Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Fun singlespeed hardtail?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Well I have a bit of sellers remorse a few months after selling my Blender. Was probably the funnest all rounder bike I’ve had as well! May be able to afford a new bike build so I’m tempted to build up a fun “rag round the woods and take to the jumps when I dont fancy my bmx” type bike. The Blender was almost perfect for this but probably a bit slack for proper djs and pedalling around at all. And it has vertical dropouts – I really want horizontal dropouts/swap outs as all tensioners are a bit crap.

Was tempted to just get another trailstar but preferred the lower bb and standover on the Blender. Was looking at the dmr omen but 14″ seat tube may become a problem if I want to sit down and ride it. Not fussed about frame material, alu might even make a nice change as I always end up with heavyish steel builds!

Any ideas?

ska-49
    Free Member

Whats your budget?

_tom_
    Free Member

£300 ish for the frame maybe, willing to go 2nd hand.

matther01
    Free Member

Give me a shout if you’re interested in a brand new American Classic SS hub for your build.

flashes
    Free Member

On one….

Moses

pfft. £300?
    I’d flog you a Dawes Edge One frame for £85.
    Aluminium, no disc brake fittings, nice condition, 17″.
    The first of the big manufacturers’ singlespeed frames.
    It’s now replaced by a Haro Mary, which I love

_tom_
    Free Member

On ones seem far too long to be any fun on jumps. More of an xc type geometry aren’t they? I want short chain stays and fun!

Have to say the new Giant STP looks really nice!

ahhhjrene
    Free Member

I’ve got an evil faction in the cupboard you could have for 100 plus postage. Includes FSA Impact headset.

kudos100
    Free Member

I love my kona Cowan. Decent geometry and reasonably cheap. STP is also a good shout.

I’d love one of the new spesh p3’s, but I don’t think you can get them in the UK.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Well, if you can find one, Ibis Tranny.

Easy to do at 20lb.

Problem solved.

_tom_
    Free Member

The Evil is tempting but again I think the seat tube will be a bit short. Like I said the Blender at 16″ was about perfect but I really don’t like any of the tensioner options available for vertical dropouts and its quite slack.

As for the Ibis, bit expensive and carbon is probably not ideal for the sort of bike I have in mind!

Jimalmighty
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to buy another Blender…

eviljoe
    Free Member

I single speeded an Orange Mis isle with old Z1’s on, and dead pleased with it. Nice and chuck able great for zipping around Haldon on 🙂

pryally
    Free Member

sanderson soloist 853 – I may have one to sell

ssboggy

Secondhand Cotic Simple 26er, same geometry as the Soul but with SS dropouts

towen
    Free Member

I’d go second hand; I picked up a Spot from the STW classifides a few years back for £275 and its the best thing I’ve ever done.

may be a tad out of your price range but I’m liking the look of the new Spot Brand Honey Badger

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Can I forward a recommendation for the Dialled Love/Hate at this point EBB and great fun with many build options…

Sorely tempted to get myself another one, one bike I miss riding

nbt

The Santa Cruz chameleon would seem to be the perfect bike for what you want

mangoridebike

dialled love/hate

Phill Wood EBB for rock solid chain tensioning and if you pick up a mk1 it should have a mech hanger for it you change your mind and want to pop gears on.

_tom_
    Free Member

Jimalmighty, I think you may be right, however I’m really not convinced by any tensioner options at the minute.

A small older style chameleon would be fun!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

ron jeremy – Member
    Can I forward a recommendation for the Dialled Love/Hate at this point EBB and great fun with many build options…

Sorely tempted to get myself another one, one bike I miss riding

+1

Love mine to bits..

_tom_
    Free Member

Hows the love hate for proper jumps? Seems quite long on the tt and chainstays. But the price is good and they do look nice!

mangoridebike

I’m not really a jumper but it is the bike that I’m most comfortable on in the air.

Dialled Mike has a bmx background ithink and everything he designs seems to come with a flavour of bmx in the way it rides.

nimo
    Free Member

how about my stanton slackline frame, it is not even unwrapped from being being bought new in febuary this year but lack of funds means it has to go. £325. not horizontal drop outs buts suits all your other requirments and is truly lovely!!!!
    nimo1972@googlemail.com

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    mattjg
    Free Member

Have a medium Love/Hate that needs a good home. £175 (collected from Dorking or I can bring to SSUK hopefully) including black Hope headset (except the crown race which you can get from CRC).

Grade B, a few scuffs and scratches, nothing to spoil the enjoyment of the ride.

I concur it’s a brill frame, I ride 29 now otherwise I’d be keeping it.

For pics look up the 1 Cog group on Facebook or mail me.

_tom_
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’d definitely be going for the small option if I went for a love hate!

Duffer
    Free Member

Teetosugars – every time I see that bike I fall in love with it all over again. I also find myself googling lefty forks! Best looking bike on STW in my humble opinion… if only t’were an on-one, t’would be perfect! 😉

Did you ever do a build thread?

_tom_
    Free Member

Thinking I may actually just do what I was gonna do before getting the Blender and try to find an NS Surge with those sliding vertical dropouts. I know theyre designed for forks as short as 120mm but any ideas if they actually ride well with the front end and bb at that height?

jeff

s/h Evil Sovereign – long seat tube, designed for decent length fork and slidey drop outs.

I had a blender too, the sov is much more versatile.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2nd hand chameleon?

Love/Hate is an XC/trail frame, not a jump frame. You’re free to jump it if you like though.

_tom_
    Free Member

Thought so 🙂 Just gonna keep an eye out for a 2nd hand EBB Chameleon I reckon. If it’s anything like my old Bullit it’ll be well fun.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Fun singlespeed hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.