Home Forums Bike Forum Full face helmet sizing question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Full face helmet sizing question
  • Mounty_73

Someone I know called and asked me yesterday if I knew where to get a full face helmet from.  It is for her grandson but apparently it needs to be XXL (I am sure she measure his head and said around 60-62cm)as he has a big head.

Any suggestions on which brands offer big helmets?

ditch_jockey

Sport pursuit has POC helmets on sale just now – they tend towards the roomy, speaking as a Sputnik head myself.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

XXL (I am sure she measure his head and said around 60-62cm

Can you get them to clarify which it is, as 62cm is not that big.  Right enough, it is big, but not XXL

I am about 63.5cm and the only FF that has ever fitted out of the box is the Seven7 IDP.

I also have a 661 of some description which just fitted with the MIps ripped out.  Most other helmets only fit once I have ground out some polystyrene with a flame/file/ sandpaper.

nickewen
    Free Member

I have a 62-3cm heed and both my FF helmets are Troy Lee Designs, biggest one they do – XL/XXL I think they call it. However, most manufacturers make different size helmets and it’s just as much about shape as size. I have a TLD shaped heed for FF and Giro for normal lids. HTH

danybikey
    Free Member

I think it would be best to visit a physical store, so the grandson can try several helmets on for a nice fit. Different brands may have different sizes, so the store should sell multi-brands.

hooli

I have a 61cm noggin and have a 7IDP and a Bell full face, in open face (Assume sizing is the same?) Giro, 661 and Fox all fit fine. The helmets are all sized as large or XL so I wouldn’t look for XXL but use the size guide.

Troy lee do a Xl/XXL but when I tried it on it was absolutely massive.

intheborders
    Free Member

Having bought helmets (full & open) for decades (mainly motorcycle, but also for the MTB) the ONLY sure way of getting the ‘right’ fit is to try them on.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It really does come down to trying hem on, especially in XXL as it’s not like you can just go up a size to make room for a head shape other than the exact one it was made for.

661 / Bell / Giro (all the same company) do at least two different shapes, one is much longer front to back, more like a Schuberth motorcycle helmet. POC are almost circular meaning they won’t even begin to go onto my head.

One thing to note is it’s tempting tk pull them down at.the front to feel like they are covering their jaw, it’s not meant to work like that and the edge above your eyes will dig into your forehead or put pressure on the front part of your scalp.  Most helmets fit tilted back as far as comfortable, you should get at least two fingers width above your eyebrows, i.e. there should be room for some goggles and some room for airflow above them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.