Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 173 total)
  • Future classic cars
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

squirrelking
    Free Member

Get out!

Superficial
    Free Member

If we’re all going to be driving electric cars in 20 years (and it looks like we are, or perhaps just 3-cyl econo engines) then something with a big characterful engine would get my vote. There will always be small sporty cars that handle nicely, but the feel of a grunty engine (especially NA) may be on its way out.

So the e92 M3 is a good shout IMO.
    V8 Mustang for being unapologetically brash
    Any ferrari / porsche maybe even including boxsters

The only problem is that we can’t predict what sort of tax sanctions will exist. These cars may prohibitively expensive to run.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Sorry, I’m still laughing at the MG ZT suggestion from page 1 😆

simmy
    Free Member

Focus RS just started production and looking at the last RS, the values stay up.

I had a bit of spare money a few years ago and looked at buying a Sapphire RS. They were going for £ 8-9 k for a good one, now they are upto £ 13-15 k. Spent the money on my house instead so didn’t just blow it on Coke and……

I think the high spec cars of ” normal ” cars will appreciate. Like had been said, try to find a Renault 5 GT Turbo these days. Fiat Uno Turbo, Fiesta RS, XR3i always go up in value.

If I had any spare cash, I’d be looking Corsa VXR, Fiesta ST etc.

Probably completely wrong and this list just proves I’m a chav boy racer at heart. 😀

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Re GT-86
    I love them the chassis is a joy and there’s enough grunt to use fully in novice hands, however on paper they look poor value in terms of power to the majority, despite how lovely they are to drive. Just not enough bhp these days when your average rep mobile is matching its output. I just don’t think uk market gets them when bhp and 0-60 sells cars. The facelift version looks worse imho. As approved used prices are dropping fast I think they could become a bargain.

More poke, Sir?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604052666387?page=1&search-target=usedcars&radius=1500&model=brz&postcode=GU7%202RA&searchcontext=default&onesearchad=used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew&sort=locasc&seller-type=private_adverts&make=subaru&logcode=p

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Do the rear seats fold flat? There’s got to be enough room in there for a couple of terriers, shirley?

Not sure I’d spend £30k on one though…

parkesie
    Free Member

Ford racing puma.

dannybgoode

@lapdog the C6 is an interesting choice – great car. Genuine question though – can you think of any other diesel that has gone on to be a classic? The C6 only comes with an oil burner and I’m struggling to think of any that have gone on to be considered a classic.

squirrelking
    Free Member

C5 will be the last model with hydro pneumatic suspension, thats one to go for.

redthunder
    Free Member

Run away….!

ski
    Free Member

Those smart car things, not many are seen outside the M25, look awful, but the owners see
    M happy with them

BadlyWiredDog

I’m laughing my butt off and some of these calls. I can’t imagine any of the Japanese cars being suggested being anything other than curiosities rather then acknowledged ‘classisc’, likewise the only way some of those chavved-up super minis will ever achieve chassic status is if the water supply is contaminated with strong haluciogenics.

Surely proper future classics have to have a few things going for them. One is ‘thing’, if you like, the indefiniable magic bit, Corrados – I’m biased – air-cooled Porsche 911s, old Minis, original Beetles, Karmans, Jaguar E-types are all different, but all have ‘it’, so does the Citroen DS and even the 2CV. Saxos and Novas do not have it, some Fords oddly do, but mostly they’ve all disintegrated by now.

Which makes for point two: they need to have a certain rarity, if there are billions out there, they aren’t ‘classic’, they are simply old cars. That’s the difference between Mk1 Golf GTis and Mk2s, at the moment there are simply too many of the later cars around, though that’s changing.

Three, a car can be really good functionally, but still not be a classic in waiting – eg all sorts of identikit BMWs, Audis etc. They can be ‘classics’ to a handfull of model enthusiasts, sure, but to be genuinely sought after, they need to have a more general cachet, surely?

That’s my take anyway.

Superficial
    Free Member

Even that is quite sluggish though.

Define sluggish. 280bhp, 0-62mph in 4.9s apparently, with (presumably) well-sorted handling. I doubt there’s much that would keep up in twisties.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m laughing my butt off and some of these calls. I can’t imagine any of the Japanese cars being suggested being anything other than curiosities rather then acknowledged ‘classisc’, likewise the only way some of those chavved-up super minis will ever achieve chassic status is if the water supply is contaminated with strong haluciogenics.

