Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Fitting V-brakes to disc only frame?
  • Jase_MK
    Free Member

I know it sounds like a dumb question but go with it…

My SS commuter bike is an old late 90s S-Works running V-brakes. It's a touch on the small side for me and I have a spare SS/Slot dropout inbred frame in the garage that would fit me much better (and negate the need for a tensioner), but it doesn't have brake bosses.

Switching to discs on that bike is out of the question – would require new wheels, new forks, buying some discs brakes etc. However, if I could fit the v-brakes to the inbred somehow…

Does nobody make some sort of clamp on brake bosses?

Hadge
    Free Member

I'd doubt it as there are tremendous forces put in the pivot points for canti's/v brakes but would be surprised to see any. I wouldn't trust them though. You might be able get some on braze weld onto steel/alloy frames but not sure.

wwaswas

you could get away with putting a disk on the back only and keep forks etc but as above – the frame won't have been designed for v'brakes and even with a Magura booster you'd be askign for trouble.

You'd be better offering a swap on the classfieds and seeign if you can find someone with the opposite problem (on v's wants disks)?

GaryLake
    Free Member

You could get a frame builder like Argos to braze some on for you but tbh it'll probably be cheaper to find another retro-ish frame…

mtbfix
    zaskar
    Free Member

mtbfix-thats for converting v-brake studs to cantilever isn't it?

If not I want a pair for my disc rigid forks.

mtbfix

No, it's a BMX part for fitting Vs to a bike that came with a cheapo caliper or U brake. It might require a bit of a fudge anchoring it depending on the frame you have as it uses 2 jubilee clips and, ideally, a bolt through the seatstay bridge or fork crown.

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Hmmm, ok, thought as much.

Cheap SH disc hub for the rear and a bargain disc brake is prob a better idea then.

Cheers for the info

Olly
    Free Member

though for the price of a wheel and a brake, you could get a new frame?

geoffj

I've got a 90s Spesh Rockhopper frame and forks in red, with slidey drop outs and v-brake bosses if you are interested? Probably looking for around £75 posted for it if you are interested.
    Geoff

Jase_MK
    Free Member

Thanks, though to be honest I don't really fancy spending money on a new frame. The S-Works I have at the moment is mostly OK and I was more seeing if there was a way to make the inbred work with those components. If I'm going to spend any money it'll be in a forwards direction by eventually getting some new wheels and discs.

Got an LX hub off the bay a couple months back for £4 so I'll keep an eye out for something like that and a cheapo rear disc brake.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Fitting V-brakes to disc only frame?’ is closed to new replies.