Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Fracking protesters jailed but not on the BBC News page!
  • postierich
    Free Member

A barrister for one of the men told Preston crown court that they would become the first environmental activists to receive jail sentences for staging a protest in the UK since the mass trespass on Kinder Scout in the Peak District in 1932, which marked the beginning of the right-to-roam movement. Activists have previously been given jail sentences for charges related to their protests, like breaking injunctions and contempt of court.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/26/anti-fracking-activists-jailed-for-blackpool-cuadrilla-protest

On the local news but not the main site seems as though the Govt want to keep this one low key, seems very over the top the sentencing!!

I fear for this country if this is how low we can get to keep the big companies happy!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-45652464

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Both say they were jailed??

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Wow, 15 months for that. Crazy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The BBC aren’t the government, put your tin foil hat away.

I have a horse in this race having worked in the oil industry and now for the BBC as a subcontractor, makes you think.

winston
    Free Member

BBC coverage not withstanding this is a very nasty precedent. Certainly a small piece of news which will have a bigger impact than many people will currently be giving it credit for.

jonnyboi

Edit: should read the thread properly

matt_outandabout

The BBC are too busy reporting for the fourth day in a row about an attractive, white, middle class girl who died three years ago.

imnotverygood

These appear to be attractive, white,  middle class men, so I’m not sure what your point is.

rene59
    Free Member

The BBC are too busy reporting for the fourth day in a row about an attractive, white, middle class girl who died three years ago.

Not to mention the actress turned princess who closed a car door all by herself. Quality journalism right there.

paton
    Free Member

“I have a horse in this race having worked in the oil industry and now for the BBC as a subcontractor, makes you think.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrNF6bCB5Q

FuzzyWuzzy

Not buying into the conspiracy theory side but ffs 16 months is ridiculously out of proportion for what they did. If the judge is concerned about re-offending then give them all the 12 month suspended sentence (as one of them got), that way at least they’ll know in advance they’ll get a fairly long custodial sentence if they carry on with such protests.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Outrageous, utterly outrageous. I’d be appealing straight away.

Wasn’t like they were trespassing on a Forces base (Greenham Common etc)! Just some land with some builders machinery on.. like any building site anywhere in the country.

But happy to see the BBC still reporting some old buffer who was able to tap out morse code back in the 2WW.. ffs.

ajaj
    Free Member

Thought I’d look up other things that might get you 16 months:

Giselle McKenna got 16 months for armed robbery and kidnap in Windsor.

Jonathan Jennings for incitement to kill in Swansea.

Richard Trezise for doing gas work unqualified.

Calum Nann for multiple assaults with a weapon and biting a constable in Stornoway.

Aaron Darcy for attempted kidnap of a 10 yr old in Liverpool (but there are extenuating circumstances for that one).

Gary Green for killing an 11 yr old whilst driving drunk in Leeds.

Mobein Ali for killing two people by driving dangerously whilst banned in Manchester.

eddie11
    Free Member

Haven’t we established that the bbc website is rubbish and doesn’t have any news at all on it anymore?  This is therefore more of a hypothetical arguement about what coverage would a hypothetical bbc website have given it hypothetically in a world where it’s not shit?  In which case it’s hard to say

postierich
    Free Member

Local news Prince John

sadmadalan

So someone is annoyed that what they think is very important news is not the main news item on the BBC website, even though the BBC has reported it.  Why do we expect the BBC to report this as an important news item.  Sadly more people are interested in knowing the Megan closes her own car door than the fact that two environmental protesters got 16 months.  The BBC are not required to educate them.

winston
    Free Member

Actually they are….

BBC Mission Statement

To enrich people’s lives with programmes and services that inform, educate and entertain.

olddog

Looks like excessive sentencing.

In terms of reporting it’s not on the front page or front news page of Guardian, Telegraph, ITV, independent as well as BBC. But is on C4 news with a 3 minute video:

https://www.channel4.com/news/first-anti-fracking-protesters-jailed

I have a feeling when C4 run it will move up thr order on other media sites

bentudder

Interesting. (Disclosure: retired journo here) This was one of the items (with a 20ish second report from memory) on the hourly Radio 4 news yesterday evening as I drove back from work. The BBC News website is not necessarily representative of the whole of the Beeb’s output, just as news programming on the various radio stations and TV channels is unique.

The other thing to note is that most sites are dynamic. Something gets loads of views? move it above the fold. Bit dull? move it down, or add something splashy to give it a lift. This may be why fracking doesn’t feature, but some of the Must See content gets higher prevalence. There’s a difference between In the public interest and Of interest to the public. what we may well be seeing with the Beeb’s news site is an increase in emphasis on the latter. Why is this? Well, that’s a very good question to which I suspect none of us has a comprehensive answer. Someone will try, of course. 😉

Watty

^ very interesting, still nothing on the main BBC news website.

Regarding the sentence, I imagine there’s a clear message being sent, much like the civil unrest of 10-ish years ago; you **** with us and you’re going to regret it.

According to the Guardian article the govt. overturned the local authority decision not to frack. I’d be asking why this is so important to the present administration and where it’s likely to lead.

zippykona

Surely fracking goes against The Will Of The People.

sadmadalan

Surely fracking goes against The Will Of The People.

