Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin Edge question..
  • stanley

I’m a bit unclear on this, can anybody help?

If I were to get a Garmin Edge 500, could I then plot routes on Tracklogs and export them to the Garmin?
    I know that the Edge does not have mapping, but would it give me a “breadcrumb” line to follow?

Thinking that it may make exploring new areas easier. I’m not wanting to get anything bigger, so Edge800s and Satmaps are out.

Just fancy a tricked out cycle computer if it can also give some route guidance.

Cheers

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nope. No breadcrumb trail on the 500. It will record the rides for later analysis but won’t give you a trail to follow whilst on your ride.

munkster
    Free Member

I thought from the reviews that the 500 *does* give a breadcrumb trail in the same way as the Edge 205/305 does? eg. here.

Assuming it does, the way you’re proposing to use the Garmin stanley is the same way as I used to use my 205 (and now my 705) – ie. plot route out on Tracklogs and then follow breadcrumb trail…

DavidB
    Free Member

500 does breadcrumb trail (course) and it can be used fine for basic navigation

monkeychild
    Free Member

Get the edge 500. I have one and it’s immense. Use it on the stems on my road bike and it lives in my pack on the mtb. Pees all over the iPhone for gps type stuff.

stanley

Ah!
    So that picture shows exactly what I was hoping for.
    That is an Edge 500, isn’t it?

Any idea what format my “course” would need to be in?

Thanks again

timmys

Try and get an older Edge 205 or 305. They do the breadcrumb route but you can also do ‘proper’ navigation where you plan a route (on computer) and it alerts you with a beep when you are approaching a waypoint and then shows you which way to turn (only downside is that it is limited to 100 waypoints max).

DavidB
    Free Member

stanley – Garmin crs format. GPSu or GPS Babel can convert to this for you, or use Tracklogs/www.gpsies.com for route planning and direct download

Jase
    Free Member

Garmin Connect or Bike Route Toaster.

rootes1

My 500 does breadcrumb so you can track back..

also you can use the course function to follow a track you have either ridden before or created in bikeroutetoaster.

works well used mine to navigate a whole lejog route (off major routes route)

it beeps when you go off course and can get it to beep at other points of courses created. It also alerts when you get back on course and when there is a sharp change in the course direction.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge question..’ is closed to new replies.