Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • garmin dakota 20…..anybody using one???
  • trailmoggy
    Free Member

is anybody out there using a garmin dakota 20????? if so you maybe able to help me as i’m a complete numty on this kind of stuff

ive been looking for a gps type thingy for a while and have sort of got to this one, i looked at the edge 800 and all them but they seem to have a little too much on for me and way too complicated

i want to use it mainly on my road bike but i will use it in my mtb when i go somewere i’m not familiar with.

i know you can put differant maps on and stuff, my mate can hopefully sort that

what i really want to know is..when using it on the road can i plan a route on the go…like you would with a satnav in car?

and is the bike mount for it any good?

i know i may have to change the maps and that but can it be done?

and laymans terms please

MrTricky
    Free Member

I’ve got one. You can get it bundled with OS GB 50K mapping for the whole of Britain, which comes on a SIM card in the box. The screen is much better now than it was on earlier units in terms of brightness etc and I liked the fact that I can change batteries easily if they run out.

As with all Garmins, software takes a bit of playing with and is not always intuitive. You can set it up to navigate a route on foot, on road or off road. We wanted to find a gallery in Bath, entered the postcode and then followed the arrows so putting in a destination similar to how you would on a car unit is possible.

Bike mount is expensive, but works fine. Despite the labelling on the mount I’ve run it on oversize and also standard size bars with no problems, on and off road with no slipping. I tend to wrap a bit of inner tube on bars when I attach anything to them which may help the cable ties to grip.

cheers

David

trailmoggy
    Free Member

but could i change my route whilst i’m out? in other words do i have to plan every route i go on? and can i attach it to my stem rather than my bars?

sorry if you already explained the first qeustion but i’m complete novice with this kind of stuff

cheers

MrTricky
    Free Member

Depends on the length of your stem as the mount is quite long and it sits low. No spacers above the stem would make it easier to fit.

You can change your destination on the go without having to use a computer.

Your best bet is to pop into a shop and have a play, have a look at the mount too. Most ‘Cotswold’ stores should have one they could show you: http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/main.shops

Give them a call to check, and they will probably have the bike mount for you to look at too.

David

trailmoggy
    Free Member

beltin i think i know what i’m doing now!!!!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘garmin dakota 20…..anybody using one???’ is closed to new replies.