Balls. DC2 Integra was rated as the best performance FWD car of its time, its successor, whilst having a better engine, wasn’t a shade on its predecessor. And none of the cars are being suggested in “chavved up” form, in fact the rarity lies in the fact it’s so hard to find a mint unmolested example.

VTEC Hondas are a ‘thing’ like hydro pneumatic Citroens, air cooled VW’s and such. Just because it doesn’t command a six or high five figure sum at auction it doesn’t mean it’s not a classic. I can guarantee that a lot of J-tin will be a hell of a lot more sought after than some of the BMC / Leyland / Rover / that weeks name shite that currently passes for classics.

richmars

As squirrelking says. The Honda NSX not a classic?

dannybgoode

And the early Nissan Z cars plus the earlier Skyline GTR’s are most definitely in classic territory.

Late 80’s really 90’s Celica’s and Supra’s are getting there…

slowoldman

I think gofasterstripes is right. I’m still tempted to pick up an A2 as the everyday runabout.

Edukator
    Free Member

The Mitsubishi Evo groupe A was the rally car closest to the road car to win the world rally championship in a couple of decades. The Evo IV, V and VI can be had for under £10 000.

njee20
    Free Member

Define sluggish. 280bhp, 0-62mph in 4.9s apparently, with (presumably) well-sorted handling. I doubt there’s much that would keep up in twisties.

According to the tech specs in the advert it’s 197bhp, and 7.6 0-60, possibly wrong, but that’s a daft thing to get wrong on a performance car on a classified ad! I never quite get cars like that on auto trader; It’s 5 months old… £30k… Who’d buy private?! I’d also have a Golf GTI or possibly an R for that money, the former being quicker, the latter being much quicker! Get that that’s personal though.

hot_fiat

Edit:just seen the date on the ad

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

According to the tech specs in the advert it’s 197bhp, and 7.6 0-60, possibly wrong, but that’s a daft thing to get wrong on a performance car on a classified ad! I never quite get cars like that on auto trader; It’s 5 months old… £30k… Who’d buy private?! I’d also have a Golf GTI or possibly an R for that money, the former being quicker, the latter being much quicker! Get that that’s personal though.

POSTED 11 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST
    The performance figures on Autotrader are automatically listed for any make of car. You cannot alter them. Those displayed are for the standard car.
    Stick a supercharger on it, even a light blower, and it’ll be substantially quicker.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog,

Three, a car can be really good functionally, but still not be a classic in waiting – eg all sorts of identikit BMWs, Audis etc. They can be ‘classics’ to a handfull of model enthusiasts, sure, but to be genuinely …… Yes I agree there’s plenty of BMW’s & Audis out there but even normal! E46 M3’s are going up in value & there’s lots of them around, the original LHD M3 is like rockinghorse poo & a tidy one is now commanding serious money, in part due to it’s racing heritage, I wish I could say the same about the M3 CSL I had, no racing history to speak of but prices have gone through the roof, that said I think there are only around 230 left on the road.

Very quick in my book, awesome sound track & I couldn’t drive it to save my life but the grin was huge.

It has to be something other than your run of the mill stuff & no disrespect but a corsa, 106 or that type of car will not go up in value.

Superficial
    Free Member

As per Suburbanreuban, those stats are for the standard car, not the supercharged version. I’d be surprised if a Golf R could keep up with that thing (at least in the dry) and a GTI would be left for dead.

But I’m with you on the fact that he’ll probably struggle to sell that car privately. Most people for that money would want a dealer warranty, trade-in facility, finance etc.

njee20
    Free Member

As per Suburbanreuban, those stats are for the standard car, not the supercharged version. I’d be surprised if a Golf R could keep up with that thing (at least in the dry) and a GTI would be left for dead

Makes sense! Golf R is still quicker and more powerful on paper – no idea in real life/twisty stuff. Still, we digress, and I’d still have the Golf myself.

lapdog
    Free Member

Dannybgoode – good question about whether any diesels are or will be classics? Not many come to mind. I do think the Citroen C6 maybe the exception though. The last of the great line of hydro pneumatic big citroens – DS, SM, CX, XM, C6. I don’t really count a C5 as a top of the line big mad Citroen (also more common than a C6). It is also rare only 23,000 made worldwide during its production. It’s a French presidential car -Chirac and Hollande drive them. It’s beautiful (in a quirky way). Full of gadgets. Things go wrong with it (it is French) which is also a sure fire necessity to be a classic.

dannybgoode

I’m tempted by one lapdog – great cars and holding their value well.

