Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Freeze on MOT prices until 2015
  • Harry_the_Spider

So, if MOT prices are frozen until 2015 how much exactly will this save the average motorist?

We as a family have 2 cars that will need MOTing during the time period. As the maximum price for MOTs will be frozen at about £50 (IIRC) and it doesn’t cost me anything like that much anyway I calculate my saving to be approximately £0.00p x 2.

How much will it save you? How much have they spent coming up with this?

It sounds good, but doesn’t actually mean anything as far as I can tell.

Whatever next eh? Spending millions telling us that we can change out bank accounts if we want to?

wwaswas

Have you noticed how every announcement currently is targeted at ‘hardworking families’.

It’s such a cynical ploy.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I haven’t paid more than £30 for my MOT for the last 3-4 years.

alanf
    Free Member

^^^THIS: Does anyone actually pay the ‘maximum’ price for an MOT?

scaredypants

<puts away bunting>

you mean this isn’t a major bonus for my hardworking family ?

campkoala
    Free Member

Could be wrong but I think that’s Harrys point

naffrider
    Free Member

I remember being 17 and ringing up test center and asking for the cheapest MOT, haha, his laughter still haunts me 🙂

But yeah, the above is words without* content really as I’ve never paid more than £40 for mine.

EDIT: *

kimbers

kinda like the help for 1st time buyers to buy houses up to a price of 600k 😉

To be fair on Gideion he probably pays a fair bit at the bentley dealership to get his car MOTd so this seems like a good deal
    #allinittogether

and fwiw I live in london and I dont know any garage near me that charges that much!

Drac

£0

I’ve not paid for an MOT for about 10 years now.

parkesie
    Free Member

Assuming garages start charging the new amazing fixed at £50 for my benefit for being such a outstanding hard working chap ill be £15 out of pocket for every mot.

bails

Funny how localism, the free market and self reliance reigns supreme except for the poor beleagured motorist (and I am one, by the way).

“You want decent cycle lanes because people keep dying? Localism, not our problem.”

“Tuition fees? Well if you don’t pay more for them how can you know that they’re any good at teaching?”

“Overworked A&E departments? Patients will choose where to be treated and the market will sort everything out”

“SWEET ZOMBIE JESUS! Petrol at a service station is slightly more expensive than petrol in places with lots of competition, phone the prime minister, organise a COBRA meeting! And tell councils not to enforce parking rules. And set the maximum MOT price to a level higher than what anyone currently pays for them, NOW GODDAMMIT, NOOOOOOW!
    Phew, With any luck, we might just survive the night”

footflaps

<puts away bunting>

you mean this isn’t a major bonus for my hardworking family ?

No but you can now keep the first £3000 of income tax free from selling your children into slavery, so for that we can be truly grateful.

mrmo
    Free Member

^^^THIS: Does anyone actually pay the ‘maximum’ price for an MOT?

I do, well did, took it to the council on the basis they have no interest in failing me because of dodgy tyres/brakes etc.

Nothing in life is free, there is always a cost, just a matter of where.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im with mrmo- go to the council toget a fair test on the old jalopy. No interest in hooky tests i want to be safe but equally i dont want my old car used as cash cows.

Unfortunantly for them i do my own repairs.

Did hose me off wen i fixed the fail sheet on my mates bargain mot test from halfords – and he missed the retest . The car which had gone 6 miles from garage to my house and back and failed on a completely different set of made up points – his brake pads apparently needed changing…. He challenged this after presenting the new tester withthe old test paper and the retest was suddenly free an he passed.

Find a good garage you trust and keep em sweet is my opinion – regardless of the price of an mot – its small compared to the wouldbecost of repairs!

Northwind

I go to an honest garage that doens’t charge the max, best of both worlds.

footflaps

Lots of dealers offer cheap MOTs as a loss leader just to get you in the dealership….

z1ppy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24633528

£54.85 until 2015, paid £47 today to a garage I trust, is local and had a slot ASAP as my g/f had yet again forgot to get it done when it was due… (only last week tbf)

LHS
    Free Member

My last MOT cost me £1650 so i personally welcome the cap! 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I do, well did, took it to the council on the basis they have no interest in failing me because of dodgy tyres/brakes etc.

Nothing in life is free, there is always a cost, just a matter of where.

Paid £25-£30 at halfords and kwikfit, the former cost be £15 for a new numberplate bulb holder and petrol cap (dubious, how do you define that a 2W bulb is ‘dim’, but hardly moneymakers), the latter were arsey about rear seat’s being fitted (I treat the car as a van), but neither found or mentioned any unnececary work like brake pads etc.

If you’r car’s safe then there’s not much they can do to fail it. If it’s borderline then it’s the testers discretion whether it fails or not, and they have to make a judgement whether the wafer thin bit of pad remaining will last you to the next MOT, or whether it’s sensible to replace them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No they dont tinas – they have to decide if your car is presented safe. Nothing to do with it lasting till the next mot

matt_outandabout

My savings are greater, I own two cars. So therefore my savings are £0.00 x 2 cars x 2 years = £0.00 x 4.
    8)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Freeze on MOT prices until 2015’ is closed to new replies.