• This topic has 82 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Foo Fighters, Overrated?
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I admit to being a Foo Fighters fan, always liked some of their early stuff, but the last album had maybe 2 decent songs. I have watched the Sonic Highways stuff which was very good, but the latest song left me a bit, meh. Must admit I don’t hold much hope for the new album.
    Watching them on BBC this morning, the band just seem so, well, overrated….

GrahamS

Nah you’re just getting old (as are they).

Don’t worry, you’re in good company here, come in and have a nice Horlicks. Emmerdale will be on in a bit.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’m not a FF fan really. I like some of their tracks and that’s about it.
    I saw them at Reading fest ’13 and they were amazing. One of the best bands I saw. Perfect performance in my book. I watched it back on TV and thought it looked average. You had to be there.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Dad Rock !!

Admit it…. and then you can enjoy ACDC to your heart’s content.

Just like me

zippykona

A very “white” band in that their songs have no soul or feeling.
    So yes.

jimjam
    Free Member

Yes. End thread.

moshimonster
    Free Member

Never been a big fan of them to be honest.

Lifer
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

A very “white” band in that their songs have no soul or feeling.
    So yes.

Hmmmmm, I think ‘My Hero’ has feeling. The exception that proves the rule perhaps.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Im a big fan. 1st band I ever saw live, seen them about 5/6 times.

I don’t think they’ve ever made a truly amazing ‘five-star’ album. But live, with the best songs off each album strung together, I think they give quite a formidable live show.

DG is a great frontman. Definitely can take a crowd along with him, even in a big arena.

Pigface
    Free Member

Some great songs but he seems too comfortable these days to do anything edgy. He does seem to be a really nice bloke.

Northwind

I don’t think they’re overrated- I thought everyone knew they’re competent middle-of-the-road dadrockers with a really good frontman? Just that people differ on how good that is. I like ’em but I must admit I went off them a bit after Dave discovered all he had to do to get the biggest cheer in the world is drink some beer. Also, 20 minute long versions of Stacked Actors didn’t help.

ChrisL

There’s nothing wrong with them but a lot of the time it feels like there’s nothing there to grab you either. I got their last album, I remember feeling that there was something interesting going on in the first track (maybe the intro) and then the next thing that made me pay attention was in the second last or last track. I can’t really remember anything in-between, except that some songs involved Dave Grohl yelling a woman’s name a lot, which seems to be a staple of all Foo Fighters albums.

DezB
    Free Member

They’re massive for a very good reason: they are ordinary.

(Monkey Wrench is a great tune though)

scruff
    Free Member

Bullshine, they are ace. Dad rock yes but still ace. I hated them at the start as I was a grunger and thought they were defacing the legend of Kurt. I grew up and soon thought they are the best big alt-rock band still going from back then, Chillis have kinda lost it for me. (As have Metallica cuz they shoot bears in the face)

hatter

(Monkey Wrench is a great tune though)

+1

The rest I can take or leave.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ha, yup, dad rock. I think the last great song was Low. But glad it’s not just me that think they are average.

kayak23

They are the very epitome of formulaic.

I think their current one shows a lot of promise in the intro, it kind of draws you in with an unusual chord-progression, but then…. oh yeah, here it is, the shouty shouty bit… and back to the predictable. 🙄

codybrennan
    Free Member

I like “Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace”.

Its good.

EddieFiola
    Free Member

I had my dinner with him once, a very long time ago.
    I told him then, i didnt really like his songs but my mate does. Would you sign this for him.
    He laughed a lot and thought it was really funny. ( i dont know why, it wasnt a joke, i really dont like his songs) Nice guy though.

GrahamS

They did do easily the best Ice Bucket Challenge though – so props for that 😀

wors

STW is no place to ask opinion on any popular music. 😆

stanfree
    Free Member

I thought they were great live but like most big rock bands have turned a bit bland over the years maybe not as bad as Green day though. I doubt anyone could dislike Dave Grohl as he seems like a decent guy though. For really overrated though see Pink Floyd and Led Zep…

stevomcd
    Free Member

Their best is probably a good way behind them – let’s face it, “Foo Fighters” came out just short of 20 years ago!