That said I’m looking for something a bit silly next so an Alfa GT V6 is at the top of the list currently and that will become a classic. No doubt about it…

T1000
    Free Member

Dannybgoode, lapdog I thought they sold a 3 litre V 6 C6 petrol for a while?

stevehine

@suburbanreuben

Yes; the back seats fold completely flat; you can fit a whole spare set of wheels in there so you can drive to the track; swap your wheels for something stickier then pop the normal ones back on to get home.

And regarding them being sluggish – I’ll happily take anyone out for a spin in mine; you just might change your mind. Being able to carry a bit more speed through a corner and getting a better drive out of it is fair more worthwhile than being able to just plant yer foot and go ‘whhoooosh!’ in a straight line.

Still; I guess you could say that about any car – until you’ve been in one whilst it’s driven hard you never know what a car can really do.

dannybgoode

Dannybgoode, lapdog I thought they sold a 3 litre V 6 C6 petrol for a while?

Just looked – indeed they did. Now to find one 🙂

lapdog
    Free Member

Dannybgoode. Good luck finding a 3 litre V6 petrol. I think the diesels were by far the most common for a relatively uncommon car. They are cool in my opinion though. Even Top Gear put them at the far end of cool on their cool board from memory?

MrSmith
    Free Member

no idea in real life/twisty stuff.

What like at a track day?
    Or do you all drive like super hero’s on the queens highway cos you got the skillz? Which I guess is fine until somebody loses a leg.

I love all this car talk, real man stuff.

And regarding them being sluggish – I’ll happily take anyone out for a spin in mine; you just might change your mind. Being able to carry a bit more speed through a corner and getting a better drive out of it is fair more worthwhile than being able to just plant yer foot and go ‘whhoooosh!’ in a straight line.

Still; I guess you could say that about any car – until you’ve been in one whilst it’s driven hard you never know what a car can really do.

I would love to take you up on your offer but no idea how I would disguise my hard-on 😳

stevehine

@MrSmith

Yes; I bought my car because it’s fun to drive. And yes; I do go to track days – because that’s the correct place for driving quickly and improving your driving skills. Nowhere did I claim to be breaking the law; nor driving like an idiot. It was a genuine “people claim it to be slow because of the performance figures on paper” without ever having sat in one.

Cheers for the attention though.

Offer still stands; I’ll lend you a towel. 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog – Member

All it takes is one magazine article, one film, one episode of Top Gear etc to turn an obscure curiosity into a classic. People are stupid and fickle like that.

Surely proper future classics have to have a few things going for them. One is ‘thing’, if you like, the indefiniable magic bit, Corrados – I’m biased

Nothing special about Corrados. An ugly wedge but each to their own. However the “Vag scene” is so large and so popular that virtually anything with a VW/Audi badge will at some point attain cult status, the rarer/faster/sportier the quicker they will attain that status.

Which makes for point two: they need to have a certain rarity, if there are billions out there, they aren’t ‘classic’, they are simply old cars. That’s the difference between Mk1 Golf GTis and Mk2s, at the moment there are simply too many of the later cars around, though that’s changing.

The average shelf life of a new car now is 12 years. Just by normal progress of time all cars will become rarer and rarer and rarer. When was the last time you saw one of these?

There were 3.3 million of them at one stage.

Three, a car can be really good functionally, but still not be a classic in waiting – eg all sorts of identikit BMWs, Audis etc. They can be ‘classics’ to a handfull of model enthusiasts, sure, but to be genuinely sought after, they need to have a more general cachet, surely?

See any Vag car.

bikebouy
    Free Member

With all the performance related toys on here I think a boggo <20k on the clock Smart Fortwo Mk1 in unfettled condition will be worth a punt.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just not enough bhp these days when your average rep mobile is matching its output.

Disagree, a drivers car is not about power, its about how it drives.

Personally I think this is future classic already, where as its predecessor Mk3 was shocking

johndoh
    Free Member

I love the new MX5 from the front/side but the rear end does disappoint a little.

epicyclo

The big money will be in mint Morris Marinas – those that avoided falling piano syndrome.

How many left on the road?

johndoh
    Free Member

I have to agree with this – I was taken up a closed road (Harewood Hill Climb) in a bog-standard BMW 320 by an instructor and it utterly terrified me – he was braking so late and going through corners so quickly it astounded me.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Future classic cars’ is closed to new replies.