Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fox 36 Float Open Bath – No rebound dampening?
  • kevin1911

Evening!

I serviced my Fox 36 Float R’s at the weekend, the open bath version. It now seems that the fork has absolutely no rebound dampening, and the rebound adjuster makes no difference.

I put 155ml of Fox 10wt (green) oil in the damper side and 30 in the air side, with a float fluid sachet in the top air chamber.

When I serviced the forks, the only thing I done to the rebound cartridge was to cycle it a few times to expel the old oil that was inside it. It almost feels like there either isn’t enough oil in the fork, or that the oil just isn’t getting into the rebound cartridge. To rule out the low-oil option I added another 50ml but it’s made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

Kevin

Edit – they’re a 2011 model

lornholio
    Free Member

I had exactly the same issue with my 2011 Float 36 R on its 3rd DIY service last summer.

I cycled the damper when it was separated from the fork which I don’t think I did on previous services, so I think that expelled all oil from inside it then when reassembled I think the oil from the bath just wasn’t getting inside it. If I dropped the air pressure way down to 20psi to make compressing it easy, then holding it compressed for about 10 seconds gave one slow rebound stroke then it was back to quick on the next compressions. Holding for 3-4 seconds gave a few inches of fast rebound then a few inches of slow. So I think the oil was getting forced into the damper under pressure of a sustained compression but not properly all the time.

Nothing worked to fix it, including a few more complete oil changes, 30ml extra oil then another 30ml extra, and I ended up giving up and riding it the rest of the summer as a bouncy spring. Ordered myself a Pike for next summer already (I only ride May-October) and will sell the Float for parts in the spring …unless someone has an actual solution.

If it’s knackered then your best bet is to look out for a cheap 36 with knackered stanchions that you can pinch the damper out of. Or send it to a tuner to have a FIT damper installed for about £200.

kevin1911

Thanks Lornholio. That sounds 100% identical to what I’m seeing.

I had a further think about it last night, and I’m thinking that it can only be the rebound cartridge not filling properly or fully with oil from the bath. Did you ever try taking the rebound cartridge out of the fork and sticking the base in a pool of oil and trying to get it filled with oil by manually depressing and extending the rod a few times? My spider senses tell me that might work – I think I’ll give it a shot when I get some time (probably Friday night) – I’ll let you know if it works or not.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why not ask loco, he should have the answer. Are these ones fitted with a bladder? IIRC there were some bladder issues which aren’t able to be sorted as the supply of bladders ran out.

leebaxter
    Free Member

I have this issue with my floats. i now put around 220ml in the damper which works without affecting the progression, or performance

LoCo
    Free Member

Bleeding as above maybe the issue, full slow rebound and cycled 10 / 20 times, if not working add an extra 30ml of oil to damper chamber and try again if not add a bit more, although check you can get full travel as pressureing them with too much can lead to the wiper seal popping out (messy!)
    If that does work they can be stripped and checked howevr once they stop working they’re generally for the bin and a replacement cart is needed.

kevin1911

I don’t think they have the bladder – unless it’s hidden in the internals of the cartridge. It looks very similar to the rod in the old open bath 32s, only a bit bigger.

Does saying Loco 3 times summon him to the forum like it does with Brant?

Edit – Holy Moly. Even just saying Loco 3 times in my head worked! Magic

LoCo
    Free Member

It’s lunch time (v. nice sausage sandiwich today btw 😀 ) so dot about and look at stuff while stuffing my fat little face 😉

lornholio
    Free Member

Did you ever try taking the rebound cartridge out of the fork and sticking the base in a pool of oil and trying to get it filled with oil by manually depressing and extending the rod a few times?

A friend suggested that, so I’m pretty sure I tried it but no luck. Tried lots of compressions (upright and upside-down) after every attempted fix and nothing worked for mine so I think they’re done.

Leave a reply if you do find anything that works though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Does this issue mean there might be some cheap qr lowers I can fit to my forks?

bigyinn
    Free Member

And so the oppertunist vultures begin circling overhead….. 😆

ScottChegg
    Free Member

36’s have never been QR, so the vultures need to be better informed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then what are those two big levers for on the newer ones where I just have bolts on mine?

kevin1911

Well I went out and had a play this evening (with the forks that is).

Something is definitely not right with the rebound cartridge. I took it out and immersed the bottom of it in a bath of fox 10wt oil and then compressed and extended it 20 or so times. Compressing it required fairly uniform force, but on the extension it required quit a lot of force for the first 75%, but then extends with the absolute minimum of effort. Put it back into the forks and put the oil back in, and now find there is some rebound dampening when the forks are fully compressed until they are about 75% extended, then they just ping straight up. No rebound dampening at all for the first 25% of travel.

Trouble is, I bought them off ebay ust last week (from an STW forum dweller), but I can’t be 100% sure they were broken when they arrived or if it was my service that has put the final nail in the coffin….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s almost full of oil. Keep going I’d say. I don’t think there’s anything magical 25% into the travel to be broken. I just think what you can feel is the piston coming out of the oil.

tmb467
    Free Member

QR levers on the newer forks are to release the pressure on the bolt thru axle to allow it to be unscrewed

Old style was two sets of hex bolts on each leg and an Allen key to unscrew the axle

kevin1911

I was wondering if it was a seal or something that had popped. Could just be air I suppose, but wouldn’t all air be expelled when the rod is fully depressed?

Onzadog
    Free Member

tmb467, thanks for that. But perhaps the site needs a tongue in cheek smilie. Compared to the bolt up version, that is quick release.

kevin1911

Well, I found a solution – or rather the nice bloke at Flotec Suspension did.

Seems it’s a fairly common issue where the tiny (TINY!) little holes at the top and/or bottom of the rebound cart get blocked up with dirt/dust, which stops the oil pressure from equalising, resulting in air trapped at the top.. He took the cart apart and used a single strand of inner gear cable, and some compressed air to clear out the little holes. Took about 5 or 6 minutes. £10 job, and it’s worked a treat. I’m delighted!

lornholio
    Free Member

Well, I found a solution – or rather the nice bloke at Flotec Suspension did.

Thanks for the tip. Ordered my Pikes already to replace mine but I’ll need to give that a shot to get them refurbished for sale.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Float Open Bath – No rebound dampening?’ is closed to new replies.