Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Garmin 200 – £73
  • GavinB

anyone know if the bar mount is good for 31.8mm setups? been caught out by this before

It’s fine. The mounts are held on the bars by criss-crossing O rings. There are about 3 different sizes of O rings per mount, so you’ll be fine. I’ve mounted mine on 31.8 bars, as well as a road stem – dead easy, stays put.

legend
    Free Member

oooohhh i feel like a visit to Halfrauds in that case!

simon_g

Picked one up today – have a cheap Forerunner as well but strapping it to the bars is a bit faffy and at least I have a better chance of having one of them properly charged. I like the mini USB port rather than the special (and easily lost) dock for the forerunner.

Nice little bit of kit, especially for the money. Even if you only ever recorded where you’d been it’d be decent VFM.

Coleman
    Free Member

Oooh Nice!! Another 10% off in-store as well with good old British Cycling discount.

m6dwn
    Free Member

Can this be used with Strava?

oli82
    Free Member

Could you just buy any old computer for a fiver, and send in proof of purchase from that for this offer? Can’t see anything in the T&C’s on the purchase date of the original computer, only the new one.

Coleman
    Free Member

Just need to send in a photo of an old bike computer – no proof of purchase required.

simon_g

Yep, it just wants a photo. Find some random one on flickr if you don’t have your own.

Noticed it mounts as a drive in Windows when plugged in via USB. Drop a GPX file in the NewFiles folder and it’ll convert into a course to use on the device. Activities are stored as .fit and can be copied off the same way if you don’t have any other software installed.

And yes, absolutely fine for Strava.

legend
    Free Member

m6dwn – Member

Can this be used with Strava?

should be ok. Looks like you’ll have to go to the Garmin Connect website to get the .gpx of your ride then upload it to Strava.

Just picked mine up, so having a quick play just now

legend
    Free Member

Yup, dead easy to get hold of the .gpx files. The only thing I’m having trouble with is getting other .gpx files from my computer to the device, the ‘Upload activities from file’ button doesn’t seem to want to work 😕

legend
    Free Member

Update: manual upload issue seems to be related to using IE9, just tried Chrome (for the first time, it’s very quick!) and it worked fine

stevewhyte
    Free Member

IE9 does not work well, I changed to Mozilla and all is well.

jam-bo

Strava website uploads direct from the unit. Walked round the carpark and tested it earlier…

legend
    Free Member

^ just remembered the Garmin – Strava link a minute ago 😳

chojin
    Free Member

Jam bo – did you make King of the Car Park?

MrFannay
    Free Member

Just to note – this £30 cashback offer is not exclusive to Halfords it’s a Garmin offer so you can get the 200 from Merlin for £104 then fill in the form on the Garmin website and get your £30 quid back making it a total of £74.
    I know it’s a whole pooond dearer but I’d rather give a bike shop my wonga than the big H.

neilthewheel

You need to fill in this online form http://www.garmin.com/uk/edge200cashback-form/, send a scan of your receipt and a photo of any old bike computer, and provide your bank account details.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Just bought one from Halfords. Had been thinking of getting one for ages but was put off by the price. Thanks for the tip.

legend
    Free Member

hhmmmmm, just back from my first ride using the gps and for some reason my track has a load more straight lines in it than I would expect! Just had the wee bugger in my pocket, but that’s exactly where I had my phone 2 days ago and it worked fine. I would assume that the sample rate of all these things is fairly standard? Same issues showing regardless of tree cover and speed

I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve done a bar mounted test, so far though – no impressed 🙁

m6dwn
    Free Member

Got one yesterday and did first ride, nothing flash but does just what I want – £70 bargain.

atlaz
    Free Member

legend – My Edge works fine in my pocket but it is the 500, however I can’t imagine it’s that different.

