Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 345 total)
  • Flooding
  • Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

That looks grim, stay safe people. Do not underestimate the power of floodwater!

RustyNissanPrairie

The Mrs has just reminded me – the Waterside was where we went for our first date (20ish years ago).

Bridge St in Ramsbottom still closed off an hour ago.

saxabar
    Free Member

North Wales/Snowdonia getting battered too. Been up since 4 dealing with water from the Ogwen river. Even talk of the nearby bridge collapsing through built up water pressure. Distressing day, but thankfully no water in the house. Some good people around though who helped out with buckets and time. Lots of voyeurs too 😕

Hopefully we’ve seen the worst of it.

Heart goes out to all affected.

project
    Free Member

anglesey appears to be cut off, a55 and a 5 blocked also the road from lanwrst blocked and coast railway below level of the flooding so probably no north wales trains tommorrow.

binners

Rusty – according to the police, the bridge has been inspected by structural engineers this afternoon, and it’s still closed because with the water still coming down, they’re not expecting it to there by the morning. With the bridge at Summerseat already gone, and smaller footbridges gone, looks like it’s about to get interesting trying to get around.

Hey ho though. At least there’s been no fatalities. Which given the force of the water that’s ripped down the valley, is incredible

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Terrible news 🙁

simmy
    Free Member

I was in Preston earlier, sat on the service area car park next to river ribble and was amazed at the speed of the water. Debris like full trees, tyres etc were being carried downstream and I’m sure the white object I couldn’t quite make out was a drowned sheep 🙁

Went to the other side of Preston and could walk along the side of the ribble, lean over a small wall and touch the water 😯 and its raining again here.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Rusty/binners, which bridge are you referring to? Hopefully not the one over the Ogwen in Bethesda that takes you to Tregarth?

Edit: sorry got the wrong end of the stick there…reading the thread to quickly. ..

grum
    Free Member

Bridge goes bye bye near asda

Posted by Iron Art Fabrications on Saturday, December 26, 2015

robdob
    Free Member

Sowerby bridge level, same in most other places in Calderdale.

Top black line is previous max level ever recorded.

saxabar
    Free Member

@dalesjo, the Ogwen bridge is closed. Water came through parts it shouldn’t of.

robdob
    Free Member

I wish the press would stop showing people wading through flood water. Spectacularly manky stuff, just a few inches travelling fast can knock you over too, and never to be seen again. I’m sure they can find other thins to use as perspective.

GregMay
    Free Member

Photos from wandering around Hebden today, including Brant checking his back passage:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskrz9bka

[[url=https://flic.kr/p/BZgVWK]IMGP0802[/url] by Greg.May, on Flickr

Kuco

robdob It’s not very bright is it especially when it normally blows drain and manhole covers and washes all sort of crap into it’s path that can not be seen. And as you say it doesn’t need the water to be deep to knock you of your feet.

CountZero

Jeez, the conditions up North are staggering, just unbelievable amounts of water falling. Down here in the South-west it seems like it’s been wet continually, but the reality is that is just been damp; I was walking over to Silbury Hill this afternoon alongside the Winterbourne, a chalk stream that, as its name implies, is dry in the summer and born again in the winter, but it’s as dry as a bone right now, only one small puddle under a footbridge, which just shows the stark contrast between the South-west and North-west.
    I’ve given a donation to the Daily Mail flood appeal, a small thing, but it’s all I can really do.
    I hope the million or so pounds so far raised quickly gets to those poor souls who are really suffering; it would be nice if the government were to take some of the extravagant amounts in the foreign aid budget and put it in with the flood fund.
    Just thought, a close friend of mine will be traveling up to Coniston from Bath, via Bristol, Manchester and Windermere by train tomorrow; anyone got any idea how rail travel is affected from Manchester? I believe she gets a taxi from Windermere to Coniston.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Erm, shipping containers in the local river today 😯

Baildon almost shut off tonight…

[video]http://youtu.be/t6v30Oi2IOY[/video]

toppers3933
    Free Member

Rain in the lakes today has been pretty bad. Seems like others have had it worse though. Given how it was today I can’t only imagine what it was like a few weeks ago. Never seen so many massive pumps and sandbags.

RustyNissanPrairie

Not so bad for us as we’re up in Edenfield but gutted about the industrial heritage being destroyed with some of the bridges and buildings being lost – they’ll never be replaced like for like.

Just hope people are keeping safe.

project
    Free Member

Just thought, a close friend of mine will be traveling up to Coniston from Bath, via Bristol, Manchester and Windermere by train tomorrow; anyone got any idea how rail travel is affected from Manchester? I believe she gets a taxi from Windermere to Coniston

major closure between crewe and stafford trains diverted while they rebuild the track also some early morning trains want run as proving trains have to go out in daylight to check track at low speeds,also sunday service so even less trains will run

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I might be being daft, but where can you see predicted river details for 6am tomorrow morning? Mrs FD needs to get from Baildon to work in Wakefield and that could prove very difficult at the moment.

Ta

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

There’s a video of a transit drifting down the canal at Elland earlier today doing the rounds. We moved into new house 2 weeks ago… Never been flooded. Got away with it this aft… Water was a foot off the top of the flood banks at Copley, after which we’d have been swimming in the kitchen.

