• This topic has 24 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Garage/Man Cave heating
  • plumber
    Free Member

Hi all

I have constructed a well insulated room with the garage approx. 3.4×2.3 by 2.1 high, theres a window one end

Interested in a electrical heating solution for the time im out there

prefer fast heating up, economical, moon on a stick etc

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Plum

geoffj

woodburner obvs 🙄

rone

I’ve got a 1.5KW wall heater in a well insulated Garage. Heats up in no time and stays warm.

A 2KW (Say 25p per hour) Wall/Panel heater is not going to cost the earth and is fast (and small) if you’re insulated. Takes about 15-20 mins to get cosy in current temps.

At the other end of garage partition (Shower) I’ve got underfloor electric heating (250w) which takes forever but good to put on to take the chill off. And a 2KW blow heater for getting in and out of the shower.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Get on your turbo and pedal hard 🙂

willow1212
    Free Member

I found a good value way to heat mine was by moving the tumble drier out there, then coordinate bike tinkering with clothes drying time.

rone

I found a good value way to heat mine was by moving the tumble drier out there, then coordinate bike tinkering with clothes drying time.

Hey that’s not a bad shout actually. Same with mine. 3KW of heat needs to go somewhere.

weeksy

willow1212 – Member

Condensation is the issue there though

mike_p
    Free Member

I’ve got the boiler & water tank in mine, very cosy

rone

Possibly – mine is a washer/dryer so moisture is down the outlet. Although ironically I never use the tumble for drying biking clothes, just clothes and towels.

Northwind

I have a big hoofin 3kw fan heater, works very well, I need to be careful what it’s pointing at though and it’s noisy.

My garage isn’t well insulated so when it’s really cold, I use a 1600w halogen. Reason being, fan heaters are trying to heat up the space but the halogen heats up what it’s pointed at, ie, me. Downside is Trouser Inferno, when you stand too close and the fabric heats up where it’s not touching your skin, then you move and you feel like your leg is melting.

willow1212
    Free Member

Ours’ is a condenser so collects water in an easy-to-empty tank in the front, or it can drain out of a hose in the rear if there is a suitable outlet. Either way there is no moisture that escapes. If you have a vented drier that may not work though.

siwhite
    Free Member

We have a 6m x 3m self contained garden room / annex room with three external walls. As a stop-gap I bolted a 400w electric panel radiator with a plug-in thermostat to the wall. It is always switched on – and will clearly operate a lot of the time in the winter and not much at all in the summer. It keeps the room perfectly warm – enough to sleep in over winter, but I’d want something more powerful if you spent a lot of time in there as a workshop. Our room has a vaulted ceiling up to a 4m ridge in case that makes a difference.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I need to address my workshop heating situation. Currently using a little fan heater, which probably costs a fortune. 😳

Are those oil-filled radiators good? Do need something that heats up the space fairly quickly, as it can be pretty cold down there in winter. Don’t want to be waiting 2 hours or so until it’s actually bearable.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Heh.

Trouser inferno

*Sniggers*

footflaps

I just use a couple of electric heaters

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pmUWcJ]Electric heater in Workshop[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

iainc

I just open the door from the kitchen…….kitchen gets pretty cold quickly mind you as temperatures equalise – this morning the kitchen was at 21 degrees and the garage 4 degrees, seperated by a thick fire door with a draught excluder 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fan heater. More clothes (fondly remembering the days when I had a man cabe / garage 😐 )

OP well insulated is the key but you have already addressed that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a wee gas bombola.

works for me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Oil heaters are shite, too slow and no forced draught. Under bench fan heater like a kick space?

Can also vouch for halogen heaters but you need to he careful, have one about 5′ above my desk at work and is painful when I stand up. Also easy to set things on fire with the get they give off, definitely a space as opposed to spot heating solution.

benp1

I just wear a few more clothes. But mine is leaky, and messy with dirt on the floor and leaves etc that blow through. I like it this way as I can leave my motorbike or a bike in there wet/dirty without worrying too much, and make things/tinker and blow the dirt/sawdust etc straight on the floor

I do have a little fan heater in there if I’m in there for a stint, but it’s rarely on unless I’m there a while and it’s baltic

totalshell

i use a 5kw electric fan heater in my single garage and it takes 30 mins to make it warm i run a draught excluder under the garage up and over door and i ve put a false plasterboard ceiling in the vaulted ceiling with down lighters.. simple cheap but effective.. i have a mate who has a garage you cold get two buses in and he runs a gas blower and a wood burning stove and keeping the stove supplied with wood is the only thing that keeps him warm..

Gary_M
    Free Member

I use a wee fan heater, 2kw I think. Doesn’t take long to get the non insulated garage up to a comfortable temperature. In this weather, ie bloody cold, I usually switch it on 15 minutes before its time to leave in the morning, I ride to work, and stick my boots in front of it

I have a big hoofin 3kw fan heater, works very well

Any link to this? I bought one before and it was utter rubbish, just blew cold air until the element heated up. The small one I have is pretty instant heat.

iainc

^^^^^ you might be needing the snowshoes tonight Gary 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh sky is looking a bit gray and it’s gone that pre snow quiet way outside. I do love a snowy ride across the moor. And I’ll have a tailwind 🙂

iainc

🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Garage/Man Cave heating’ is closed to new replies.