Home Forums Bike Forum Garmin Express no longer supporting my version of Mac OS

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin Express no longer supporting my version of Mac OS
  • beamers

Morning all

For many years I’ve been happily connecting my Garmin 520 and Fenix 5 to my trusty MacBook Pro of 2008 vintage to charge up and sync with Garmin Express. Yesterday, Garmin Express informed that from 22 Aug 23 it won’t support the version of MacOS on my Mac Book. Its running 10.11.6 (it won’t update an further than that due its age).

Express is only going to support 10.15.7 and newer.

So, do I need to find another computer / mac or will my Garmins update via the Garmin Connect App without the need to connect to Garmin Express?

Ta in advance.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve never connected my Fenix to a computer. I just connect it to my phone.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you already know the answer to this one as Garmin Connect opens Garmin Express to do the transfer. Ive never really understood why it needs to be a separate app though.

I just use my 520 these days to follow routes (bread crum) and use my Garmin watch to record and upload. I use a PC to download the routes to my 520.

I assume even buying a cheap old laptop will have the same issues you describe with a Mac

riddoch

The only time I’ve used express is to update the maps or when theres been a firmware update that breaks the connection to the app.

Think you should be alright but you could always run a linux instal in a virtaul machine (this can be a world of hurt getting it to work with USBs but much cheaper than buying a new machine)

DickBarton

It should be able to be done via the app…make sure watch and head unit are connected to the phone via bluetooth and when you open the app it should be able to connect to either of them and sync.

beamers

Cheers All.

Looks like they should update then without the need to connect to a computer.

There’s a map update available for the Fenix showing in Express which popped up today so I’ll wait and see if that makes its way onto the Fenix via the Connect app without connecting it to Express.

jimdubleyou

If you feel adventurous, you could try upgrading your old Mac…

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-the-latest-macos-on-an-unsupported-mac-1847802771

beamers

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-the-latest-macos-on-an-unsupported-mac-1847802771

Oooh, thanks for sharing that. Will investigate.

cp

i suspect garmin express will continue to work on your mac, you just won’t get newer versions of express.  you should still be able to do a cable-connected update of your devices.

The newer versions of express just seem to fix bugs and add new device compatibility.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

make sure watch and head unit are connected to the phone via bluetooth

Doh I was thinking it was a Garmin 500, not 520 which is bluetooth !

No need to ever connect by cable then. Just create your route in Garmin Connect on your Mac, and then transfer to the unit using your phone via bluetooth

jonnyboi

Fair play for getting mileage out of your tech OP.

If you have version 4.10 and above on your 520 it should be enabled for Bluetooth updates via the app.  You really shouldn’t need garmin express for anything now (including course downloads)

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=9270

beamers

Fair play for getting mileage out of your tech OP.

Thanks. I’m a tight ar$e, so that I can spend big bucks on bike stuff!

(Our “new” Mac is a 2010 iMac. That has the some problem.)

jimdubleyou

Oooh, thanks for sharing that. Will investigate.

Just to come back to this thread, I used the Open Core software to upgrade a 2012 Mac mini to Ventura yesterday.

Pretty painless experience. It’s not my main machine, so it won’t get a lot of heavy use but should keep it going for a couple more years.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.