Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Fjallraven Jackets – any opinions?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Might have a chance for a Fjallraven jacket (short length parka style, quilted, hydratic polar model) secondhand. They look v expensive new and seem like they’re good quality … any real life experiences?

Am after a warmer than usual jacket as really feeling the cold these days – be used for general wear, dog walking (not hiking).

Gather the sizing comes up big so assume drop down one size from my usual?

jamesmio
    Free Member

Wearing mine on the train right now. Its a Skogsgo (I think), fairly big G-1000 fabric number and it’s super toasty.

It only gets pulled out of the cupboard in Winter as it’s proper warm but it’s a lovely bit of kit. The Greenland wax rub on stuff helps with the waterproofing.

Sizing wise I’m Large in generally everything upper body wise and this is a Large too.

RichT

You’ve got it right, lovely stuff but expensive. I don’t find it comes up large – use their size guide.
    https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/customer-service/size-chart/

benv
    Free Member

It’s expensive because it is well made for working outside all day everyday and keeping you comfortable. If that’s not you then it’s probably overkill to spend those amounts new. It’s a bit of a fashion brand these days as well as an outdoor brand though so who knows. If I had chance to get something I liked and would use at a decent price I’d jump at it.

stevious

Dunno how good the clothing is but it’s a fun word to say out loud in a Scandinavian accent.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Fjällräven menar du? bara bra. riktig hög kvalité men dyrt som faaaaan hör ni

aP
    Free Member

I have a few jackets, a couple of jumpers, and some shirts. Quality is very good. I suspect you won’t regret taking over ownership of that pre-owned jacket.
    As a brand they’ve become very popular recently. Whether that bothers you or not?

LeeW

Have a several jackets, I have a 40″ chest and found the sizing a little odd though, Small in a Keb and Skogso and XS in a Greenland.

Brilliant jackets though, very well made and the Skogso is warm enough for me.

ElShalimo

Agree with everything above.

It’s top quality expensive kit that has been adopted as a lifestyle brand in the UK and US. It’s still good kit though.

Sizing is consistent with the sizing chart too.

ton

top price for a jacket made in asia.

cheaper and better options available else where.

and i own one

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Go on, show us one of these cheaper and better options – whenever someone drops that line the kit they have in mind inevitably turns out to be cheaper, pretty shit and hideous.

djflexure

I tried to buy my wife one last Christmas
    She sent it back
    Looked very well made
    She thought it was boxy, and too expensive

Ended up with a Didrcksons in the sale
    I have one too
    I think we bought the two coats for a lot less

ton

line the kit they have in mind inevitably turns out to be cheaper, pretty shit and hideous.

i have 4 you can choose from, which are as warm, as waterproof and were cheaper than my fjallraven skogso coat.

a harkila waxed cotton/poly thing similar to the fjallrave.
    a barbour sapper, which is warmer than the fjallraven.
    a waterproof wool jupiter, which is smarter than the fjallraven.
    and a cioch lota coat, which is warmer and far more waterproof than all the others.

richardkennerley

I’ve got a Greenland winter. It’s a nice jacket, keeps me nice and toasty, been going a few years and still looks decent.

I’m 6’2 and pretty lanky. It’s a boxy fit made to fit over other layers. I ended up with a small so that it didn’t swamp me, but that means it’s a little short, especially in the arms. Not made for tall ‘uns.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ll concede that whilst some of those don’t look as shit as I expected they’re not exactly cheaper and better – RRP on a Sapper is £30 more than a Skogso for example?

aP
    Free Member

@ton it’s hard to disagree with the made in Asia statement.

benv
    Free Member

Asia is a big place where a lot of things are made. Bit racist presuming something made there is of lower quality or somehow should be lower price than if made anywhere else.

Robz
    Free Member

Quite a lot of well made expensive things are made in Asia.

loddrik
    Free Member

When Arc’teryx switched production from Canada to China there was no drop off in quality whatsoever. People who say otherwise are talking nonsense.

