Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 345 total)
  • Flooding
  • gwaelod
    Free Member

oldschool – Member
    This has been up the road from me.
    big copter

Is that bringing the EA chairman back from Barbados?

😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Actually they do use floating cushions

I’ll happily take you up Scout Moor where you can show me it in action

or the new windfarm above Whitworth

or take me through the Scout Moor expansion plans or any of the other 10+ windfarms I can see locally and you can show me this utopian care for the landscape

I’ll show you badly eroding peat, new water channels, and private water supplies which are now undrinkable and the Irwell and Roch catchments

kimbers

Shirley farming/grazing and grouse moors etc is a much bigger contributor to soil errosion

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    langylad
    Free Member

Any centre or right wing news delivery will have made sure public sympathy for the dedication and bravery of the fire service is kept to the absolute minimum.

Not an argument for this thread

kimbers

Dunno does seem odd that there’s been so little mention of fire service

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Is that bringing the EA chairman back from Barbados?

Nah. Just their personal chef and masseuse.

langylad
    Free Member

Start another thread, there is a valid point to be had. Just not here

athgray
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member
    I’ll happily take you up Scout Moor where you can show me it in action

or the new windfarm above Whitworth

or take me through the Scout Moor expansion plans or any of the other 10+ windfarms I can see locally and you can show me this utopian care for the landscape

I’ll show you badly eroding peat, new water channels, and private water supplies which are now undrinkable and the Irwell and Roch catchments

I never said it was utopian care for the landscape.What I have seen happen makes financial sense. Sounds like you have a poor contractor there. I don’t know what has caused the problems locally, however I steered away from commenting on drinking water, which is a local issue and not related to flooding.

Sticking to flooding, I live in the Borders in a town succeptible to flooding, and downstream of wind farms. Anyone living in Scotland’s central belt, will live downstream of 000’s of wind turbines. I think there are now 1000 turbines in the Borders, which is effectively the catchment of the river Tweed.

I have been involved in windfarm projects across the UK, and no-one has to live with them anywhere to the extent of those across Scotlands central belt and Southern uplands.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

What I have seen happen makes financial sense. Sounds like you have a poor contractor there.

must be the way the English developers build them, or the difference in landscape and geography, or that SNH etc impose conditions that aren’t required in the post industrial wastelands of the north of England, or the schemes south of the border are done by muppets spending too much on the civils

I don’t know what has caused the problems locally, however I steered away from commenting on drinking water

that’s strange when the change in the way that water leaves the moor directly impacts the quality, ergo it demonstrates a material impact on the hydrology

and it’s Scottish company screwing it up in Whitworth, families over a year without potable water with the council/ developer/ contractor all in it together to fob them off and take advantage. The water now flashes of the hill rather than taking the time it used to but obviously no impact on flows into the Roch

athgray
    Free Member

What do the EPA have to say?

gwaelod
    Free Member

I’d avoid Kirroughtree and Mabie today….Dumfries & Galloway looks doomed

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M[/video]

billysugger
    Free Member

I commute over the bridge that robdob posted a video to. Mate of mine filmed this one http://youtu.be/E-iu5wy33nQ

Bridge looks like this now http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/calderdale/elland-bridge-will-be-closed-for-the-forseeable-future-1-7646383

scaled
    Free Member

Frank has arrived with his precipitation in South Manchester, lots of water coming in at about 30 degrees oof vertical

binners

It’s absolutely hauling it down up here in’t’ills again now. Looks like its in for the day. Oh joy!!

And heres a pretty accurate picture in todays Guardian of what we think of Dave’s brief appearance in his ****ing wellies….

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

@billy thanks for video post. The bridge is being featured on French TV reports

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, I’m sat here watching the waters rise.

I’m not used to the river being almost up to the garden! It’s pretty loud and interspersed with the cracking of trees now and again. I’ve seen a lot of timber going downstream this am.

On the banks of the Dee, Aberdeenhire.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gies a shout if it keeps coming and you need a hand to move owt metalheart.

Looks pretty bad alround here

was out this morning dragging trees back to the ranch to clear the road for the neighbours. will get them chopped later.

ballater, aboyne , and peter/maryculter all in pretty bad shape.

metalheart
    Free Member

Cheers TR.

I was speaking to the ghillie (and the laird) apparently I should be alright. Got a bit of elevation but the fishing hut the elevated to miss the floods is now under water. Just looked out the window and here’s a chuffing tree stump in the middle of what was the park… Must admit I’m feeling nervous though, seen how much the rivers risen in the last couple of hours!

