Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Garmin 800 vs 810
  • jkomo

Is it worth the extra dosh? With the fab deals on Wiggle, about to push the button, but I like the ability of the 810 to upload via mobile, as my laptop is on its way out. The thing is £220 for 800 performance bundle is a fab deal.

Captain_Sponge

I think this is a pretty useful review, but the decision is, of course, your own…
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review.html

CS.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The upload via a phone capability only works with Garmin Connect I think; if it is possible to upload to Strava I’ve not found out how to do it.

The remote upload is also part of the ability to pair the device with a phone. The other relatively useful feature of that is you can track someone’s ride via the Garmin Connect website. For me that can be useful for safety; I’m riding in the winter at night and my wife can easily find me if something goes wrong.

To be honest, I rarely use that feature these days, it’s just more work to set up.

Other than that there is little difference/value between the two. Not sure I buy into the Garmin Connect site now also offering segments. It isn’t going to do it as well as Strava so not sure of the point.

atlaz
    Free Member

For the price, as said, I’d get the 800 as for me the live upload to Garmin Connect isn’t something I care about

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have just bought an 810 and I’m glad I chose it over the 800.
    The ability to connect it your phone and upload the routes and rides without having to plug it into my laptop being the main advantage.
    My laptop takes about a month to switch on so I rarely use it any more. I create routes on my work pc and save them to garmin connect. You then open the garmin connect app on your phone and send the route to the phone. Its very simple and has worked perfectly every time. I also use the live tracking when riding solo or when I go the long way home. It gives the wife an idea of where I am and when I’m going to be back so she can get tea ready.
    There is a website called copymysports that will automatically upload your garmin routes to strava. You authorise your account and it checks every 15mins for new rides and uploads them. http://www.copymysports.com

tenfoot

I bought the 810 for livetrack, but I’ve had real trouble getting my phone connected. Sometimes it does, most often it doesn’t, so I’ve reached the point where I can’t be bothered to try and set it up.

TiRed

I bought the 810 because it was £240 on a price match at Evans. I already had the sensors and HR monitor. If I’m honest, it was because the case is a nicer colour 😳 . The Bluetooth features aren’t supported by my mobile and I haven’t tested wireless connection to the PC yet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have the 810, the missus has the 800.

Looks and feels like the same unit from the outside, the firmware/interface is different on the 810. I’ve used bluetooth once on it. It only seems to work with garmin connect so not something I use. Adding routes takes seconds by drag and drop really.

So I’d probably go with the best bundle price.

convert

I haven’t tested wireless connection to the PC yet.

It doesn’t have one. The Bluetooth only plays nicely with the app on your smartphone, not a bluetooth enabled PC/mac.

I have the 810 but in hindsight should have gone for the 800. The interface is a bit nicer but if I had the 800 I’d have known no different. The livetracker is nice I guess but wife and I both have iphones so find my friend is just a good for the purpose I use it for. Uploading rides to connect (and then automatically to trainingpeaks) via the bluetooth to the app and downloading routes sounds good but can’t say it revolutionises my world.Maybe when I’m away from easy laptop access I’ll think differently but at the moment I wish there was £50 odd more in my bank account.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’d go for the 800 bundle as its a killer deal, Amazon did a similar black friday deal price 6 months ago and it sold out in minutes. the 800 is now 2 models old (810, 1000) but still a brilliant bit of kit and the bundled accessories are expensive on their own. I dont personally rate the “improvements” of the 810, if you do then get it, if you’ll use the 800’s accessories then definitely get that one.

Should have posted it as a PSA thread, I’m tempted by the 800 bundle myself!

I’d recommend the silicone case and screen protector, if only for that inevitable “turn the bike upside down forgetting its fitted” moment.

P20

We bought an 810, then an 800 2nd hand as a 2nd unit. The menu system is better on the 810, but the 800 is fine. The Bluetooth phone connectivity for upload routes is useful if temperamental on the 810.

variflex
    Free Member

I got the 800 at xmas in the amazon deal. I only use it on the road bike and recently used it in anger as part of a 50mile charity ride up north. I uploaded the official route and it worked a treat apart from trying to send me round roundabouts the wrong way (which is a common problem with garmins according to many). Bearing in mind I didnt know where I was at all, it navigated me perfectly from Wakefield to Manchester over the pennines (including city centres).

Data collection from sensors is spot on and easy to setup. Customisation is good too. Free OSM maps available which helps.

I did think about the 810, but pairing with a mobile isnt something I would use on a regular basis. As said by many above it only uploads to garmin connect which is getting worse as a usable tool (now only uses elapsed time which is a pain). I only use strava now. Tracking would have been neat, but if I had crashed the phone would have probably died anyway so probably not as useful as first thought. The difference in cost between the 800 and 810 is such that I would simply go for the 800.

convert

I’ve had one nav issue with my 810. I planned a route and didn’t notice that the Garmin site took a short cut at a corner up what is in fact a private gated drive. On the ride I took the correct route but in the meantime whilst I was pedalling to the real turn it noticed I’d ‘gone wrong’ and recalculated an entirely different route to my destination. A couple of miles later it still wanted me to turn around so I ended up stopping the navigation and reloading the route.

Not a massive pain as I knew the area pretty well and could tell it was trying to send me the wrong way but it has made me more wary that it’s can’t be necessarily trusted when I’m in totally unknown terrain.

mudshark
    Free Member

I had the same thing on my 800, I think it was when it was set to give turn by turn directions only as don’t have the same problem when just following the marked route with turn by turn switched off.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 800 vs 810’ is closed to new replies.