Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fox 36 Float Service, cost conundrum.
  • edoverheels
    Free Member

I just want to change the oil, seals, wipers and foam things but the kit is £48 and includes oil, Float Fluid and a bladder.
    I thought the simple Floats were ‘open bath’ and so wipers and foam bits were lubed when you jumped about or turned the bike upside down and so what is the Float Fluid for? The oil they specify is 10wt, I have a big bottle of 7 wt in the garage and I thought this was what 36s used.
    Lastly, and I’m sorry, isn’t the bladder for RC2 dampers? I burst one in some 40s I had and thought they were in the RC2 cartridge which standard Floats don’t have
    Can I not get away with a wiper seal kit and use my 7wt oil which saves £30 or will I regret it?

cubemeup
    Free Member

send them to Loco or mojo fella

khani
    Free Member

The float fluid is for the foam rings and to lube the wiper seals when putting em back together
    The kit includes the bladder cos it’s for all models, if yours don’t have one then ignore it,
    Maybe…..

edoverheels
    Free Member

Thanks Khani, you sound as positive about this as me!

khani
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure 😀 ish…
    That’s what I was told when I got a seal kit for an rp23 and it had extra bits in it, ok it was a rear shock and not forks but the principle holds true
    Maybe….. 😆

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

khani is right, the same kit is used for several different forks, just ignore the bits you don’t need.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Float fluid s just used for sealing the air chamber in air sprung forks. I wouldnt use it in foam rings as its too thick and may lead to the foam ring getting twisted.
    You can prob use the 7wt, but it is a little thinner than the 10wt (strange that), so you may need to increase the damping to compensate for that.
    If you’re a heavy rider then the 10wt is prob best, if you’re a whippet you may be ok.

khani
    Free Member

Float fluid s just used for sealing the air chamber in air sprung forks.

I Thort 😆 that it’s for lubing the foam rings, that’s what mojo recommend to use

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you look at the official fox guides they suggest lubing the foam rings with the normal fork damper oil, rather than float fluid.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Float fluid s just used for sealing the air chamber in air sprung forks. I wouldnt use it in foam rings as its too thick and may lead to the foam ring getting twisted.

It never twisted mine… I removed them just the other day after 2 years and regular (ish) oiling with thick Fox fluid stuff.

now with Enduro seals in but with similar foam rings.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I said “may”, not “will” twist the foam rings.

edoverheels
    Free Member

Thanks, I have just gone with the basic wiper seal kit and will use the Fork oil that I have. Probably what was in there anyway, but if not then as you say, I can simply wind up the rebound a bit.
    Only time I have done Fox forks before was a set of 40s and I am sure they said to soak the dust rings with Float fluid but does not seem to make sense.
    Thanks for tips
    Ed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Float Service, cost conundrum.’ is closed to new replies.