Some really good tunes though, Colour and the Shape was the best album for me. This is an awesome tune. Turn it up to 11 and go break yourself on something (snowboard park for me):

EddieFiola
    Free Member

STW is no place to ask opinion on any popular music

You mean Dad Rock?

wors

You mean Dad Rock?

No, music that more than 1 person listens too. 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say over-rated, more shit! 😆

DezB
    Free Member

STW is no place to ask opinion on any popular music

It’s the perfect place. What the hell else could I post opinions on? (Apart from unpopular music)

Lifer
    Free Member

My biggest problem with the Foos is that it means Grohl isn’t drumming for QOTSA.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I saw them live on the first UK tour way back in probably late 1995. had great fun but never bought any of their albums since. They don’t really have the ‘edge’ for me.
    IMHO RATM, Audioslave, Soundgarden and FNM, seem to have it. I saw Soundgarden and Faith No More at Hyde Park in July. I was blown away by Faith No More. A religious experience. Mike Patton is still as cool as ever.

DezB
    Free Member

Their best is probably a good way behind them – let’s face it, “Foo Fighters” “Nevermind” came out just short of over 20 years ago!
    😉

ourmaninthenorth

They have plenty of good songs, but none that are great.

Last time I said this on here, the MOR fans got their knickers in a twist. Now it seems others are happy to agree.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

One of my favorite bands, so much so I did something I’d never done before in my life on Monday morning. I got to HMV for it opening at 9am, was the first person in and left with a copy of Sonic Highways and a big grin on my face.

Listened to it almost non stop since Monday morning and although some of the songs don’t have that massive impact as Something for Nothing does, its a great, great album.

Whats a massive relief is that its a better album that the last one which had a couple of good songs on. Although there are only 8 songs on the new album, each one is infinitely better than everything bar The Pretender off the last album.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Overrated? By who’s standard? If you don’t like them fair enough, I hate a lot of music.

But they pass almost any ‘test’ you want to throw at them – popular? They sell huge amounts of albums in an era when lots of bands can’t.

They sell out huge shows, when lots of bands can’t.

They’re credible, they weren’t thrown together by some music biz exec – build from the ground up, like a proper band, went throw a lot of teething problems, people joined, people left, people got sacked and at no point ever did Dave Grohl ever stand up and shout “I’m the drummer from Nirvana – listen to my new stuff!!”

Award winning? They’ve won awards from everyone from the Grammys to Kerrang! to the NME to Brits to MTV, to the Q Awards to the Teen Choice awards – that’s a huge spectrum of awards that at least one is credible to anyone.

Is it Dad rock? Probably now, wasn’t when they started but they’ve grown old gracefully – they’re not stood there botoxed, with their hair dyed still singing songs about teenage angst – I can’t stand that.

ads678

I like them. they might not be as good as they were but no band that has been going that long is. IMO of course.

Edit: I agree with P-JAy.

Lifer
    Free Member

Calm down dear, music can’t be ‘tested’. It’s completely subjective.

Lifer
    Free Member

ads678 – Member

I like them. they might not be as good as they were but no band that has been going that long is. IMO of course.

Ahem

stevomcd
    Free Member

They do deserve a lot of credit for this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzBcomkq9No

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Still think this is their best video

😀

isto
    Free Member

I’ve never been a huge fan myself apart from the first album and a couple of songs here and there. My wife however loves them and loves Dave more specifically……so needless to say I have seen them live fairly recently.

It is formulaic “dad rock” and does lean dangerously towards the middle of the road. But they really do put on a good show live and they do really seem like genuinely good blokes. The Sound City film also renewed my respect.

zippykona

If we’re honest Nirvana weren’t a lot of cop either.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Foo Fighters, Overrated?’ is closed to new replies.