So nobody in the UK is in support of fracking?  We (the people) complain about high energy prices and yet try to stop a source of cheaper energy. We know that half the stuff being put out by opponents of fracking is a pack of lies, equally we know that half the stuff being put out by the fracking industry is a pack of lies.  We don’t know how fracking will work in the UK, but it’s opponents want to stop all discussion and all trials.

tjagain

sadmadalan – we do know however how fracking has worked in the US and that leads us to be very cautious / paranoid about it

taxi25
    Free Member

sadmadalan – we do know however how fracking has worked in the US and that leads us to be very cautious / paranoid about it

Cautious certainly but not paranoid.  Fracking in the UK will be quite different from the US.

Not a completely impartial source but the information is pretty straight forward.

Fracking at home and abroad: compare and contrast

zippykona

I’m sure our leaders can manage to sell off the fracking rights for a pittance so that foreign energy companies can stI’ll charge us a fortune for our leccy.

PrinceJohn

I wish someone knew what the frack was going on here.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Never mind that, Bez has broken the rules on Bargain Hunt, front page on BBC website now (after Ryder Cup).

winston
    Free Member

This thread isn’t about the pros and cons of fracking but about 2 totally different issues.

Its about a worrying and excessive sentence handed out to three protesters who had broken no other laws and caused no criminal damage and the subsequent lack of coverage by many of our mainstream media outlets including the BBC.

taxi25
    Free Member

Its about a worrying and excessive sentence handed out to three protesters who had broken no other laws and caused no criminal damage

I agree, if camping on top of a lorry was so terrible why didn’t the police remove them immediately ?

richmars

Doesn’t the judge have sentencing guidelines?

So the sentence given would be within these guidelines, and based on what the judge considered to be suitable for the case. Unless anyone here was in the courtroom, or has read the transcripts, how can anyone say if the sentence was fair or not?,

outofbreath
    Free Member

Doesn’t the judge have sentencing guidelines?

So the sentence given would be within these guidelines, and based on what the judge considered to be suitable for the case. Unless anyone here was in the courtroom, or has read the transcripts, how can anyone say if the sentence was fair or not?,

Pretty much this. The judge has explained why he couldn’t give suspended sentences. I’d be amazed if this sentence was incorrect and nobody criticizing it has explained in any detail why it was. The idea of political interference is laughable – I doubt the govt wanted to make martyrs of these people, they’d have preferred not action in the hope it would quietly go way.

The suggestion that this is a cover-up is laughable, it’s all over the media, including the BBC.

why didn’t the police remove them immediately ?

Good question. Anyone know? I’d guess it’s tricky to get someone off a lorry roof without hurting them but was that the reason?

DrJ

Not a completely impartial source but the information is pretty straight forward.

Yeah – cos the energy companies always avoid environmental impact, right?

winston
    Free Member

Firstly, Judges get sentencing wrong all the time. How many threads do we have here on motorists causing totally avoidable death and bodily harm to vunerable road users getting off scot free or with minimal punishment. In this case and in answer to your question on why the punishment was incorrect, I think many people are wondering why around 350 previous instances of similar protest (i.e no violence, malicious damage or incitement to riot etc) have been dealt with by suspended sentence and fines whilst this one has led to 3 people of previous good character going to prison for a substantial length of time. Secondly and leading on from this, as it is a significant departure from the norm and very current as Quadrill are to commence operations there in 2 weeks, you would expect it to make the news wih more impact than it had – i.e only being brought up in a column by environmental campaigner in the Guardian like Caroline Lucas.

Is that clear enough @outofbreath?

zippykona

Is there a petition to get them out?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed, a petition for this is one I’d sign.

irc

Against the will of the people?  Most of whom have gas central heating.  I’m in favour of fracking.  It’s a good idea to have better energy security.

As for this being the first time environmental protesters have been jailed? Not if you count anti nuclear protests as environmental.  Several protestors at Faslane have been jailed over the years.

Dutch peace campaigner faces up to a month in jail following a peaceful protest at the Faslane nuclear submarine base

As for the sentence in the case. High but a jail sentence of some months probably justified. Faslane protests typically blocked the gates for an hour or two. If an hour blockade is worth a month what is a 99 hour blockade worth.  No doubt an appeal court will decide this.

stevextc
    Free Member

think many people are wondering why around 350 previous instances of similar protest (i.e no violence, malicious damage or incitement to riot etc) have been dealt with by suspended sentence and fines whilst this one has led to 3 people of previous good character going to prison for a substantial length of time.

Blocking roads and preventing trucks moving for 90hrs is hardly no damage…

have been dealt with by suspended sentence

I think that is pretty obvious, if you expect any sort of suspended sentence it is pretty mandatory to say you aren’t going to go back out and commit another offence

outofbreath
    Free Member

I think that is pretty obvious, if you expect any sort of suspended sentence it is pretty mandatory to say you aren’t going to go back out and commit another offence

This, the judge said so explicitly.

winston
    Free Member

“Blocking roads and preventing trucks moving for 90hrs is hardly no damage…”

Its not damage, criminal or otherwise. Its economic loss which has a totally different set of sentencing guidelines and criteria for justification of using them.

The best the judge could come up with was 50k loss to Cuidrilla and that the locals had been held up a bit (like that isn’t going to happen when Cuidrilla start fracking for real..but anyways..) – and yes, the protesters have expressed no remorse for their actions – so why not a suspended sentence?  “Do it again and I will have no alternative than to send you to prison” Seems more in keeping with the crime to me and to quite a few others I’ve spoken to in the legal profession too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Fracking protesters jailed but not on the BBC News page!’ is closed to new replies.