Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Front fog lights
  • neilthewheel

Is it foggy? No? Then turn ’em off, FFS!

alibongo001

Also if ther is no car in the inside lane for 4 miles, why not use it?

maccruiskeen

but, but – they’re optional extras – what the point in paying extra for them if you’re not going to switch them on at every opportunity?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Why does it bother you? People give the reason that they’re blinding, from my experience they’re not. You’re just trying to control something you can’t control. Get stressed about something that matters and stop trying to control a situation you can’t control.

neilthewheel

You’re just trying to control something you can’t control. Get stressed about something that matters and stop trying to control a situation you can’t control.

Got your fog lights on, pebblebeach?

timidwheeler

They are blinding when at the wrong angle and when there is a lot of standing water around. They should not be on unless visability is less than 100M.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

But on most new cars the lights where fog lights would traditionally of been are just driving lights to comply with some EU ruling due in the next year or so.

Can’t say I’ve ever been blinded by fog lamps.

cyclistm
    Free Member

in fairness fog lights can be offputting, driving lights don’t tend to be.

Cougar

Why does it bother you? People give the reason that they’re blinding, from my experience they’re not.

Your experience differs to mine.

fbk
    Free Member

Agree with the OP but rear ones are far far more annoying. It’s not foggy, I can see where you are coz I’m only about 15yds behind you on a single carriageway road…..turn the F’ing things off……please 🙂

maccruiskeen

Are rear fogs a UK only requirement? I’ve always been struck that the switch for them always seems to have been fitted as a bit of an after thought, usually amongst blanked off spaces for auxillury niknaks – you can’t actually see the switch on my motor you have to feel around for it as its obscured by the steering wheel.

rocketman
    Free Member

Probably best to expect nothing from fellow road users, thus avoiding disappointment.

Was following a van for a short distance at lunchtime both tailights were kind of half on and when he braked one brake light came on and the other tailight went off completely

The one foglight was on as well but the cover was broken so it was flickering bright white. Only one number plate light as well.

Otherwise OK 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever been blinded by fog lamps.

Nahh. Me neither. Not front ones. Anyone who’s blinded by fog lights really needs to rethink where they are looking!
    This subject cropped up on STW some time go and I went out and took pics if our Focus’ beam pattern on dip beam and then with just the fogs on. It’s very clear that the fog light beam sits well below the dip beam and doesn’t stand a cat in hells chance if dazzling anyone.
    Those new, undipped, LED running lights are awful for it though. They have no beam that’s actually aimed at the roads as far as I can see. Bloody awful things.

matt_outandabout

Nahh. Me neither. Not front ones. Anyone who’s blinded by fog lights really needs to rethink where they are looking!

Try driving along a rolling / crested singletrack road this morning at 7:00am – I was utterly blinded by them.
    The locals here even turn onto sidelights when in a passing place because of this.

djglover
    Free Member

good ‘fog’ lights are great for making progress down unlit country roads. I guess they should be called driving lights

Anyway, mine seem to have a setting which means they stay on all the time but a bit dimmer. Daylight running lights I think they are called.

Anyway, best not get too het up about it.

maccruiskeen

Try driving along a rolling / crested singletrack road this morning at 7:00am – I was utterly blinded by them.

clean the inside of your windscreen (using plenty of elbow grease and dry newspaper) and fit new windscreen wipers.

timidwheeler

DRLs are different to fog lights.

I am not sure why there is a debate, the highway code is clear –

“You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27”

The Highway Code is indeed clear – it just makes me laugh that so many people get het up about it, just because it’s in there and wanting to find something to get worked up about, that doesn’t infact really bother them if they are honest.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Foglights on when it’s not foggy is useful for identifying people who are massive penises, or just too stupid to realise what certain switches & lights on the dashboard are for. Either way, you wouldn’t trust them to sit the right way on the toilet.

😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

front fog lights fine, rear not in resaonable viz

@OP how do you know the lights you saw are fog lights and not driving lights

Cougar

front fog lights fine illegal

FTFY.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Got your fog lights on, pebblebeach?

Only when the weather and driving conditions require them. But there is no point wasting your life trying to control situations you can’t control. You’ll get angry, have a heart attack and people will still use fog lighst at inappropriate time.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Agree with ‘fbk’ on the rears, far more irritating than the fronts.

Saying that some dipped-beam lights are far too bright imho.

To be perfectly honest most other drivers irritate me on most journies.

sweepy
    Free Member

They used to bug me, now I just think they are fantasizing about being in ‘The fast and the furious’ and find them a bit sad.

seven
    Free Member

Can’t believe I’ve never heard that phase before – love it. Don’t know why but just spat my tea over the keyboard

Thanks you 🙂

andrewh
    Free Member

Why does it bother you?

The rears can be positivley dangerous.
    Example. Middle lane hogger (obviously, seems to go hand in hand with using foglights inappropriately) on the M3 doing about 60mph. Fast, free flowing traffic. They look very much like brake lights. Absolute chaos behind him. Totally oblivious. Nearest I’ve come to a shunt on a motorway. I was in the inside land, came round a bend and saw him him, car to my right braked and swerved left to avoid whatever ‘obsticle’ he was braking for. Complete menace.

andycs

Followed an old Golf the other day. Every time she put her foot on the brake, the led brake lights that had been fitted flashed really fast for a couple of seconds and then stayed on. I thought I was going to have an epileptic fit!!

tazzymtb

I can see where you are coz I’m only about 15yds behind

hmmmmmm I think you need to check your braking distances mr.

bigyinn
    Free Member

It’s very clear that the fog light beam sits well below the dip beam and doesn’t stand a cat in hells chance if dazzling anyone.

What happens when the road it wet and they reflect off the surface then?

TheFopster
    Free Member

There is a reason they are placed low, and a reason you should not use them if it is not foggy. Shoot the buggers, I say. I blame Clarkson.

Haze

This used to bother me, but it slipped down the pecking order when I realised there are things that annoy me far more.

jd-boy
    Free Member

the law states that on dip beam lights should have no more wattage than 110 watts, thats 2 dip headlights, you are allowed what you like on full beam. you can get the wrong side of the law if you are above the wattage on dip beam, rear fog lights are law in the UK and they should only be used when its foggy below 100 metre or it very poor visability in rain, they are a pain at night in the rain, but you need to use discretion if you are BLINDING drivers behind you. also if you are in close traffic were you can see the car behind you, turn them off. Please, this comes from a driver that has covered over 75,000 miles year when on the road as part of my job. 😉

FeeFoo
    Free Member

In all the years I’ve been driving I’ve never been dazzled or blinded by front fog lights.

I have, however, come across some right nobends who like to quote the highway code in order to prove their self-righteousness.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They can be blinding especially on rolling and wet roads. However for double **** points side lights and fog lights only in the dark. If only the bulbs lasted 20hrs and cost £20 or put them on a timer. A few cars have them on an non positional switch so at least when you switched the engine off they are off.

angeldust
    Free Member

I only use my fog lights when it’s foggy and visibility is suitably poor.
    I have never been blinded by another cars fog lights.

breadcrumb

I had a Clio following me with sidelights and fogs on, not blinding but definitely annoying.

Was quite dark too, but I guess it’s ok coz it looked well wikid blud.

MrOvershoot

seven – Member

joao3v16 » Either way, you wouldn’t trust them to sit the right way on the toilet.

Can’t believe I’ve never heard that phase before – love it. Don’t know why but just spat my tea over the keyboard

Thanks you

Blackadder IIRC, tend to use it about most of our directors 😀

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Front fog lights’ is closed to new replies.