Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Friday dilemma
  • donsimon
    Free Member

You’ve been going to a pub for a few years and enjoy the company of a few of the regulars. In this time you’ve had a couple of run ins with the landlord but nothing too serious.
    Recently you’ve discovered the runs ins are due to the landlord being a complete cock.
    Do you continue going and handing your hard earned into the pockets of said idiot?
    Or take your money elsewhere in these austere times in full knowledge that the doofus won’t understand the consequences of that and the negative that you’ll not have the company of a few acqaintances (not mates)?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kick him in the balls.

Or get ton to pay him one of his nighttime visits.

Lifer
    Free Member

If the pub’s good I’d say ignore the landlord. Or wee in his drip tray.

globalti
    Free Member

You’ve been going there a few years and have only just realised the landlord is a dickhead?

The landlord is THE pub, s/he creates the atmosphere and encourages or discourages customers who s/he wants to come back. How can it take you so long to realise this?

donsimon
    Free Member

He’s only recently started to display the dickheadery. I think most of the staff are ok but due to cutting down on staff the landlord has become more visible and vocal.
    My view is to hit him where it hurts as I’ve sent a fair few folks to the restaurant side, it doesn’t seem logical to me to continue lining the pockets of this idiot.

epicyclo

Having been thrown out of a few pubs in my time I’ve come to realise that pub landlords are dickheads too.

One quality of all dickhead landlords is that they unfairly discriminate against noisy exhibitionists with amazing fighting skills…

🙂

maccruiskeen

Or get ton to pay him one of his nighttime visits.

Nighttime? as in the sexy time? Fist Pie seems to mean something other than what I thought it did.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it depends on how often the land-lord is there. If he’s not behind the bar that often, I wouldn’t be too worried. If he lives behind the bar, then yeah probably time to move on. My local one can be a bit of an areshole sometimes (by his own admission), but most of the time he’s great, so it works out fine for me.

fatboyjon

I used to drink in a pub where we got on pretty well with the landlord, after hours whenever we wanted, free use of his fancy snooker room and a few other perks of regularly handing over our money. However, he went off to watch Engerland in some footie tournament and came back bragging about how many -insert various racist terms here – he’d fought while away. We were unsure about wether this was just really misplaced showing off or not, then he popped up on Panorama, on the big screen in the pub, leading the charge of the moron brigade.

We left. Most other people stopped going in when they heard and after a pretty lean 12 months, he left. Now the pub has a great couple in charge and is back doing brisk business.

Vote with your feet. Your community doesn’t need a moron taking their hardearned.

vinnyeh

the negative that you’ll not have the company of a few acqaintances (not mates)?

If they’re only acquaintances, then there’ll be more of the same elsewhere. Pubs are great like that.

Is it only you that’s reached this conclusion wrt the landlord?

GrahamS

I wouldn’t go to a pub where I didn’t get on with the landlord… mainly because I’ve worked behind a few bars and I know what he could do to your pint. 😯

bikebouy
    Free Member

My local (my new local) is most excellent, the LL’s a bit bolshie (not Bolshoi) brews his own beer’idge and sells food in the evenings only, you have a choice of steak and chips or the veggie option of egg and chips, that’s it. Oh he serves nuts and crisps. He’s an age limit too, you have to be 16 to get in, then accompanied by an adult. This pub is in a rural location deep in the South Downs farming community. I love it, totally.
    My old local was changed from a decent pub (local beers (Gales), local wine (Wickham Vineyards) into a begrudged “gastro” pub without the “gastro” (you know reheated slop from some factory or other) then garnished with Chives etc. etc. Anywhoo the LL was a grumpy old woman, still is, took me best part of 8 years going in there every Friday eve for end of week munchies and beer’idge with the OH (at the time) To this day she only ever says Hi once in a while, grumbles about the mass of customers (it’s on a wharf bang on the river with most excellent views) I get the feeling shes had enough of running pubs, but really I can’t see it improving if she goes.. Best of a bad choice IMO.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s times like these I think; What Would SBZ Do?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What Would SBZ Do?

He wouldn’t dither around like dondon’s doing. He is ManOfAction.

Junkyard
    Free Member

go on then Jamie make up something preposterous on the internet then cry wolf sometime later.

flip
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82BC2IzHg-o[/video]

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This seems like the ideal opportunity to practice your flouncing skills.

Make it clear that you never want to go back by getting deliberately barred?

Don’t forget to put your flouncing music onto the juke box…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo[/video]

binners

Landlords make a huge difference. We’ve had a right grumpy miserable sod as a temporary landlord in our local. He managed to virtually empty what is usually a pretty busy pub in the space of two months. The only redeeming feature was his proposal to charge CAMRA members more for their beer, on account of them being miserable, moaning bores.

The new landlord moved in this week. We popped in last night and everyone was back. And so was the atmosphere and banter. Seems like a nice fella too. Bodes well 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Friday dilemma’ is closed to new replies.