Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Forming a club (need to knows)
  • oldgit
    Free Member

There’s talk of turning the local road riding group into a club. Which is fine, but I’m concerned that advertising the club and riding in kit and on organised rides will mean we need ‘things’ in place.

At the moment the road group is lost in the current website set up as part of Leighton Buzzards cycling town facilities. Whilst all the other rides are accomadating to complete newcomers including the PC named ‘all the gears’ ride for people wanting to ride road, the faster ‘sportier’ one isn’t. It is this ride group that is growing in numbers and developing at a fair pace.
    There is talk of club kit and BC affiliation. Although I probably have more road riding experience than the whole road group put together, I’ve no idea of how to run one.

Another idea that popped into my head was the resurection of an old club from the area called ‘Bossard Wheelers. I think it existed in the 50s. And I know it did in the early 90s as I raced for them. I have a feeling there are still two old fellas calling themselves ‘Bossard Wheelers’.

So any ideas or even better first hand experience?

DavidB
    Free Member

C1XV is going spare Carl 😉

grum
    Free Member

Bossard Wheelers – they sound proper badass. 8)

plumber
    Free Member

Having witnessed at first hand the bollocks that flies in a certain biking club I was a member of I’d say have a web site that might suggest that parties might be riding at the same time in vaguely the same place and that should do it

Plum

oldgit
    Free Member

We had super cool Flo Green kit back then, we did alright as well.

The name does sound old doesn’t it. I found something on Google that was dating the club back to the thirties.
    Not as girlie as the Bronte Wheelers if they’re still going.

oldgit
    Free Member

C1XV

🙂 That’s a name that brings back fond memories of good times mountainbiking.

@plumber, I know what you mean, and I’ve made it very clear that it should be kept as simple as possible, and only run by riders, no blazers.

fubar
    Free Member

Not as girlie as the Bronte Wheelers if they’re still going.

Oi – we were well ‘ard ! (ex Bronte Wheeler circa 1982)

uplink
    Free Member

You need to make it an autocracy and oust them [if they’ll go] each year for someone else

Organisations run by committees are about as bad as it gets
    😀

gusamc
    Free Member

make sure you’re really up for it and have a few trusty lieutenants as every club I’ve ever seen has been run by a small minority for the majority of hangers on, without the driving ‘hub’ it don’t work

can you affiliate to CTC etc for insurance ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Forming a club (need to knows)’ is closed to new replies.