Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Front mech shim bodgery – what do you use?
  • martinhutch

I’m just finishing off a soul build, and the whole thing is done except for the front mech, due to a bit of an ordering cock-up at a large internet-based supplier…

Basically I’ve got the mech, but no spacers to stick it on the 28.6 post. What are the best bodges people use so I can get it running while I wait for it to be sorted out?

mattrgee
    Free Member

Your LBS are bound to have one they can give you.

khani
    Free Member

A riding buddy phone around for some spare/leftover front mech shims…

charliedontsurf

On some sizes a headset spacer cut in half fits perfectly.

You can buy shims specifically for this job.

Dancake
    Free Member

I recently used one of the rubber shims that came with my crudcatcher.
    Slipped a bit but kept me going until I got hold of the proper bits

Sandwich

Cynic Al should be along soon with a cutlery based answer.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Been using rubber crudguard shim on dialled alpine for about 2 years, had forgotten I’d ‘bodged’ it til I saw the thread.

ThePinkster

A long strip of innertube wrapped tight around the seat tube and held in place with insulating tape.
    Not done it like this for a while now but seem to remember it working quite well.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Strips of aluminium can, beer or energy drink etc wrapped in ptfe or insulating tape.

wukfit
    Free Member

My first thoughts were either inner tube or beer can, so I feel better about my past bodges given these had already been suggested,
    I’ve got the shims that came with my xt front mech, if these are any use to you send me your address and I’ll pop them in the post

martinhutch

Cheers all – the inner tube solution did come to mind, and I’ve got a couple of headset spacers, so might give that a go. How about a section of plumbing pipe cut in half?

Wukfit – thanks for the offer – if I’m getting nowhere with customer service, then I might well take you up on it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Front mech shim bodgery – what do you use?’ is closed to new replies.