Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 345 total)
  • Flooding
  • binners

Every road in and out of Rammy is now closed. The main bridge in is now closed too, even to pedestrians. The height of the Irwell is bonkers. This is the water running down our road..

[video]http://youtu.be/4Ke7EYPs6GY[/video]

This is where it’s ending up, in the Irwell…,

[video]http://youtu.be/nfnKnY1GwsE[/video]

The rain briefly stopped while we were out. It’s now bucketing down again! 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

Went out this morning in biblical rain storms up on the moors north of Harroagte. Torrential rain and broken rivers and the reservoirs are busting. Turned back on a couple of the lanes up near Pateley Bridge/Wath so headed up over the moors to Kirkby Malz, still pissing down but now I’m back at the farm the clouds breaking… A bit..

1-shed
    Free Member

Just watched the video of Hebden Bridge and has brought a tear to my eye. As a family we visit quite often and love the town. We will be back and support the local businesses. Hope it stops soon.

slowoldman

Have a look at GaugeMap online to see how crazy the levels have been.

That’s an eye-opener.

piemonster

Once it’s gone, come back and spend all your money, the communities are going to need it.

Planning on it already!

Stay safe folks.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

They are saying that every river in Lancashire has broken previous height levels…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I should be on nights tonight, however I can’t get onto Anglesey. A55 is submerged after J15 -11. Bonkers weather. 😯

langylad
    Free Member

They are saying that every river in Lancashire has broken previous height level

That is quite something considering the levels they have already been at this year. Was just about to take the hounds for their daily stroll down to the Ribble, don’t think i will bother.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Hebden

binners

That’s heartbreaking seeing Hebden like that.

Just hope lives haven’t been lost. When you see the raging torrents the rivers have become

Jerome
    Free Member

Still raining hard in whalley.
    Imaging it may be coming over the bridge on the Calder now.
    Will pop down later as not much else to do…

mattyfez

Calder has burst the banks at brighouse, not as bad as Hebden but a fair few cars /homes business flooded.

hora
    Free Member

I was in Hebden Xmas eve. Bought pork belly and venison sausages from the butchers.

As soon as its up and running again I will be there.

If only the Tories cared.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Bloody nora, that’s sad to see Hebden like that.

It looks bloody deep against the shops down the main street like that. As others have said I’ll be making some trips to spend some dosh that way.

somafunk

Much as i love to bash the Tories at every valid opportunity i fail to see how you lay the blame on them for this trifecta of misery.

As i see it (i may be totally wrong)

We are entering an El-Nino weather cycle that historically has played silly buggers with the jet stream in the southern hemisphere – this moves warm weather patterns northwards into Europe which leads to increased rainfall and strong winds.

We have had pretty much constant rain for the previous 6 weeks

Saturated ground can only accomodate so much water before it creates the perfect environment for flooding, even minimal rainfall that in previous years has not posed a problem becomes exacerbated when it falls on a rising water table.

Nothing short of designating vast swathes of the countryside to be set aside as flood plains with heavily engineered run off channels to deal with this problem could make a difference, if the government and thus farmers (they’d need massive compensation) who are willing to allow their land to become incorporated into such areas allow this then the problems may be localised into certain areas, until such a plan is built this will happen again…and again.

djglover
    Free Member

We cannot get out of Ilkley at the moment, even the high level routes have flooded with water in dips

thepodge
    Free Member

Any pointers getting into Tod from the burnley side that I’d need to know about?

Planning to visit my dad, he says it’s fine but he sounded hammered and we have different levels as to what’s fine as I’ll be driving the family in and it’s a 2 hours drive from where we are now

GregMay
    Free Member

Water has stopped in Hebden, starting to drop a bit. But more rain due.

Suggested headline: F**ked

bigjim

I don’t think this is really the tories fault, though when it stops they or more likely the snp will claim they stopped the floods

Here’s an interesting pic of the atmospheric river that is bringing all the rain and storms

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=954633534617629&substory_index=0&id=208916149189375

binners

Podge – I wouldn’t even attempt that journey at the moment! Your odds of making it all the way through are slim to non-exist any. There are roads closed left, right and centre, and no reliable information as to which.

There’s a lot more rain forecast

The fire brigade are appealing for people not to travel unless absolutely essential, as pulling peoples stranded cars out of flooded roads is diverting resources away from genuinely essential emergencies.

Please stay at home!

trout
    Free Member

our carpet warehouse is under 2 feet of water in Crosshills along with a few other businesses and a mates house has been flooded also .
    The canal was overflowing in lots of places but quite impressive between Kildwick and Silsden

wetist ride I have done for ages strangly the flood water felt warm when the bastid coming the other way just kept his speed up as I was axle deep in a flood between gargrave and skipton was a bit amusing as I could not get any wetter before

Saccades
    Free Member

Jeez – was supposed to be coming over from Ireland tomorrow…

Not too sure if I’ll bother – A5/A55 flooded, can I even get off anglesey? (fast ferry is not running either).

