Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Frogs – early?
  • Kryton57

The annual pilgramage to our pond which hasnt been there for three years was announced last night as i felt a soft moving squidge underfoot as i walked to the mancave last night. No harm was done other than my inner cringe, but as my eyes adjusted i could see 4/5 of the little buggers staring at me, includimg a scary looking albino fellow.

So my annual stakeout pre dash to the shed to avoid a wet splosh on a bare leg has begun.

Anyone else noticed frogs / frogspawn yet?

welshfarmer

Not especially early. There has been frogs spawn here since early Feb. Did noticed several squished examples on the roads last night on our wed ride.

nickhit3
    Free Member

a pic of the albino one would be interesting btw. 😀

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve noticed the frogs out on night rides round me, for a good few weeks now.

After Saturday’s ride though I suffered with loads of bites around my shins and calves, are the midges coming early too?

redthunder
    Free Member

Spawn in both of my ponds.

Trimix
    Free Member

Three in my pond about two weeks ago looking shifty.

Up to no good I tell you.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Walked past my pond yesterday and it was suddenly churning with them. I knew they were hibernating there. N Yorks, feels like spring but that’s only relative to what we usually get, it’s not actually warm!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nearly ran over a toad attempting to cross the road last week. Hope the car behind didn’t mush him.
    there was also a quite dead, flat one in the gutter about a month ago.
    Towards the end of the summer I was mowing the lawn when the mower made a bit of a grinding noise, stopped it to find several webbed feet amongst the chopped grass. Felt quite guilty about that one, sorry!

BigJohn

Never mind frogs. Last night I tried out the new shower I had spent most of the afternoon and evening fitting. Feeling very pleased I put on my dressing gown to go downstairs and bask in the warm glow when – BANG – a wasp stung me right in the armpit.

The little stripy bastard had snuggled himself up in the folds of the dressing gown. That was the last thing he did though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Defo not early, Checked my strava to see when the last time I had ridden last weekends route in the Galloways, was 18th March last year. I recall there was spawn everywhere, all along the fireroad ditches.

Never seen any last week.

mtbfix

Saw one squashed on our road this morning. Spawn, or the beginnings of, had been shot out into the road too. Tadpoles that will never be 🙁

prawny

Loads on my commute last couple of weeks where I skirt around Chasewater, seems to have slowed down a bit this week.

crankboy
    Free Member

our pond has been active with frogs for about 2 weeks and has spawn for at least 3 days. Leeds west yorks

perchypanther
    Free Member

One thing is certain, they’ll never give in.

matt_outandabout

I can ask at the office next door if you like…

Leaping forward for reptiles and amphibians

vickypea
    Free Member

Saw a couple last night on a night ride

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Frogs – early?’ is closed to new replies.