Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin GPS Upload / Download Query
  • woody21
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Etrex (the basic one) is it possible to upload a GPX file from the Internet direct onto my Etrex? Or do I have go via Garmin Connect?

All advice gratefully received

cinnamon_girl

Do you have mapping software?

woody21
    Free Member

Did have – changed computer and lost memory map as it was an old version and its no longer supported. In my simple world I’m wondering if I can upload grid references into Garmin Connect and the upload onto my Etrex

cinnamon_girl

Sorry, don’t know the answer.

andytherocketeer

Think the basic yellow etrex needs the pricey serial cable? Pretty sure you can upload routes to it.
    I use gmap-pedometer website with some plugin to grab the gpx, but I sold my old serial Garmin and have a USB one now

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve only ever uploaded via Memory Map and serial cable. If anyone needs a cable, cheap copies can be had from Fleabay rather than the £30 Garmin charge.

woody21
    Free Member

I had to buy a new cable as the new computer had no spare serial ports, now have to contact via USB cable.

woody21
    Free Member

Oh it’s a nightmare – instructions for the USB driver are an earlier version of windows. Telephone helpline me thinks

boblo
    Free Member

Can you net get an updated driver from the cable manufacturers website?

Cougar

Think the basic yellow etrex needs the pricey serial cable?

I made one from an old mouse and a chopped up credit card.

CraigW
    Free Member

You will need some sort of software for loading waypoints etc. One fairly simple free option is EasyGPS. You can set it to use OS grid references, and it can open GPX files etc. http://www.easygps.com/

Or you could use Garmin MapSource. It lets you view your waypoints on a map. See this for instructions of how to download and install it for free: http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-garmin-mapsource-for-free-and-install-without-media/

woody21
    Free Member

Thanks for all of the advice

boblo
    Free Member

With Garmin Mapsource, you’ll need mapping as the Basemap is next to useless. You can buy it (Google) or if conscience allows, ‘find it’…..

andytherocketeer

Used to use EasyGPS on windows to transfer the files.
    Now I use GPSBabel on Linux (not sure if there’s a Windows version) to transfer them.
    Both let you transfer waypoints, routes and tracks independently or all together (and a GPX file can contain a mix of those).
    Need to beware maximum size of routes/tracks on the older basic eTrexes though. My ancient one was limited to 50 points on a route (quite limiting), and 1000 on a track. GPSBabel is able to convert route to track if it’s too long.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPS Upload / Download Query’ is closed to new replies.