Home Forums Chat Forum FODMAP – Source of truth?

• This topic has 30 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by rone.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • FODMAP – Source of truth?
  • dmorts

Started reading about FODMAP, then read other articles on FODMAP. The contradictions are many, especially in articles suggesting recipes.

Is there a source of truth to be relied upon?

doris5000
    Free Member

ChatGPT!  It will tell you that stawberries strawberies strarwbreries are definitely high or low in essential  FODMAPs

Overall, there are many opinions about this exciting and complex area of foodstuffs.

johnhe

I had never heard of FODMAP until I paid for a series of sessions with a dietician to try to find out why I regularly but periodically was  feeling really nauseous and ill. I can’t advise you about the most reliable source, but I can tell you that I’m a big believer. Avoiding too much of a high FODMAP food, or even several small portions of high FODMAP foods has made a quite starting impact on my health.

my Dietician provided the handouts which explained which foods were high FODMAP, and what some alternatives might be. That was good, because I found it all hideously complex at the time. I find it more simple now that I’ve identified the trigger foods which really set me off.

and I can attest that I find strawberries difficult in any kind of decent quantity.

davidr

The Monash University research is pretty much the standard source. Assuming you’re looking at it from an IBS perspective then the IBS Network is the UK support charity so has a good set of resources that is backed by clinical folk (disclaimer: I’m a trustee).

BlobOnAStick

OMG. Never heard of it until opening this thread. Googled FODMAP and just read the bit about non-coeliac gluten sensitivity and it’s the first time I’ve read something that explains the why, for the last 22 years, I’ve felt so much better eating a non-gluten diet (but not being coeliac).

konagirl
    Free Member

What davidr said  https://www.monashfodmap.com/

Everyone is different. And it may not be something you need to banish forever, it may be you need to allow your gut flora to manage, so it is worth a good read. Good luck.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Hadn’t heard of it until now.

Only came to the thread because I thought it was a variation on BODMAS

Kuco

I suffer with IBS and found cutting all FODMAP foods out for 6 weeks as advised by the hospital which means a very boring bland diet for a while then slowly reintroduce food to see what does and doesn’t work for you as everyone is different.
    Worse thing for me is garlic, it literally cripples me especially fresh.

As Davidr said Monash University is pretty much the go to.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I followed it and it did nothing for my IBS, Nerva on the other hand completely fixed it and changed my life for about £50. Best money I’ve ever spent!

IBS is very subjective it seems so FODMAP is worth a try as it works for some people

nicko74

Monash University. They also have a really detailed app (paid for, but seemingly worth it) that breaks out foodstuffs: not just “tomatoes”, but “beef tomatoes”, “salad tomatoes” and “cherry tomatoes”.

And not just red/ yellow/ green as a scale, but if you eat one handful you’ll be orange on these things, if you eat one spoon you’ll be green for most things etc.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Just asked my dietitian wife (actual dietitian, not a nutritionist) and she says yes its a thing, and they’re taking it seriously.

argee

Bah, came here to see some OS maps around Coleford or Cin City

lambchop
    Free Member

Beef, eggs and salt. Extremely nutrient dense. Try it for 6 weeks and see how good you feel.

J-R

If you are interested in the science about this you may like to listen to a gastroenterologist explain what Fodmaps are, who should be concerned and what you can do to deal with problems.

CountZero

And there was me thinking it was a map showing all the secret trails in the Forest of Dean! Is disappoint.

DrP

I often give out a sheet with some foods to avoid .

Google “Stanford fodmap PDF”.. it’s pretty good.

I believe it makes a difference.. personally I’m SOOOOO farty with onion and garlic..

Plus, I’m a “non coeliac gluten type person”… Bread just makes me feel a bit meh!

DrP

kormoran
    Free Member

lambchop

Beef, eggs and salt. Extremely nutrient dense. Try it for 6 weeks and see how good you feel

Username checks out

toby1

Onion and garlic are poison.

Beans, blow me the hell up.

Stone fruits, evil little raisins, apples.

Lactose seems to be a horror show too.

All things I seem to react poorly to, all fodmap high foods. All things I miss eating endlessly. I hate the state of my frankly useless gut bacteria.

peanutcracknell
    Free Member

I live in the FoD, and don’t often need a map but I would find a proper off piste trail map that is updated by assigned ‘officials’ to show whats closed for felling, what’s running well etc incredibly useful…. I am disappointed by this thread, but enlightened at the same time.

nicko74

Beef, eggs and salt. Extremely nutrient dense. Try it for 6 weeks and see how good you feel.

I’m guessing most of those 6 weeks are spent on the toilet?

richardkennerley

I’m currently on this “journey.” Had IBS symptoms for a long time, I know onions/garlic are particularly bad. It’s not just that it causes bloating or cramps, but a bad IBS attack can leave me feeling completely wiped out, lethargic, moody until it wears off.

