Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Floorers Some advice please Tongue tite screws
  • elma
    Free Member

Any body ever used tongue tite screws?

Just i’m laying some long lengths of hardwood flooring and the way they have been stored for the past few years has left them with a slight warp.

So the warp is’nt gonna be taken out by nailing and just wondered if the screws will pull the boards that little bit closer.

Iain

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Cue the diminutive Irishman…..*

JCL
    Free Member

How warped? A cleat/stapler nail gun is your best chance for closing warped boards. Hire one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

By “warped” do you mean curved across the width of the board?

If so, no, tongue tites won’t flatten them out. Sorry, but they’re knackered.

elma
    Free Member

When i say warped they only deflect about 10 mm over 3.7 m so its just to get a tigher joint i was just also wondering what peoples experience is with these screws. Do you benefit from piloting them or just go straight through on 45 degree angle.
    Iain

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah right, I thought you had meant they had “dished”. If the board is bowed, then tongue-tites might work. If the boards are solid, then it might help to drill a 2mm pilot. If you hammer a chisel in at an angle under the tongue, use this to lever the board closed, then screw in your tongue tite.

Long term, you might end up with a gappy floor, but it’s worth a try anyway. What’s your subfloor?

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I’m no pro but when I laid my new floorboards over a year ago I used Floorboard clamps which helped get a really good fit. Very pleased with the results and they were quick and easy to use too. I hired mine from HSS.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Floorers Some advice please Tongue tite screws’ is closed to new replies.