Coleman
    Free Member

Mmmm. interesting!
    Well impressed with mine. As a test I ran it with my 800, and over a 50 mile ride all data (except elevation gain- no barometer on 200) was nearly identical. Only 0.02 difference in total mileage, 0.2 difference in max speed, and average speed spot on. The route on the map plots are also identical in detail – no sign of any flatlining.
    Great piece of kit for £63.

boxelder

I got one sunday – £77 from Halfords, along with 2 tins of GT85 and a pack of rotor bolts.

my track has a load more straight lines in it than I would expect

Took it for an evening spin through the woods, along with the HTC phone I used for Strava.
    Edge lost signal 3 times in the darkest woods, but gives an audible alarm to say it’s lost, then another when found again (if set to autopause). Compared to the phone, there are fewer (if any) flat lines and it picked up twice as many segments as the phone did (in a pocket).
    Good so far I reckon.
    I like the m climbed bit and the ability to race yourself over set courses.

atlaz
    Free Member

One thing I quite like is the different pages of info. I have one which is my main one which is for general riding (speed, time, distance, cadence, HR, m climbed), a second for climbing (% grade, speed, cadence) and a final one for esoteric info that doesn’t matter (average speed, average cadence, etc).

will
    Free Member

To upload to a computer am I correct in thinking you have to physically plug in the device.

legend
    Free Member

Coleman and boxelder, where did you have yours mounted?

Will, yup needs plugged in

martinxyz
    Free Member

Boxelder,how did you manage to get it for £77? I take it nobody has had the cashback through their bank account yet?

boxelder

martinxyz – Yeah, sorry = £107

In justifying it to co-account holder, I’d deducted the £30

atlaz – you can’t customise the pages though can you?

legend – on the bars, where it can be admired.

Coleman
    Free Member

legend – 200 on the top tube, 800 on the stem.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Got ya!

Tempting.

nedrapier

Numpty question: Can you load routes onto this and get it to give you directions, or do you need a better model for that?

nedrapier

Probably a numpty question:

Can you load routes onto this and have it direct you, or is a recording device only?

If you can, how does it do it? I know it doesn’t have maps on it a la 800.

nedrapier

Weird. I checked back to see replies and it wasn’t showing my 1st post.

legend
    Free Member

Yes you can add courses using Garmin Connect, it just looks like you’ll be following an arrow rather than a map

nedrapier

Cheers legend,

So as long as your course has enough way points, you should know pretty quickly if you’ve gone wrong?

If, say, I downloaded someone’s .gpx file of the SDW, if I took a wrong turn, I’d see the arrow pointing off to the left or right when the trail I was on was pointing a different direction?

How close are the waypoints/breadcrumbs on a gpx file? Does it depend on the model of GPSie that made it? Or are they plotted by the user as they go?

Thanks again!

nedrapier

and presumably you can review the points on the .gpx file in Garmin connect, overlaid on a map, before you download it, and add more if you want, say 20 yards up the trail from a junction?

legend
    Free Member

I’m gonna admit to being out of my depth now! So far I’ve only tried it when riding the couch!

Everything you’re saying matches what I’ve seen though

boxelder

Just been to test a course for you ned.
    Upload previous ride to Garmin Connect, convert to course, send to Edge. When setting off choose the course you want. It give you the line of the course, an arrow to show how fast you went previously and an arrow with a circle to show current position. I was walking this time, so obvious gap developed. Went off course deliberately and had warning beep and message within 10 metres – an arrow points the way back to where you went wrong. Alert beep and message to tell you you’re back on course.
    I’m going to enjoy racing myself!
    Easy.
    Have you read this?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

The map on the Edge is more than good enough for road riding, and probably fine for the vast majority of iff roaders. The route is easy to follow and it lets you know pretty fast when you are off course.

For me its the best bit of kit i have ever bought for my bike, perhaps with the exeption of clipless pedals.

will
    Free Member

I’d managed to convince myself I don’t need this, but reading the above I’m not sure now!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 200 – £73’ is closed to new replies.