Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 345 total)
  • Flooding
  • martinhutch

Levels are ramping up badly in our neck in the woods (Aire/Wharfe catchments). Not seen the becks so big in Skipton for a while. Records being broken in Otley/Bingley by the looks of it.

Hope you guys in the Calder/Ribble catchment are doing OK.

globalti
    Free Member

Just north of Blackburn here and the brook that runs under our house it at the top of its culvert walls at 10.30 with at least a couple more hours of rain to come, potentially the heaviest as well. The sound of boulders tumbling down the stream bed is very un-nerving; I hate it.

Just been out in the car and Whalley is badly flooded with Fire, Council and Police all over the place with a big concentration at the foot of Whalley Nab; I bet water is pouring down off the Nab into the village.

The Ribble is 4cms below its all-time record. Today will be a new record.

philxx1975
    Free Member

What has actually caused this flooding, it was relatively rare ?? no?

Even in cities the drains are often bubbling up throught the manhole covers, a few years ago sheffield at Attercliffe was under feet when the don floooded

Surely there’s a solution other than our NOBle Prime Minister offering his hand of support and a few quid to those affected ,the people in these areas must be living a bleeding nightmare evertime heavy rain is on its way.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Really feeling for everyone up there it just seems never-ending with the same places being flooded over and over 🙁

aP
    Free Member

Have you not read a newspaper since 1990?

globalti
    Free Member

The Ribble is now at 5.43m, beating its record of 5.34m.

oldnpastit

It would be fun to blame global warming, but I wonder if it’s more prosaic: lots more houses and roads, which don’t absorb rainfall in the same way that trees and fields do.

brocks
    Free Member

As first post walked round local woods this morning, have not seen it this bad since last flood in 82 the lower town centre was flooded. Bit ironic when the environment agency are a third of the way through building some flood defence water retention areas on the two becks that flow into town. Some lower town shops are under water already. Not good but nowhere near as tragic as in Cumbria they are again bearing the worst of it.

midlifecrashes

It’s a fair question, even if the answer is obvious when you look at the rain record. I’m in Doncaster, only 45 miles south of some of the worst affected areas, but crucially east of the Pennines. We’ve had nothing of note this winter at all, just a few squalls when the worst of the winds rolled through, and I think it’s a similar story most places to the east and south of say Leeds. Aside from the high levels on the Trent and through York, you wouldn’t guess what the other side of the country is getting.

gallowayboy

Calder worse than 2012. My 85 yr old Mums flat in hebden didn’t flood then, now it’s knee deep and she’s evacuated

globalti
    Free Member

It’s all down to the jetstream, innit. This Autumn it has wavered between northern and southern Europe for reasons of its own, meaning that the British Isles have been swept by an unending sequence of warm fronts, many of them passing in such a way that they run longitudinally along the country for periods of many hours rather than racing across briefly then giving us the typical post-front colder, drier, squally weather.

Right now at 11.15 the Met Office shows us as being under a patch of heavy rain, which should clear North by 13.00 but return more briefly this evening.

GregMay
    Free Member

We’re back underwater in Hebden. It’s higher than 2012 floods.

Tod and Mytholm. are effected too.

binners

It’s pretty bad round us in Rammy. We’ve got a river running past the house off the Moors. Looks like the banks of the Irwell went this morning. Stubbins is underwater. A lot of roads closed. The Waterside pub in Summerseat, further down the river, has completely collapsed! 😯 it’s foundations washed away. No let up forecast.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

If we get a big tide we could be ****, winds blowing onshore too.Think the pinch points on the crake are wet already. Hohum.

Klunk
    Free Member

really feel for those affected, pretty normal here the ditch at the end of the garden has hardly any water in it and river level (Nene) are quite low for the time of year.

Drac

Seeing some awful footage around the West on social media from friends. Stay safe anyone effected and thoughts with you.

Relatively rae? No it’s not at all it has maybe been worse of late with some bug floods but there’s been some pretty bugs ones over many a decade. Media pushes it big time as well as easier for people to report and take footage so we get a more realistic view of them and their effects.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sky news just mentioned – Todmorden is also affected…

GregMay
    Free Member

Water is now .10m below the high level mark of floods for Hebden in 2012.