3 weeks into an exclusion diet now and I’ve found all the conflicting fodmap advice. One website recommended avocado’s, the next says no no no!!

Mostly been eating porridge, chicken, rice and sweet potato.

I want to reintroduce bread, see if that’s a wrong un.

I know sugar is bad, can’t really tolerate biscuits and cakes etc. knocking sugar on the head has meant I’ve rapidly lost a few kg.

ahsat

My Mum and I both follow it. Both lactose intollerant, and both suffer IBS. Our triggers are both a bit different and the good thing with the Monash app if it can help you work it out – for example my Mum really struggle with fructose. I’m not as sensitive but the Fructan high foods seem to be my issue. We both use the app as a guide. The other useful thing is it gives an idea on portion size, for example 1-2 button mushrooms fine (chopped up in a sauce), 16 of them (ie mushrooms on toast) not good.

ahsat

I’ve found all the conflicting fodmap advice. One website recommended avocado’s, the next says no no no!!

It comes down to which sugars they focus on. If you look at the breakdown with Monash and you are sensitive to sorbitol, then it’s probably a no, but for me it tends to be ok if I eat it 1-2 a week (no more). Once you’ve worked out your sensitivity you can adjust the app to make the traffic lights tailored to you/the sugars that don’t work for you.

lambchop
    Free Member

Not at all. Without any fibre or plant matter the gut soon settles into a once a day rope lay. Very little burping or farting either.

Kuco

richardkennerley I found bread a tricky one. I avoid all cheap supermarket bread though Tesco finest white slice that’s made with some sourdough okay as long as I don’t over do it. Sourdough is meant to be more tolerant but I find it hit and miss as some is like eating thick dry cardboard.  Also take into consideration things such as pizza bases, wraps and naan breads. I’ve been caught out before on pizza bases upsetting my gut.

For me I find Crosta & Mollica wraps okay as they only have four basic ingredients in them. Also I’m okay with their Panini though they can be a bit dry.

ultrasound
    Free Member

Having suffered with IBS type symptoms and diagnosed such by a gastroenterologist I had spent the last 20 years or so getting on with it. The diarrhoea, bloating etc. I just thought that was my lot in life. I read a little bit about FODMAP a few years ago and saw some culprit foods that I really enjoyed.

I at loads of broccoli and cashews as part of what I thought was a healthy varies diet.

Since stopping eating those my guts have been transformed, instantly the diarrhoea, bloating and cramps stopped.

dmorts

@Kuco have you considered a bread maker? Homemade bread from a few ingredients is definitely different to supermarket bread.

Anything made by Panasonic will be good.

Kuco

I have thought several times of getting a bread maker but I’ll doubt I would use much once the novelty wore off.

johnhe

As I said above, I was losing the will to live – IBS was making me so miserable, so often. It’s hard to put into words unless you’ve suffered yourself. The FODMAP journey (guided by my dietician) led me to avoid lactose, gluten, onions and garlic. I can have small amounts of most of them, but any large amount and I start become deeply uncomfortable almost immediately.

i just wanted to say that sourdough is much easier on folks like us than normal bread. Interestingly, I spend a lot of time in France with my work, and the bread in France is also less irritating. I believe it’s for the same reasons that sourdough is more palatable. Too much sourdough or French bread still irritates me, but I can tolerate it in greater quantities than normal, uk bread. It’s such a shame, because I really love my bread. And pizza. And pasta. But the absence of totally debilitating stomach cramps makes up for avoiding them imo.

dmorts

OP here, been following a low FODMAP diet since last week now. I was pretty sure I was lactose intolerant but now I think it’s more than that.

There’s definitely been a change in how I feel. I’ve effectively stopped eating refined carbs which is probably no bad thing in itself. I wonder if it is related to sugar for me, lactose being just one of those that are problematic.

I feel calmer overall too, it’s actually a bit strange

rone

I’ve had hell on earth with all of this.

Tried the gadget that tested for you too.

All failed.

Basically no sugar and fasting every few days keeps everything in check.

Still eating – meat, eggs, bread, veg. Coffee okay.

Bread on the panny machine.

Don’t have or only in tiny quantities – milk and anything with sugar in.

Don’t have booze now.

Have small amounts of butter, cheese but don’t overload.

Keeping a tight lid on that recipe I’ve keeping by digestives problems roughly in tact.

Otherwise it’s an inflamed stomach and out of control toilet habits. It all ended up destroying my energy levels and attitude too during the summer – on holiday when you let your guard down.

It’s weird but everyone I know seems to have some sort of intolerance or allergy or just things they don’t have now.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.