Simon

Scary stuff, glad you’re OK.

molgrips
    Free Member

Unclear if my folks will be able to drive back from Cardiff to Ludlow, will be watching the road updates tomorrow.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It’s been insane here today. Going to go for a wander in a min to check up on how things are although there’s bugger all we can do about it. Will break out the board and wetsuit tomorrow and see if I can on the news

gallowayboy

At times like these the value of our communities wins out. My 85 yo mum spent the morning in her upstairs neighbours flat, her landlord and some other folk helped to sift through her flat to get some dry personal belongings, medications etc., the Search and Rescue Team (my team until I stood down this year) evacuated her to her landlords car, they took her to their house, looked after her – and washed her clean of manky floodwater – until i got back up from London. No end of offers of help from friends and acquaintances, and even people we don’t know. We do likewise for others, mutual support builds communities. I hope everyone else who’s affected has a similar experience: we’re so grateful to everyone who has offered even just sympathy.

bomberman
    Free Member

I’ve never know Sowerby Bridge to flood, went to a mate’s house last night and woke up to find the bridge closed with no way through to Triangle. Went through all possible route variations but they all involved crossing a river, eventually got my mate to take me up over the tops and drop me down into Ripponden minus the bike as it wouldn’t fit in the car. I can’t even begin to imagine how the people in flooded houses feel!

My LBS is Blazing Saddles in Hebden, they’ll be under water. My print guy lives next to the canal in S.B. It’s Gutting 🙁

billysugger
    Free Member

Worked on the industrial/housing project at Copley for 4 months this year. It was a crazy idea to bring thousands of tonnes of 6f2 onto what was previously a contaminated flood plain to raise the whole area and pass the problem further on down the Calder Valley.

Made some developers a fortune and got some councillors some nice kickbacks. Nobody will ever be held to account. All they’ll have to say is there was a shortage of housing in the area. We put a small concession in by building a few settlement/catchment ponds to re home some frogs and direct groundwater off parts of the site, down to the river. Pay lip service to environmental factors and you’ll get permission granted if there’s enough money involved in the project.

porlus
    Free Member

Parts of our village north east of York (strensall) has flooded. Looking on the news Calderdale looks horrendous. Hope everyone is doing ok. Know a nice b&b on the canal side in Hebden bridge that will be totally thrashed by now.

somafunk

objections to building on copley valley floodplain

I guess they’ll be a few local councillors not looking forward to meeting with local residents after this weekend

billysugger
    Free Member

Those same councillors who are asking on Twitter at the moment for people to give generously to the flood appeal.

Shame they won’t be asking GenR8.

I’m working on a similarly crazy project to build the Leeds-Bradford cycle superhighway with £29m European funding. Our stretch runs down Barkerend Road where things like this are a regular occurrence http://youtu.be/yIqZJQ_IHow I must see 6/7 cyclists a week, it could be a case of build it and they will come but you couldn’t pay enough for me to ride a bike around there.

The people making these decisions need a good shake.

binners

Who would have ever guessed that a developer called GenR8 would be a bit dodgy?!

somafunk

A quick Google shows many local objections to the development at Copley, including this local blog highlighting issues, including £6m of public money paid to GenR8 to cover site clearance, decontamination works, site investigation works and highway/junction improvement works that have been undertaken on site.

So?, new local councillors elections in the coming future perhaps?

thepodge
    Free Member

Just heard my grandads house is flooded, he lives just off Halifax road, can’t get hold of my dad but he’s usually fine, thinking of leaving the family at the inlaws and trying to head over to Tod to help out but not convinced I’ll get there.

binners

Hope everyone is ok Podge. Water levels have dropped overnight but it’s still a mess. There have been lot of damage to the roads, so I think you’d struggle. I definitely wouldn’t attempt it with the family in the car

Apparently everyone is using the WAZE app for the most up to date info on which roads are open. Good luck!

nickc

How’s things this morning over at Hebden, I’ve got to get back home today up to Helptonstall

Hope everyone’s managed to keep dry and warm!

GregMay
    Free Member

Roads are open in Hebden. Heading down to the town to give a hand clean up now. Will be over near Drink? then Blazing after.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not too bad, bit tricky using t’interwebs though.

nickc

Cool, I’ll get back and come and help with the clear up

GregMay
    Free Member

allthepies -Not too bad, bit tricky using t’interwebs though.

Funny.

How about you go say that to the people who now have no homes or businesses.

nickc – Member
    Cool, I’ll get back and come and help with the clear up

It’s looking like power should be going back on for 12 – food and clothes drop is up by the big Boots near Market Square – pretty sure anything would be appreciated.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks for the concern. My grandad is up at my mum’s and my uncle has checked in on the house so I know they are all fine. My dad never answers the phone so I’m less worried that I’ve not got hold of him, he’s probably chasing ducks round the cellar.

I’ve downloaded waze, Thanks for the heads up on that. I’ve got all this week off so once I’m happy getting into the town I think I’ll stay and help with everyone else

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Flooding’ is closed to new replies.