• This topic has 96 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Foot sprain – A&E or MTFU?
  • Flaperon

Stumbled over a rough bit of pavement yesterday and twisted my foot a little. Didn’t hurt at the time and was more relieved that I didn’t come tumbling to the ground than anything else. Could walk on it with no pain or issues.

About three hours later the whole foot became excruciatingly painful and couldn’t bear weight, and I started running a fever. Paracetamol controlled the pain and the fever and I was able to limp to the hotel about an hour later.

It’s now the next day and it’s somewhat swollen and painful but will bear weight. Slight evidence of bruising on the top. Walking is OK, flexing toes upward really hurts.

I’ve always subscribed to the “if you think it’s broken it’s probably not” view of medicine but there seems to be a lot of stuff on Google about serious complications from foot sprains that are untreated. In terms of basic treatment it’s had none of RICE because I’m in a poxy hotel in Sweden and they don’t have an ice machine.

Drac

Are you likely to die?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you have proper travel insurance? The hotel manual should have a medical number

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

poxy hotel in Sweden

Run the taps long enough and the water will surely run cold.

Treat it, and rest it. They can hurt a while.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have no idea whether you should go to A&E or not, but you would be better with ibuprofen than paracetamol as it will bring the swelling down.

gobuchul
    Free Member

MTFU

Drac

I have no idea whether you should go to A&E or not, but you would be better with ibuprofen than paracetamol as it will bring the swelling down.

It’s a sprain, he did it yesterday, he’s mobile does that sound like it needs an A&E? Paracetamol is anti inflammatory and a pain killer, Ibuprofen can hinder tendon and bone healing.

Flaperon

I’m back in the UK in four hours so it’ll be a local hospital. No, I’m not going to die but last time I checked A&E is not just for the dying… It’s more the fact that flexing my toes is incredibly painful because I want to know why.

@gofasterstripes First thing I tried, still comes out lukewarm. 🙁

Drac

No, I’m not going to die but last time I checked A&E is not just for the dying…

It’s not for 24 old Injuires that aren’t causing you issues other than a bit discomfort.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Good luck flappy, I turned one of mine over so hard I have never been able to spread my toes since!

toby1

This isn’t a churlish question for the sake of it, just I’m not familiar with the answer; Do most hospitals have a minor injuries unit, or are they found at GP surgeries?

Drac

They can be attached to a hospital or separate altogether I’m not aware of any being linked to GPs.

allthepies
    Free Member

No wonder A&E is screwed.

Drac

Yup.

gobuchul
    Free Member

For future reference, just checked to find a local minor injuries unit.

It actually called an “Urgent Care Service”.

That’s very confusing! Urgent care sounds like A&E to me.

Flaperon

Drac, there isn’t a mino injuries clinic anywhere near me…

njee20
    Free Member

They really should rename A&E.

He’s had an Accident. That’s the A part. Yet every time on these threads Drac you get all indignant and say “unless you’re going to die in 20 minutes then it’s not appropriate”.

I don’t wholly disagree, but why don’t we rename them Emergency Rooms (for example), they’re clearly not where you go when you’ve had an Accident, unless that Accident is also an Emergency, in which case the Accident part is redundant.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Flaperon – Where are you? What do you consider near?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No wonder A&E is screwed.

My local A&E isn’t screwed.

scotroutes

Drac – Moderator
    They can be attached to a hospital or separate altogether I’m not aware of any being linked to GPs.

Ours is but I think it’s unique.

perchypanther
    Free Member

OP – You want to get yourself seen by an ENT consultant.

Maybe you have balance issues?

Isn’t this like the second time that you’ve fallen over in the street and injured yourself in a few months.

I CBA searching for the previous thread but seem to remember you were legging it from Romainan gangsters outside Tesco or summink?

johndoh
    Free Member

Paracetamol is anti inflammatory and a pain killer, Ibuprofen can hinder tendon and bone healing.

Interesting you should say that because I recently had De Quervain Syndrome and the doctor recommended I took maximum allowed dosage of ibuprofen (four standard tablets, four times a day – ie, 16 each day – IIRC) and it worked.

Paracetamol isn’t a particularly good ant-inflammatory drug.

Whereas ibuprofen is.