Believe it or not people in Asia are just if not more capable of making good quality products.

shooterman

I have a Raven winter jacket. Very well made and warm. The sizing is not generous and I would agree with the comment above that they can be boxy. Very glad I bought it though.

Spin
    Free Member

The standard Skogso is uninsulated so not sure why people are saying it is warm unless they have the insulated one?

I’ve got a Sten jacket which I like for a casual jacket but a bit over priced for what it is (I got it for much cheapness, in fact I got 2 for the price of one when the stitching came undone after about 2 weeks and Amazon didn’t want the original back).

For UK climate most Fjallraven stuff is basically town and country fashion kit rather than the serious outdoor apparel they seem to tout it as. None the worse for that but worth knowing.

ChrisHeath

I have a Skogso. As above, it’s unlined so not particularly warm on its own, but windproof (and reasonably waterproof once waxed, but it does wet through in heavy rain).

I’m 6’2″ with a 40″ chest, and wear a large so I can layer beneath it. Sleeves are long. I could have got away with a medium, but I don’t find they come up massively big. I don’t know how some of you tall people are wearing such small sizes, unless the other styles are sized significantly differently.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Didn’t somebody from Sweden say on here that the Swedes just see it as a fashion brand? Bit like Barbour. £200+ for a windproof that you need to treat to make kinda water proof?

ton

Bit racist presuming something made there is of lower quality or somehow should be lower price than if made anywhere else.

I mentioned asia, meaning that the folk who make the jackets are probably paid 50p a day to do so. and the fjallraven folk take the other200+ quid as profit.
    are you ok with that?

BadlyWiredDog

Believe it or not people in Asia are just if not more capable of making good quality products.

What’s actually happened is that factories in the far east have invested in high tec machinery that means they can often carry out processes which aren’t viable in the EU or US. As far as wages go, the more scrupulous brands generally make a point of using manufacturing facilities that are fairly run with good conditions, pay etc. Things have changed a fair bit in China thanks to labour availability with means that wages have increased – cue some brands looking for cheaper countries to manufacture in.

I’m not saying that there aren’t dubious sweatshops operating in Asia, but Scandinavian brands generally come from a culture where there’s a lot of emphasis on sustainability and ethics and I’d be very surprised if Fjällräven is using low-end factories. Ironically it’s one of the reasons their stuff is expensive, that and the use of recycled / recyclable fabrics and components.

My take is that their stuff is expensive. It doesn’t have the most sophisticated cut in the world, but it’s well-made using some interesting fabrics. If you want well-cut, tailored, semi-casual outdoors-type stuff, have a look at the Arc’teryx Lifestyle stuff:

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/c/mens/lifestyle

It’s pricey, but they often sell off factory samples and surplus on Sportpursuit at half price, just search for Arc’teryx on there even if there’s not a headline brand sale.

The Asia thing? Huge amounts of consumer goods – hello Apple – are made out there, often in dubious conditions, ironically northern European outdoors brands like Fjälläven tend to be the good guys when it comes to ethical production, see:

https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/about/sustainability/sustainable-production

As a brand? It’s never been cutting edge technical in an Arc’teryx sort of style, more of a top-end, everyday outoorsy sort of thing for hikers, hunters, everyday use etc. Which is about right if what you want is an everyday outdoors sort of thing and the cut works for you. Same group as Primus and Hanwag fwiw. I’d agree that at RRP it’s ferociously expensive.

BadlyWiredDog

I don’t know how some of you tall people are wearing such small sizes, unless the other styles are sized significantly differently.

I think they use different blocks for different styles. The (very expensive) Ecoshell waterproof jacket in medium is equivalent to a large in most brands, really big, but their G1000 stuff seems more conventional in sizing. No idea on the insulated jackets.

footflaps

It’s a bit of a fashion brand these days as well as an outdoor brand though so who knows.

Yep very successful, our local outdoor store has opened a brand new dedicated Fjällräven store as have quite a few other outdoor shops. Quite unusual to see new Bricks and Mortar stores opening these days. Their rucksacks are becoming ubiquitous as well.

