Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)
  • Food from the 70s
  • BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’d like to point out that Vesta curries, Birds Semolina, Dream Topping, Custard and Angel Delight are indeed still manufactured. I’m responsible for the machinery. Add to that the unfathomable amount of Bigga and mushy dried peas. Who still buys those?? Apparently, we used to make Beans in Wine in a can in the 70s too. I seem to remember Boots had some strange foods in their shops.
    Bit 80s, but what happened to Ritz cheese sandwiches? God I loved those.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We used to have Apeel orange juice with Sunday lunch – I’d love to try it again now my tastebuds have grown up. We used to see it as a real treat

funkmasterp

I really want a crispy pancake now. I remember when we first acquired a Brevel sandwich toaster. Felt like kings eating nothing but toasties for a week.

I actually have a small scar near my lip where no facial hair grows. This was caused by a baked bean toastie. I never knew beans could reach such temperatures and the pain when the little **** welded itself to my face was immense.

Good times!

DavidB
    Free Member

Pomainge (is that how you spell it?). This may have been niche to our house but cods roe out the tin fried washed down with Nesqick powdered milkshake mix.

ransos
    Free Member

Why was food in the 1970s so uniformly terrible?

It wasn’t. Beef Wellington, upside down cake, goulash, coq au vin, Black Forest gateau…

The problem was the terrible processed food referenced in this thread.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Those Top Deck cans bring back memories – proper soldered seam down one side – if someone could crush one of those in one hand it was an impressive effort. None of your extruded aluminium crap.

dudeofdoom

Hmmm spacedust 🙂

The thing I remember Most is the chip pan on everyone’s cooker.

Granny DOD used to use blocks of lard from the butchers and I think was still doing till departure at 90 something.

vickypea
    Free Member

“Tip Top” tinned cream. The advert had the tin saying to the woman “you’re looking slim, mum!”

My mum used to make what she called “meat in the oven” which consisted of a casserole dish full of watery gravy with lumps of meat, potatoes and carrots floating in it.

sadexpunk

has anyone done proper trifle yet? custard, jelly and cream, with soggy sponge bits and hundreds and thousands on the top?

and for drinkees what about cream soda? was it made by cresta or was that another drink? polar bear with sunglasses? (too lazy to google it).

vickypea
    Free Member

We had trifle made of sliced Swiss roll, tinned loganberries and dream topping on top!

redmex
    Free Member

And after eating all these ’70s delights,
    How about Izal medicated tracing paper slidey toilet roll to wipe you arse

Mikkel
    Free Member

I quite fancy that banana ham and hollandaise

andylaightscat
    Free Member

or to just spread it around

Cougar

Pomainge

Pomagne I think. As a kid I was fascinated with the two-part plastic ‘corks’ for some reason, I always asked my parents for them to play / fiddle with.

The thing I remember Most is the chip pan on everyone’s cooker.

Remember it? I used mine yesterday.

and for drinkees what about cream soda? was it made by cresta or was that another drink? polar bear with sunglasses? (too lazy to google it).

Barr’s I think. But it was probably made by various companies.

When you said cream soda I immediately thought of “American cream soda” which was a pink powder you ate with a liquorice stick, 2oz of the stuff in a little paper bag off the market.

How about Izal medicated tracing paper slidey toilet roll to wipe you arse

Not so much ‘absorb’ as ‘redistribute.’ I always figured it must just be cheap, but it was more expensive than the fluffy stuff.

sadexpunk

you iz indeed correct, but it was corona i was thinking of. the pop man in a van where you got money back on the bottles.
    corona

pop man

maccruiskeen

about cream soda? was it made by cresta or was that another drink? polar bear with sunglasses? (too lazy to google it).

Alpine also made it back in the days when fizzy drinks were delivered to your door by hairy shouldered guys in vests and a 7.5 on truck. One of the things that defined you locality was what colour your local Creme Soda was. The stuff Alpine delivered (in St Helens) was bright apple green.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cresta

It’s frothy, man!

tjagain

angel delight no longer has sugar in it. We always used to take it bikepack and backpacking for pud – but with no sugar in it it seems rather a waste of time!

Anyone remember kellogs rise and shine powdered orange juice – again another old camping staple that no longer exists

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I quite fancy that banana ham and hollandaise

^ Mods! Cleanup on aisle 6.

Admitting it is the first step to recovery tho

Cougar

it was corona i was thinking of.

CORONA! Gods, yes, that’s what I was thinking of also.

meeeee
    Free Member

Why did they do pop deliveries? I remember we used to get them, but not sure why. Was it because it only came in the heavy glass bottles, so saved you having to lug them home? I mean it’s not like pop was a daily essential which needed delivery like milk.

We used to have a ringtons tea delivery guy as well, always flogging some crappy patterned plates or tea caddy as an ‘extra’ with the delivery.

BoardinBob

Chunky Chicken

It was chicken in a white sauce that came in a tin. A staple of the late 70s and early 80s in my house

Rona

This was caused by a baked bean toastie.