Don’t expect any of the trails to be the same this week. Last time was a total reshape of things.

GregMay
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Sky news just mentioned – Todmorden is also affected…

They flooded the park around 9am today. Roads in and out are closed too. Main street flooded as well.

langylad
    Free Member

We are in Clitheroe here and it hasn’t stopped raining for about 2 months now. Supposed to be going down to Ribchester today to my parents but the village is cut off with the army, police and environment agency there. There and Whalley they are evacuating some residents to higher ground. Both villages have always been prone to flooding but the frequency is becoming greater.

Jerome
    Free Member

I am staying with my in laws at the top of the nab in whalley, so nowhere near the flooding.
    But I can see the Calder has burst its banks.
    Crazy levels of rain, and still coming down here..

Jerome
    Free Member

My plan to ride Gisburn tomorrow looks a bit silly.
    Hopefully after today if stops raining !!

GregMay
    Free Member

Long range meteo is another storm on the back of this one :/

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Just seen on sky news ilkley is cut off. All roads in/out shut.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

They’ve now shut the M62 due to flood damage!.

NewRetroTom

Supposed to be heading to Clitheroe (well Grindleton) this afternoon…. Wondering if it will be more sensible to stay in snowy Penicuik?

project
    Free Member

A55 closed between bangor and conway and diversions also floded, heavy floodig om M62, serious damage to roadway 19 to 20 junctions,seriousflooding in mcr and liverpool and a pub has been washed away at Summerseat.

langylad
    Free Member

Jerome, I think you should be safe up there :D.
    If you can’t make Gisburn, just try riding up the Nab.

Retro Tom, might be worth checking if you can actually get into Grindleton, all the bridges were flooded 3 weeks ago (about a mile and a half from me and it is my ‘from the door’ ride up onto the fell)

Drac

It’s worse than. Binners has lost a pub.

langylad
    Free Member

Ribchester Arms under water,just been on the BBC, I had my 21st and wedding evening do there.

langylad
    Free Member

Drac, would it be a flat roofed pub 😀

martinhutch

Just seen on sky news ilkley is cut off. All roads in/out shut.

Even the one over the moor? That’s fairly apocalyptic!

slowoldman

We are in Clitheroe here and it hasn’t stopped raining for about 2 months now

Although undoubtedly “management” is part of the issue, we have to admit that this a pretty exceptional series of rainfall events. Two or three huge storms piled on top of a high level of “background” rainfall. I doubt we could commit to an engineering solution to this level of rainfall.

Drac

I couldn’t see any blue fairy fairy lights so not sure langylad.

globalti
    Free Member

The collapsed pub is the old mill canteen that’s built over the Irwell in Summerseat. It’s been a string of pubs and restaurants for years, all of which have failed and it’s been disused for a long time. I’m sure it will now be demolished. The cellars were made from timber and suspended underneath so they were always the first bit to flood.

I drank quite a lot of beer there in the early 90s in my blissful batchelor days living in the Brick Houses.

robdob
    Free Member

I was in the flood incident room yesterday and last night and the predicted rainfall/water levels were just insane – I finished at 6am this morning and am going back in for 10pm tonight. We were hoping the predictions were going to be wrong as it looked so bad but I’ve just woken up and seen the pictures, blood drained out of me instantly.

Please stay safe everyone, don’t go near the flooding, don’t even go and spectate, stay away for the moment.

Once it’s gone, come back and spend all your money, the communities are going to need it.

robdob
    Free Member

Slowoldman – that’s a perfect description. It’s been the perfect storm (no pun intended). Wave after wave of heavy rain, no chance for levels to receed and the land to dry out.

Have a look at GaugeMap online to see how crazy the levels have been.

midlifecrashes

Tod Hare&Hounds on Sky News now. Awful.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/phVnU5fBAdk[/video]

Jerome
    Free Member

Just walked down the hill to the bridge in whalley.
    Crazy levels of water and still rising.
    Not much going on, as I think everyone was evacuated hours and hours ago.
    Came across a dead sheep on the way 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Flooding’ is closed to new replies.