• This topic has 20 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • G Form Protection
  • stayhigh

Morning All

Has or does anyone use these pads;

http://www.g-formuk.com/products/knee-pads.html

I’ve seen them advertised and like the idea of a low profile, flexable pad however wonder about real life impact protection and whether the padded secetions would tear easily?

What say the hive mind?

jonnyrockymountain

I have both elbow and knee one word brilliant

flyingmonkeycorps

I didn’t get on with them, but I think that was down to the fit not being right. I love the idea, I’m just the wrong shape.

elredso
    Free Member

me and the misses both have them – they are great for all day rides – hardly notice them

elbows tend to stay in place OK, but knees can bunch a bit – not an issue when you have shorts on , as easy enough to re-jig

protection wise they seem fine, although not had a massive spill yet – would say XC riding only really though, figure if nothing else they could be the difference between hitting a bit of slate and walking away, or heading over to a+e for stitches

stayhigh

Have you had a tumble in them, how well have stood up? They look very soft?

FuzzyWuzzy

I have the leg and elbow ones – best pads I’ve owned for XC/trail centre stuff. The first set of leg pads I bought were too small (despite me ordering the right size as per their guide) but the next size up has been great. I’ve only had one decent off involving landing on my knees, they worked well and I just got a bit of a carpet type burn where I guess it moved when taking the impact force. I wash them after every ride to so no minging pads and they’ve held up very well (inc. 1400 rpm spin dry).
    At this time of year they’re not much different to wearing arm warmers comfort/convenience-wise, used them in Spain last year (up to about 35c ) and they’re hot but bearable, easy enough to take off quickly anyhow though.

DrP

They look like 661 evo pads, but naked ones…..

DrP

stayhigh

Hmmm, very tempted, would be replacing my Kyle Straits.

roddi18
    Free Member

The elbow pads are brilliant. I use them for dh and some trail rides. They are light, very comfortable and have stood up to some big hits against rock. I have had the POC ones before and would rate the g-form as far, far better. POC is shite in my opinion. They are on sale on Sport pursuits at the moment. I have just ordered the impact shorts.

FuzzyWuzzy

My pre-g-form pads were 661 Evo’s but I always found they were hard to get tight enough not to slip (elbows) yet not cut off my circulation, they also started falling apart fairly quickly. The knees stayed put a bit better but you’re much more concious of wearing them than g-forms. I’ve also used POC veggies and bones and both are nowhere near as comfy as the g-forms but granted the bones probably offer better protection and I still use those for DH.

stayhigh

So all good for trail riding, xc and trail centres then? Any others had any issues with sizing? My KS’s are a large FWIW.

MasterOfNone
    Free Member

Bought a set of the knee pads a few weeks ago for Enduro use. Had a shake down ride and seemed to work well. not used pads before but these were not really noticable and no hindrence to pedalling.

Only problem i have is they are now half price on Sport pursuit! 🙁

wobbem
    Free Member

I crashed in Wales in the knee pads, landed on flinty rock at speed, the pads ripped, then twisted around my leg thus exposing my knee cap to the rock. They now sit in a drawer in half taty pieces marked for light use only.

grum
    Free Member

Only problem i have is they are now half price on Sport pursuit!

ORLY?

Anyone know what size I need if I’m a L in 661 Kyle Straits? Ta.

jsync

I have a set of elbows in large for sale as I ordered them along with the mediums but was too slow to return them. I use mine for piece of mind in rocky terrain or when I’m not too confident. They are very low profile and fit under my long sleeved tops without issue. Comfort wise they are fit and forget.

2bit

jsync – I’m interested in the Gform elbows depending on price, condition & colour

Cheers

jsync

2bit – email sent.

flyingmonkeycorps

ORLY?

Anyone know what size I need if I’m a L in 661 Kyle Straits? Ta.

The biggest ones. I’m a (snug) medium in Kyle Straits, and the XL G Forms were borderline too tight – I managed to tear them putting them on, but I did get a refund on them.

Now wearing Bluegrass Bobcat D30 ones, which are much closer to the Kyle Straits.

grum
    Free Member

Cheers for that – only Large and XXXL left now on SportPursuit so it sounds like a no go anyway. I guess I could order the XXXL and see, but it just seems they should be way too big!

flyingmonkeycorps

You might be ok with the XXXL, though you might not… There didn’t seem to be *that* much difference between the L and XL. I could probably have gone for an XXL at a push.

grum
    Free Member

Hmm might try one then, I can always send it back. Probably worth a punt for £22.50. Thanks again.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘G Form Protection’ is closed to new replies.