Home Forums Bike Forum Frame bearing replacement charges?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Frame bearing replacement charges?
  • Jordan

Just looking for an idea of standard charges for this job, is it on a per bearing basis or a flat rate?

Reason for asking is a mate has brought his bike around to be done as he knows I have the gear and do all my own stuff and he wants to pay me for doing it. It’s an older Pivot Mach 6 with ten bearings in total.

He brought it round with wheels and crankset removed so very little extra bits to remove. Not looking to charge an hourly rate as I will inevitably be slower than a bike shop who do it every day and don’t want to overcharge. It will most probably be mates rates but just looking for an idea to compare with real world charges. He has supplied the bearings.

Cheers!

Kramer
    Free Member

Last year replacing my bottom bracket and frame bearings cost me £270.

phil5556

I think my local guy that works in his shed charges £60 – £80 and my LBS £80 – £100.

Jordan

@phil5556 is that including bearings?

phil5556

Oh no! I paid about £70 for each of our 3 bikes earlier this year I think! We changed them ourselves for the first time too, in theory it should be cheaper in the long run now that we’ve bought everything.

I’m sure you can get cheaper bearings but I went for Enduro Max.

bikerevivesheffield

Depends on what needs doing.

£120 if bike is stripped £150 if still has parts on/needs putting back on

Not Inc bearings

Standard cost round here for multi pivot bikes

chiefgrooveguru

Surely it depends on how easy a job it is? Some frames have really inaccessible bearings mounted in the frame, so hard to get out and high consequence if you make a mistake whilst some are easy to get too and/or mounted in the links so it’s quick and you don’t damage the frame itself if it does go wrong.

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much of a mate/favour is it? If the frame were to crack while working on it, who’s going to sort it out?

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been quoted £200. Bike dropped off complete. They charge for the bearings and then labour on top. It isn’t fixed as sometimes it is straight forward and other times it can be a nightmare. Also depends on the frame. Mine is a carbon xc bike.withna fairly simple design.

bruneep

How much of a mate? A good one? If so get him to bring a case of beer and the 2 of you do together drink and speak shite and he learns at same time.

Not a good one….. to shop to save any fall back.

Jordan

Thanks for the info everyone, gives me something to go on. Cheers!

kelvin

We (Cotic) charge £150 including Enduro bearings.

jamiemcf

Just relaxed my foxy bearings (8no) £8 a bearing for ensuring max from Wych’s.

6 of them were in good condition so I degreased and relubed. 2 were knackered. 1 was thrown in the recycling and one is now my team’s call fidget spinner.

dc1988

I think I paid £10 per bearing labour (I supplied the bearings) almost 8 years ago and I’d stripped the frame.

DickBarton

If it is a mate and your aren’t a bike shop, so doing it as you do your own bike – get him to supply the bearings and £20?
    Or get him to supply bearings and you both doing it – you talk him through it.

tall_martin

It takes me a couple of hours too change my bearings with the specific tools for my frame.

But I’d be going with

How much of a mate/favour is it? If the frame were to crack while working on it, who’s going to sort it out?

Jordan

But I’d be going with

Must admit I didn’t really give that aspect much thought when I agreed to do it. Still a few years to go yet but I would quite like to do this kind of thing for a bit of part time retirement income. Better start looking into the cost of liability insurance.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

£100 Labour plus bearings .

We don’t fit customer supplied bearings unless they insist and I’m happy they are genuine ngk fag etc

We use enduro bearings which is pretty much the industry standard but I’ll be honest there are better bearings out there but cost is a factor

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.