Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fork and shock service – is it worth it?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Have just restarted using my Superlight again. It’s always been looked after but it is an original one.
    A few things need replacing but everything works, with no squeaks or creaks. The dilemma I have is whether to get the suspension serviced (it’s never been done)? It all seems to work fine, and to be honest I’ve never adjusted it at all in the time I’ve owned it. It’s a SID on the front and a Fox air can on the back.
    Considering the service cost – another thought was possibly replacing the fork to something a bit more modern – but has suspension come on that much to warrant a change?

tinsy
    Free Member

Do an air can service yourself, might be worth enquiring about a fork service, leave them too long and it can get expensive a simple oil change & new seals shouldnt break the bank. .

bigyinn
    Free Member

Might be worth sending the rear shock off to Loco if its never been done. There are some non user servicable bits in there which can make a difference.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d just DIY as much as you can and leave the stuff that’s not possible

z1ppy

servicing is a lot cheaper than replacing… dependant on the age of the kit. Are we talking new SID’s or old SID’s… I’d run old SID’s till their dead and spend the servcing costs on a new set. As for the shock, assuming it’s fox, IIRC all models can be tuned to suit. So it’s worthwhile either doing at least a home service, if the damping is working fine, or sending it to a professional.

dickydownes
    Free Member

They’re original SID’s – the first ones.

james
    Free Member

Just home service the air can and fork lowers, ie just the slidey bits. Some oil/grease, and maybe a strap wrench you might need on top of normal tools. Damping/air stuff maybe leave until you get a problem?

tinsy
    Free Member

Them old SIDS 28mm ones I believe, have a rep for being a bit noodley, unless your a proper weight weenie, there are some inexpensive, but good forks about that would improve the ride for a marginal weight increase.

However they have a value for resale, ideal fork for nippers and lighter riders, so dont just give them away.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Noodley? What would you suggest as a good replacement? I’d only be looking for 100mm travel.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Shocks and forks have improved markedly since about 2004/5 IMO. You should change them out for some secondhand, but modern units. They will be much better.

You’ll probably get reasonable cash for your old gear if you market to the retro-geeks too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fork and shock service – is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.