikes?

nixie

The main image is a carousel. Button try the bottom right of the image changes the model. Not massively user friendly ui.

ampthill

Thanks iainc I’d forgotten dull things like mech clearance

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have a croix 30… As Iain says clearance on front mech is the issue. I have squeezed in some 40 wtb nano’s which measure up as 41mm. About 2mm ish clearance. However running single ring at the mo as no way would the mech arm clear the tyre.

Great bike…. However and this is a big one…. I am not sure I would buy another genesis bike (I have 2) purely for the fact that they are totally absolutely terrible at customer support and don’t seem to be interested at all in answering any questions from both potential and new customers! Shame.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Heading down to the show to see the new 2017 Genesis bikes, along with Ridgeback and Saracen.

Going to feed back about the website, it’s not great!

Doncorleoni – that’s a shame to hear, but dealer should really be first port of call. Genesis aren’t all that well set up for direct customer questions. I know they have email/contact us on the site, if I were them I’d maybe miss that out and point people to dealers.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Yep that long arm front mech problem ruins the CdF’s otherwise excellent credentials as a top gravel bike…also makes mudguard fitment (for commuting) impossible without much hacking.

mrblobby
    Free Member

though. 2.3k for an Ultegra build with some ok-ish training wheels doesn’t seem too unreasonable
    Oops, that was the one i was thinking of but I read the price as £2999 by mistake!

How annoying, they’ve just upped the price of the CCX30 on the website by 500 quid to 2799.

Anything else been getting sneaky adjustments?

ampthill

Yep that long arm front mech problem ruins the CdF’s otherwise excellent credentials as a top gravel bike…also makes mudguard fitment (for commuting) impossible without much hacking

Surely the only variable on front mech’ clearance is chain stay length. How can it be worse on one brand than another, unless they are using an MTB chain line

ciquta
    Free Member

the new longitude can take 29+?

belugabob
    Free Member

True enough. People have been running brakes with adaptors pretty much since they came out though so it’s hardly a unique situation.[/quote]
    Isn’t the whole point, of flat mount, that they’re tucked out of the way? Mounting them with adapters is a bit like wearing a skin suit and a camelback.

Besides – AFAIK – it’s not possible to attach a flat mount caliper to a post mount fork, so you’d end up with normal calipers at both ends, negating the presence of flat mounts on the frame, or having a mix of caliper types, which would just look stupid (and probably expensive)

gowerboy

I recon the Longitude looks pretty good but as others say, they make some improvements like putting steel forks back on and including good rack mounts, etc, then leave out other things like making the dropouts Rohloff compatible like I think last year’s were. A tapered head tube would have given more fork options too.. As it is I recon you are pretty well stuck with a rigid fork. That would suit me fine, but it’s always nice to have options. Still, as it is, it looks a great bikepacking bike at a good price.

TiRed

Volare frameset looks very nice but I had to chuckle at this:

Drawing upon everything we’ve learnt from 4 seasons of racing steel in the pro peloton

What they learned was that steel was not competitive and they switched the team bikes to carbon 😉 . Still a nice bike though, I’m sure.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

The longitude looks like a return to form. Most buyers won’t have cared about the rohloff dropouts and probably never planned to put suspension on anyway and it’s got them back to the 999 price point.

I couldn’t get a 2015 as they sold out, waited for the 2016 then didn’t want it, the 2017 looks good but I’m skint now 🙁

bish

Does anyone know the spacing on the new longitude frame and fork?

Kamakazie

The Tarn looks great. Very much like the PP Shan in looks which is great though I would like to see slightly longer forks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I guess there was a big overlap between the High Lattitude and the Tarn, the latter was pretty much the boost version of the former.

Odly Evans are listing a “2017 Latitude” with an identical spec tot he 2016, although that could just be them avoiding price matching others who’ve reduced the 2016 bikes.

gowerboy

The longitude looks like a return to form. Most buyers won’t have cared about the rohloff dropouts and probably never planned to put suspension on anyway and it’s got them back to the 999 price point.

Agreed that keeping the steerer straight just underlines its purpose or intended use and I recon that’s cool. The Rohloff dropout thing wouldn’t have cost anything to include, would have no trade offs else where as far as I can see, but would have made the bike that bit more versatile. I have a Rohloff on a Troll. I’m in no hurry to move it – but could be persuaded by the right kind of ‘plus’ frame.

Still…. It’s a cool bike and if it wasn’t for having a Pugsley and a Troll I would go for one….

stuhughes
    Free Member

Regarding the Longitude spacing – I have been in touch with Genesis and they replied that the front is 100 mm QR and rear 135 mm QR… Which I’m actually quite happy about… They also said the fork is 445mm A-C…
    Would love to hear a review from anyone that has one!

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Genesis 2017’ is closed to new replies.