Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fox RP3 Creaks
  • rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Hi People,

I ride an old Cove Hustler and it appears the RP3 is making a creaking noise when pressure is applied. I thought it was the linkage but after removing the shock this seems really plush (obviously I can't apply the same amount of pressure to this as the shock is removed). I've also looked for cable rub and the bushings seem tight. Bottom bracket seems ok and I have removed seat post too and applied pressure on top tube. I also fitted new seals and oil yesterday. Still no joy. The shock seems to work fine other than this, am I being picky? I just like to keep noise to a minimum.

I'm contemplating buying a new or used RP3/RP23 but need to iron this out before I pony up the cash. Any other Hustler/RP3/23 owners had this with any inside info or tips? Any thoughts people. Its a real sh*tter!

Thanks

singlespeedstu

I'd try new shock bushes first.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

My Trek was doing this. I removed the upper and lower shock pivot bolts (holding the shock in place).
    Cleaned the bolts, got a cotton bud and cleaned the inner of the bushes and then lubricated both bolts, inside the bushes and slid them back in.

Now runs really smooth apart from an annoying puff of air from the shock!

I bet you find the pivot bolts have grooves in them from where the bush has been rubbing on it.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Cheers Lads, ill give the tips a go tommorow. Dimmadan when you lubed yours, do you mean lube or a teflon type grease?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I used a teflon bearing grease so it stays on the shaft of the where it meets the inners of the bush. GT85 etc is too thin.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Dimmadan – thankyou kindly for your help.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Will do mate. Im just hoping that it will work, a replacement aint cheap!

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I am the same with the brand new blowing I am getting on full stroke of my RP2

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Dimmadan – Nah tried the suggestion. Still sounds like its squeaking. Maybe the linkage, who knows. Sigh…..But for now, **** it im putting up with it till next year. It was worth a punt.

singlespeedstu

Try new shock Bushes.

Is there an echo in here? 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Does the shock need an air can service?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Take the rear swing arm off and check all the bearings. Sometimes just a good clean with GT85 will solve it.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Cheers. Echo recieved. LOL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fox RP3 Creaks’ is closed to new replies.