Then more trouble on the m60/m62.

GregMay
    Free Member

Not too sure if I’ll bother – A5/A55 flooded, can I even get off anglesey? (fast ferry is not running either).

We’re supposed to be going to Ireland on the 28th. I’m not holding my breath that it’ll happen.

Saccades
    Free Member

Gregmay ex-worc?

We’re wet but not too bad over here tbf, rivers high but not near flooding.

curses.

binners

The bridge on the main road into Rammy is still completely closed. They’re worried it might be about to collapse. There’s footage online of shipping containers being carried down the Irwell, hitting the bridges. Ones been taken out in Radcliffe, and a gas main with it. Looks quite dramatic, to say the least! 😯

EEK!!!

I wonder which wellies Dave will wear when he comes to see us all? 2 trips North in a year Eh? 😀

project
    Free Member

Saccades – Member

big hole apeared in M62 as well road closed

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/live-heavy-rain-brings-flooding-10652352

GregMay
    Free Member

Gregmay ex-worc?

We’re wet but not too bad over here tbf, rivers high but not near flooding.

curses.

There can be only one 😉

So yeah. That’s me.

Saccades
    Free Member

bugger.

Appears there are diversions… What do we reckon, an extra 3 hours?

Mate has a 4×4 with a snorkle, I’m tempted to give him a ring.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks for the info binners, I’m going to reassess in the morning, being a local I know routes over the top to avoid the valley bottom but as you say, no point in causing people more issues when they are already busy so we might postpone.

grum
    Free Member

Big landslide on the top road between Burnley and Blackshaw Head. Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the other top roads are dodgy too.

thepodge
    Free Member

Nobs to that then, I’m not avoiding floods just to tangle with landslides.

RustySpanner

Rawtenstall very bad this afternoon, brother in law filling sandbags as we speak, culvert coming off the moors has burst at the top of his garden.

Walk Mill and Cliviger dodgy too, Red Lees Roaad closed.

I’m 46, not seen it this bad before.
    How many times for Tod and Hebden now?
    It’s heartbreaking.
    Stay safe everyone.

irc

One view back in 2008 was that we were entering a period of higher flood risks as part of a long term natural cycle, not global warming.

He looked at seasonal rainfall and river flow patterns dating back to 1853 which suggest fluctuations between very wet and very dry periods, each lasting for a few years at a time, but also very long periods of a few decades that can be particularly wet or particularly dry.

In terms of river flooding, the period since the early 1960s and until the late 1990s appears to be relatively flood free, especially when compared with some periods in the late 19th century and early 20th Century. As a result of analysing rainfall and river flow patterns, Prof. Lane believes that the UK is entering a flood rich period that we haven’t seen for a number of decades.

More than three-quarters of our flood records start in the flood-poor period that begins in the 1960s. This matters because we set our flood protection in terms of return periods – the average number of years between floods of a given size. We have probably under-estimated the frequency of flooding

https://www.dur.ac.uk/geography/news/allgeognews/?itemno=6479

nick1962
    Free Member

Any pointers getting into Tod from the burnley side that I’d need to know about?

I agree with binners(for once!),don’t attempt it.The main Burnley Rd is closed, flooded and impassable in at least 3 places in Tod and Halifax Rd and Rochdale Rd likewise. There are some ways to avoid parts of these roads but you inevitably will get stuck at some point.Tod was cut off from all directions a couple of hours ago.

thepodge
    Free Member

Thanks nick, all the info is about roads, any idea if trains are making it through? Thinking we could meet in Manchester or something as he’s desperate to see his grandson.

GregMay
    Free Member

Trains are off in the Valley at the moment. Line is a canal between Walsden and Littleborough.

They were off today anyway, but I wouldn’t expect them to be on tomrrow either.

GregMay
    Free Member

Longcauseway landslip:

nick1962
    Free Member

Trains have been off before with far,far less rain.Not seen or heard any trains today but that maybe because it’s Boxing Day.Check the train websites for tomorrow.

thepodge
    Free Member

Cheers guys, still going to reassess tomorrow morning but thinking we’ll stay up here a while longer. Just sucks that grandad and great grandad won’t get to see the little lad

johnx2
    Free Member

Yorkshire’s no longer cut off from ilkley, fwiw. Queues getting round abandoned cars on the moor road mind you.

Went for a bit of a biblical xbike ride earlier. Thigh deep crossing the main bridge. Had to concentrate when I hit the current.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Flooding’ is closed to new replies.