Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Garmin connect – registering/de-registering devices
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Afternoon.

Any idea if it is necessary to register a device with a Garmin Connect account? Or, more particularly, is it necessary to de-register a device before someone else can use it to upload to their own account?

I’ve used 3 different devices with my account – Garmin 305, 500 and 110. In each case it has been plug&play and any association between account and device seems entirely transparent. Problem is I’ve now sold the 305 to a mate and he’s having problems uploading his own workouts to his existing GC account. Seems it wants me to de-register the device first but I can’t find an obvious way to do this.

Each device seems to have a unique device ID but I can’t find anywhere to change the name/ownership status.

Any advice appreciated!

SC

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Bump for Saturday.

Andy-W
    Free Member

i seem to remember that you have to download a garmin program that lets your garmin “talk” to the computer

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/gcp.html

Andy-W
    Free Member

Garmin Communicator Plugin

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Cheers Andy.

None of the 3 Garmins I’ve used have seemed to need this plugin, unless it is installed transparently from the device as a driver (possibly the case with the 500 and 110 which I’ve bought in the last year).

The 305 is a good few years older and I used it with an old PC which had the Garmin software installed from CD. I sold it with all the original bits and pieces and I’m not sure if the buyer has installed anything, perhaps assuming that it would automatically connect via his GC account.

I’ll suggest the plugin and see if that fixes the problem.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Nope – he’s tried that but it’s still not allowing him to upload automatically from the device.

I’ve suggested manual upload so we’ll see how that goes.

mossimus
    Free Member

What error is he getting?

What browser is he using?

Garmin communicator can have a few issues with later versions of IE

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’ve asked him the above questions and I’m just waiting on him getting back to me.

Cheers!

beaker

I sent an email to Garmin customer support asking them to unregister my 510. I gave them them the serial number and it was sorted in a couple of days.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Thanks beaker.

I’ll try that too.

SC

bensales
    Free Member

A Forerunner 305 won’t automatically upload. You need to connect it with the USB lead, then vist connect.garmin.com and click on ‘Upload’ in the top right. It’ll then detect the watch and show if there are any new activities to upload. It’s only the newer watches that do it automatically.

Your buyer will need to make sure they have the Garmin Communicator plugin installed in their browser. They can get this from the Garmin site.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Garmin connect – registering/de-registering devices’ is closed to new replies.