Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Friday Patriotism thread. Whats the most British thing in the world?
  • AlexSimon

Cheers Binners!

TooTall
    Free Member

Some fish and chips on a union jack plate with a union jack flag stuck in them, being carried by Bradley Wiggins in his Team GB cycling top (and bowler hat) with a copy of The Times under his arm, on an open-top London bus going past Big Ben, with Land of Hope and Glory playing very loudly, being cheered by pearly kings and queens who are drinking pint mugs of tea and eating chicken tikka masala. Whilst being rained on.

British to the extreeem.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

in a couple of weeks time, I (a Scot) will be piloting a narrow boat across the Pontcysyllte aqueduct (in wales) en route to a pub in Shropshire (England) named after this guy
    Take your pick of Britishness – awesome engineering, pubs, celebrating mentalness

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

A monocled bulldog wearing a bowler hat, eating fish and chips in a red telephone box on a overcast day.

joao3v16
    Free Member

You forgot “wearing a Union Flag waistcoat”

ski
    Free Member

Another vote for our humor, its sometimes lost on folk from other countries, but we Brits seem to understand it most of the time 😉

Northwind

Basking in long-past glories.
    Closely followed by being bitter that we inevitably can’t match such glories any more.

Cougar

A monocled bulldog wearing in a bowler hat, eating fish and chips in a red telephone box on a overcast day.

Back when I was a student, I think I pulled her once as well.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sarcasm

TooTall
    Free Member

Another vote for our humor, its sometimes lost on folk from other countries, but we Brits seem to understand it most of the time

We even understand the American version of it as well.

/irony

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Discussing the weather . .

chasing cheese down a steep hill . . .

khani
    Free Member

jon1973
    Free Member

Sarcasm

Yeah, right. Sure it is.

saxabar
    Free Member

Quite like the fish and chips reference but as has probably been said above, that semblance of purism comes from Hungarian Jews. Curry it is then, if only for the overt multicultural pointer. Either way, I think I’m hungry!

Are there Chav’s in other countries?

jon1973
    Free Member

Are there Chav’s in other countries?

Chav’s what?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Gin & Tonic!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

For me, it’s simply the place itself. Britain is the most beautiful place in the world. We haven’t got big, or high or wide or massive, but we do small, pretty and quaint and better then anyone 🙂

IMG_1433 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1658 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1450 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

[/url]
    IMG_6281 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr[/img]

2002_0816_125948AA by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_1611 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

I see signs by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Yellow peril by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

IMG_5617 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

I could carry on for quite a while in this vein! 🙂

beefheart
    Free Member

The ‘get your tits out for the lads’ song.

binners

A big daft Geordie crying like a girl?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

PeterP, nice photos. Trying to locate 1450. Are you above Staveley somewhere?

alpin
    Free Member

sorry, ton, but that is definately a german thing.

what about

or

or

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Banging in about 1966, and how every time there’s a major Wendyball tournament on saying how it’s “your year” to win it… 😕

druidh
    Free Member

Pigface
    Free Member

Page 3

zippykona

Giving way to other cars. A Spanish friend couldn’t believe it when I let a car through and the other guy waved.
    She said you English are the friendliest people in the world. Also if its not your turn at the bar,pointing to the person who is.
    Johnny foreigner doesn’t do that,especially fritz.

Northwind

Teetosugars – Member

Banging in about 1966

Yes, very british.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Militant ignorance

busydog
    Free Member

Being from the US and thinking back to when I worked in the UK so long ago and a couple of visits since, I would have to say fish & chips—haven’t had them anywhere else in the world that even comes close–the ones I have tried here in the US are generally terrible.

Agree with the British sense of humor as well–having lived there for 6 months made me both understand it and appreciate it more.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Cricket.
    Wimbledon.
    Wierding out british tennis players so they get so far and then unexpectedly lose at Wimbledon.
    Sandwich pickle.
    Audax

montylikesbeer

riiich
    Free Member

Wiggo?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

😕

Cougar

Self-depreciation.

Pedantry.

Not making a fuss.

Chip butties. Never mind ‘fish and chips,’ does anywhere else in the world make chip butties?

Curry.

Weather that really just isn’t trying hard enough.

An obsession with that.

Ale.

Subtle humour.

Surreal humour.

Sarcasm.

Red pillarboxes & phoneboxes, black taxi cabs.

Using abuse as a term of endearment.

Being able to pinpoint where someone’s from to about 20 miles just from their accent.

The best cyclists in the world (-:

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Blind optimism when thinking that our ( insert sport here ) team are the best in the world and have a devine right to win the next world tournament .

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Excellent list, Cougar.

Using abuse as a term of endearment.

This is particularly true, numbnuts. 😉

CountZero

‘Hello, how are you?’
    ‘Oh, mustn’t grumble’ 😀

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I laughed TooTall. 😆

Mind you, I sometimes just laugh anyway. 😐

I find we are generally known abroad for being fair, lazy, and forever discussing the weather.

But for me, being British is all those quaint things, ploughmans lunch and a warm ale, G&T before dinner, cricket on the village green, the sports car, amateur motorsports…

Edit PS: montylikesbeer my mum knitted me some clangers I loved them so much as a kid!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Friday Patriotism thread. Whats the most British thing in the world?’ is closed to new replies.