Home Forums Bike Forum Fixable through redishing? Other options?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fixable through redishing? Other options?
  • sixtoes

I finally got around to putting the wheels I bought in the Wiggle fire sale on my roadbike. They must be a little wider than my old ones and also a little more offset to one side as the tyre now rubs the frame. I think there is just enough space if the wheelrim is moved to the left, am I right this could be done by getting it redished? Is there any other option short of a narrower tyre, different wheel, or different frame? Thanks!
    Frame and tyre

bikerevivesheffield

1/2 turn on each spoke should sort it – undo ds, tighten nds

joshvegas
    Free Member

Dishing isn’t hard. Stick a half turn on the non drive side spokes see what happens.

There is loads of space there

scotroutes

That looks quite a long way out. Do you see a similar variance when your old wheels are in the frame?

frogstomp

Probably unlikely, but just in case.. is it a QR wheel that’s not seated in the drop-outs correctly?

phil5556

What frame is it?

I know of at least one that has an offset rear end and a wheel to match. No idea how common a thing it is?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Flip the wheel around to see if the offset moves in the other direction. If it does, then the wheel is off and needs refusing anyway, if it does, you have an offset frame. That may it may not be intentional

sixtoes

Thanks everyone. I’ve never tried adjusting spokes before but I’ll give that a go as suggested, sounds like its easier than I thought!

The old wheels were a bit out but the other way, so maybe that’s as designed. Its a 2016 Giant Defy 1 Disc. With the wheel in the other way round it’s less pronounced, but the tyre was still closer to the DS than NDS. So maybe the frame is a little bit bent, maybe the old wheels were offset, not sure. It rode OK before and I’ve done thousands of km on it so I’m not going to worry too much as long as I can get it working again!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Always start from the valve and finish at the valve. Do the same turn on every spoke so the wheel stays true. Easy.

Bruce

I would borrow a dishing tool and check the dish before blindly tweaking spokes.

drewd

Not sure what the wheels are, but I’d double check the end caps are the right way round before making any adjustments. Sometimes they’re sided.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Dishing tool might not help. Sounds like it’s a little bit frame and a little bit wheel. Centring the wheel to that frame seems like the best idea.

oldnpastit

Are these the prime wheels? I have a set from the sales and they sent the wrong end caps. Perhaps you have somehow got something similar. I would find the dimensions and get measuring before blindly twiddling nipples.

goldfish24

I’d just blindly twiddle the nipples.

I love blindly twiddling nipples as much as the next cyclist, but seriously, I see no harm doing it here.

cookeaa

Have you tried the wheel in the dropouts the other way round?

Should indicate if the wheel is off or the frame is wonky…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.