Personally I don’t like the look of any of it.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for Arc’teryx

voodoo_chile

Arc,teryx is wildly overpriced plus the quality has dropped over the last 15-20 years.. Has anyone ever paid full RRP on a a arc, teryx product probably not

footflaps

Arc,teryx is wildly overpriced plus the quality has dropped over the last 15-20 years.

Not that much more than top of the range equivalent models from Rab, ME, Black Diamond, Patagonia etc. I suspect a lot of them all come from the same factory using the same fabrics….

BadlyWiredDog

Arc’teryx still manufactures some of its stuff in Canada where it pioneered lamination technology in particular. It also makes in China and elsewhere in the world. I’m not convinced quality has dropped to be honest, though I think other major outdoors brands have caught up with them.

One of the things I really like about the brand is that everything it makes still looks like an Arc’teryx product. I have an old Gamma MX (I think) which must be from around 2005 or so and it’s one of the few jackets from that era that doesn’t look like an antique. In fact it’s visually almost identical to the current Gamma MX.

drnosh
    Free Member

‘What’s actually happened is that factories in the far east have invested in high tec machinery that means they can often carry out processes which aren’t viable in the EU or US.’

This.

I visit manufacturing companies in the UK. The level of investment and tech in some is next to zero. I don’t see them surviving long term.

Productivity is appalling. Relying on overtime. Piss poor plannng. Alway late on delivery.

bigjim

Ooh ton you triggered all the middle age middle class stwers who bought the jacket to go with the audi

I really like the poncho type one but it’s affy dear for just a cotton shell. They’re a very common brand here in Denmark – it’s the current must-have rucksack.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Not a jacket I know but I bought some Fjallraven trousers and, for the price, I can’t believe how weak they were. My ballbags managed to wear a hole through them which is pretty embarrassing so shows how thin and weak the material was and the zip packed up. Failed zips are one of my biggest bug bears with clothing as they’re expensive to replace. I honestly think my Dickies trousers are better at 1/4 of the price. Carhartt’s jackets look OK for a fashion/work brand but are about £200.

CaptainSlow

Mine is not warm or waterproof but it looks nice. (Not insulated so not expected to be warm, g1000 isn’t waterproof)

Waxing it helped using their soap bar stuff. It was a doddle to apply with a hair dryer.

Great marketing and their bags are popping up all over in London…

I’m 6’3” and fit is ok. I’d buy another if I found it on sale. MY old Howies ventile is better all round though

Edit – I’ve got the Raven. The fold away hood is utterly pointless. A carrier bag or newspaper would be more use but at least it looks nice….

Futureboy77

I have a few FJ jackets that I wear to work or to the pub etc. as they look decent. Would I wear one in a a situation where I wanted waterproof and warm…absolutely not.
    If you want a decent quality casual jacket, FJ is OK. If you want a good jacket that will keep you warm and dry, look elsewhere (layer up with ME, Arc etc).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Productivity is appalling. Relying on overtime. Piss poor plannng. Alway late on delivery.

That’s industry standard is it not…… I don’t mean clothing industry I mean *any* industry.

duckman

I wonder if some folk as missing the point of fjallraven? I see it as a comfy jacket that is a bit harder wearing than a “fashion” brand. I will wear it mooching around as it saves my “proper” outdoor kit. Raven jacket here, wee bit of the waterproofing and vastly improved.

ton

I also have one of these now. work has just bought us em.
    also nice than my fjallraven jacket, at a quarter of the price.

https://www.misupplies.co.uk/clothing-c12/mens-workwear-c635/jackets-c24/carhartt-workwear-101230-sandstone-berwick-jacket-p10973

footflaps

I wonder if some folk as missing the point of fjallraven? I see it as a comfy jacket that is a bit harder wearing than a “fashion” brand.

Their adverts do show people on hills in snow, implying it is outdoor gear rather than ‘look cool whilst eating smashed avocado on toast’, which is probably a better use for it .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Fjallraven Jackets – any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.