I saw Ballater was flooded….

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Might be time to buy an Isuzu firetruck….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3_IZWhX0g[/video]

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, the water has risen more, another couple of feet and I’ll be trouble! It’s only feet away from the neighbours door. I’m a little higher.

Word is the level is dropping up river, fingers crossed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fairly certain the higher levels we are seeing downstream are the tide coming in ….. Think high tide was about 4:45

Its odd , locally we are fine . None of the usual suspects are floodding , the culter or the gormack etc . Its just the dee thats giving it large.

Helicopters out at the caravan site at maryculter rescuing folk. And the miltimber bridge is shut.

metalheart
    Free Member

Oh, it’s definitely the Dee! Part of the A93 between Ballater and Braemar has washed away apparently.

I took a look outside and the water levels seem to have stabilised but difficult to tell now it’s dark. Haven’t heard any trees being ripped apart for a while neither. Speculation is this is higher than in living memory (apparently some 1930’s level in Kinker has been exceeded…) Crathes of Milton is half under water (met the chef going home about 2.00). The laird and the factor have both been round twice.

Moved everything of value up off the floor just in case.

Must’ve been some deluge in the hills!

grey

Flooding in Peebles and Innerleithen is cut off.

somafunk

Earlston Dam, nr Dalry-Galloway with floodgates fully open

Usually there’s no water at all coming down the dam

Free Member

I take it dams must be over flowing every where.

grum
    Free Member

The road between Ballater and Braemar apparently (from Scotland From The Roadside) group on FB

bruneep

Oops 3 sfrs personnel had to be rescued when they were trapped by rising water.

crazy-legs

Interesting read from everyone’s favourite flood commentator:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/29/deluge-farmers-flood-grouse-moor-drain-land

That Braemar road ^^ runs right alongside the River Dee, it’s the old military road (now A93). That’s one hell of a diversion for anyone wanting to get between those villages, means a trek all the way round via Blairgowrie

DrJ

Well, it’s raining here in London. Expecting Cameron in Hunter wellies to show up any moment commiserating with those of us with damp garden furniture.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Does this mean Liz will have to go to Balmoral via helicopter as Phil will never get the Range Rover up Deeside?

piemonster

I’m sure a fair few are already aware, but windy wilsons Facebook page is a good place to see footage from across Scotland.

ninfan
    Free Member

Crazy legs, someone who knows far more than me about it said that the jury is still very much out on the hydrology aspects, and whether flooding is as affected by moorland drains as thought.

Pointed me to this:

http://luk.staff.ugm.ac.id/rawa/DavidGilvearPeatlandHydrology.ppt

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im not clicking it again, but

Monbiots a **** and thats shit lazy speculative journalism- the key phrAse is right in the middle

To paraphrase

“I have no idea if this is actually the cause but it sells good sensAtionalist copy”

sparkyrhino

Been working to restore comms services in Leeds center today,what i found worse than the damage/devestation, was a facilaties manager I was speaking too, told me of 2 fake fire engines in the city with blues on,touting to pump out shops and basements for cash in hand,charging per gallon.he even managed to get pictures of the blokes and engines,which he swiftley reported to the authorities,who were aware of them

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

😯

That’s shocking

scotroutes

Male strippers doing a wee bit on the side?

Mat

That Braemar road ^^ runs right alongside the River Dee, it’s the old military road (now A93). That’s one hell of a diversion for anyone wanting to get between those villages, means a trek all the way round via Blairgowrie

Nah if it’s the bit I think it is you can take south deeside to Balmoral then cross the bridge in Crathie, or take the road up to Corgarf then cut back to Ballater. Not good all the same!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I drove from Fort Augustus via Spean Bridge to Aviemore this morning. The dam at the end of Loch Laggan was overtopped, the spill ways were roaring and four huge relief pipes (maybe four feet in diameter) were firing water fifty yards down the Glen.

The Spey around the Ruthven Barracks was flooded right the way across between the A9 and the Insch road, goodness knows how big it would be by the times it reaches the Moray Firth.

The Tay looked really high around Dunkeld, there were some worried looking railway engineers just south of Ballinluig. Perth may be in trouble.

Never seen anything like it. Hope everyone is safe.

bruneep

how do you suddenly happen to have 2 fire engines to hand? 😐

Might explain why we’re always short

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 345 total)

The topic ‘Flooding’ is closed to new replies.