I feel your pain – always too hot to eat straight away – always too impatient, and hungry, to wait.

has anyone done proper trifle yet?

Still love proper trifle – my Mum still makes me one at Christmas time – although these days it’s made with much nicer custard, and raspberries on top. Not fussed about the spongy layer – but the combination of custard, cream and fruit … 😃

Anyone remember kellogs rise and shine powdered orange juice

Yes! I have some vague memory of once eating this straight from the packet with a licked finger. Not recommended TBH – and didn’t have quite the same effect as Space Dust!

meeeee
    Free Member

I remember there used to be loads of crazy ice lollies at the ice cream van as well, Dracula, fried eggs, funny feet, and some ice cream ones with a picture printed on it, haunted house I think.

Much more choice than today, and they had jokes on the sticks. Why did they stop doing that?!

mogrim

Why did they do pop deliveries? I remember we used to get them, but not sure why. Was it because it only came in the heavy glass bottles, so saved you having to lug them home? I mean it’s not like pop was a daily essential which needed delivery like milk.

Didn’t the glass bottles have a deposit on them? Pretty sure I remember taking bottles back to the local corner shop to get 5p (?) back.

maccruiskeen

I remember there used to be loads of crazy ice lollies at the ice cream van as well,

My local ice cream van did beer flavoured gummy sweets shaped like a pint glass

it only came in the heavy glass bottles, so saved you having to lug them home?

Don’t forget there was a much lower car ownership – especially very few two-car households- and shopping was usually done by a stay-at-home mum. So yes – carrying  big glass bottles of liquid home wasn’t ideal and aside from pop it probably explains why powdered foods like smash, angel delight etc and even powdered drinks such as Rise and Shine or Lift Lemon Tea were more popular then too.

modchop
    Free Member

Has to be a Swisskit for me, I was addicted to the damned things!

”I’ll risk it for a Swisskit”

derek_starship
    Free Member

On the subject of ice creams, remember Screwballs? A plastic cone filled with strawberry ice cream with a bubblegum at the bottom that had a half life of about 12 seconds. Good while it lasted though.

sparkyrhino

Ice cream too , seem to remember a lolly called a ‘Dalek’ fluro green mint and chock icecream EXTERMINATE!

kayak23

Remember covering most of my dinners with “Aromat” to make the boiled to death dinner bearable – just googled and its still available 😳

Oh yes. I have a pack in the cupboard. I used to get dry bread and sprinkle that on and eat it. Strange child.

Responsible for my propensity to add salt to….anything I can 😐

funkmasterp

One of my school friends worked on the Pop van, Ben Shaws pop. We all hated him as it paid better than the milk round and was on an evening.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Check out all the posh ice lollies!

As a povvy scheme wean I had to make do with a frozen Kwenchy Kup.
    Four hours hard digging with a teaspoon to get to the juicy bit at the bottom.

Bunnyhop

My Grandpa used to make us ‘Symington’s table creams’. They were a posh type of blancmange to which one added milk. The colours weren’t gaudy or bright, but delicate and made with proper ingredients.

I did a bit of research and it seems Waitrose still stock them.

Although I loved Angel delight but in my 20s and 30s.

crazy-legs

I love cream soda – there was always a bottle of it at my grandparents house, he had a very sweet tooth.
    Ben Shaw’s brand now. My local chippy sells all their cans. 🙂

maccruiskeen

On the subject of ice creams, remember Screwballs? A plastic cone filled with strawberry ice cream with a bubblegum at the bottom that had a half life of about 12 seconds.

Our the sequel – the’ Two Ball Screwball’. Which had one bubblegum at the bottom and extra one nearly at the bottom. Livin’ the dream!

redmex
    Free Member

How about a bubbly or a dainty from Stenhousemuir, the dainty chew would extract any tooth filling no problem no matter how well it was installed

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Blackjacks were pretty good at removing fillings/teeth etc. Nothing more charming than an inky black tongue and a gappy grin

cb200
    Free Member

The fizzy drink lorry thing seems to have been regional – no Corona round our parts, only Maine (bottles not actual size)

perchypanther
    Free Member

The fizzy drink lorry thing seems to have been regional – no Corona round our parts, only Maine

We had two. Alpine and Bon Accord.

Both purveyors of Pineappleade.

Rona

I remember there used to be loads of crazy ice lollies at the ice cream van as well, Dracula, fried eggs, funny feet, and some ice cream ones with a picture printed on it, haunted house I think.

Much more choice than today, and they had jokes on the sticks. Why did they stop doing that?!

Yes – much better selection of interesting lollies back then. My all-time favourite was a Strawberry Split – was also keen on Funny Feet, Haunted House, Twister, Zoom – always hard to choose.

I liked the lolly stick jokes – helped to soothe the disappointment of reaching the end of the lolly!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 176 total)

The topic ‘Food from the 70s’ is closed to new replies.