Edit: However it seems you shouldn’t take ibuprofen for the first 48 hours for reasons Drac mentioned above.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sounds worse than my silly accident from last night, I managed to semi-sprain my ankle while leaving the table to re-fill my glass of Pepsi Max, part way through a meal at the local Harvester pub!

By the time I can ride my bike again, I will have forgotten the concept of riding, at this rate! 😆

notmyrealname
    Free Member

They really should rename A&E.

I don’t know about anywhere else in the country but in London they’re trying to rename them as Emergency Departments rather than A&E. Not sure how much of a difference it’ll make though. The thing we have in London is that there’s walk-in centres and minor injury units and loads of people don’t realise that they’re basically the same thing.

Drac

I don’t know about anywhere else in the country but in London they’re trying to rename them as Emergency Departments rather than A&E.

Pretty much country wide to try and get the message over to people.

Ours is but I think it’s unique.

There probably is the odd I’d have thought.

My local A&E isn’t screwed.

Sounds like it’s unique.

Paracetamol isn’t a particularly good ant-inflammatory drug.

Whereas ibuprofen is.

Edit: However it seems you shouldn’t take ibuprofen for the first 48 hours for reasons Drac mentioned above.

It’s almost if I do it for a living.

rOcKeTdOg

ED is what most people write on specimen forms in my hospital.
    Going after 24hrs + on a foot you can walk on & from your description is better than it was is a bit cheeky imo. But you obviously have every right to go to your local Emergency Dept at the moment. Give it 5 years of ever increasing pressures, costs & cuts & it might be a different story. Get your pennies worth while you can & sod the actual emergency patients

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s almost if I do it for a living.

It is almost. Shame you claimed paracetamol is an anti-inflammatory though…

Drac

It is almost. Shame you claimed paracetamol is an anti-inflammatory though…

It is but not great as your frantic googling has shown.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Quick question – I twisted / sprain my ankle on a ride last night. Rested overnight and this morning it is only a little swollen but hurts to walk on.

I will be resting it today but should I strap it up to support it when I walk?

With one fused ankle and one sprained ankle, walking is becoming a challenge. How do you limp on both legs? 🙁

perchypanther
    Free Member

How do you limp on both legs?

One crutch at a time?

johndoh
    Free Member

It is but not great as your frantic googling has shown.

I Googled to confirm my understanding of one of the key differences between the two drugs based on my experience of being prescribed ibuprofen for a similar kind of injury. Nothing wrong in doing that.

In fact I was at the doctors with one of my daughters last week and the doctor wasn’t sure what the correct dosage of a particular drug was so she checked online. I’d rather a professional did that rather than rely on what they think they know.

rOcKeTdOg

In fact I was at the doctors with one of my daughters last week and the doctor wasn’t sure what the correct dosage of a particular drug was so she checked online. I’d rather a professional did that rather than rely on what they think they know.

Did they ask in the bike or chat forum?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

“My local A&E isn’t screwed”

Sounds like it’s unique.

I doubt it. My local A&E at Croydon University Hospital is functioning surprisingly well, but so is the next nearest A&E at St George’s Hospital. I also know that the third nearest A&E at the East Surrey Hospital is also functioning and up to the job – they saved my sister’s life just over a year ago.

The system doesn’t not appeared to be screwed, f*ck*d, or broken. Despite the enormous strains put on it and the constant criticism from some quarters.

Drac

Was it Wikipedia?

rOcKeTdOg

The system doesn’t not appeared to be screwed,

Depends on who you ask
    A) someone who benefits from it not appearing to be screwed with access to spin/media
    B) someone who works within the system

johndoh
    Free Member

Was it Wikipedia?

What do you think? Being a professional and all that.

Drac

What do you think? Being a professional and all that.

I’d use a BNF, NICE or my pocket book.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My 2 cents.

Go to AE, you may have seriously damaged ligaments even broken a bone. Do you think a professional sportsmen would take ibuprofen and mtfu ? I say AE as your GP will be worthless, my mother was just asked to wait 12 days for a follow up appointment after an emergency hospital admission

Drac

Go to AE, you may have seriously damaged ligaments even broken a bone. Do you think a professional sportsmen would take ibuprofen and mtfu ? I say AE as your GP will be worthless

What’s the emergency?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Foot sprain – A&E or MTFU?’ is closed to new replies.