Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fitting a titanium headset to a titanium frame…
  • tbike
    Free Member

Fitting a titanium headset to a titanium frame…

Could you do this at home with a hammer and vice?
    Or best to pay the local bike shop £22 to do it?

Any thoughts please?

tBike…

oldfart

Do you REALLY need to ask ? 😯

grim168
    Free Member

Or spend spend the money on a headset press http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cyclus-headset-press/

eyerideit
    Free Member

Do it yourself, the proper way.

brodie
    Free Member

Really? You have a titanium frame AND a titanium headset and you a mithering over paying £22 to get the two united. 🙄

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Pay them to unite your interface.

You know it makes sense.

IanMunro
    Free Member

My first thought is why a titanium headset? It’s going to weigh more than an ali one.

Northwind

My first thought too. My second thought is don’t worry about getting it in, worry about getting it back out once galling’s kicked in.

iceman8
    Free Member

Get one of these bad boys

Under a tenner all in and do the job just as well as any other press. I have popped in various angle sets etc. (which need to be perfectly aligned) with one no problems. For gods sake don’t use a hammer though. Please.

nicko74

My first thought too. My second thought is don’t worry about getting it in, worry about getting it back out once galling’s kicked in.

Me too

nigelb001
    Free Member

Get one of these bad boys

No, it doesn’t centre the cups so they can still slip to an angle. Its better than no press but can still be a faff. I’ve managed to do three headsets with it but if ever I need to do more i’ll buy one of the presses mentioned above like the Wiggle one.

nostoc
    Free Member

I`m surprised that no-one has told you yet. You need a titanium headset press.

amplebrew

I bought a lovely CK titanium headset on go on a previous titanium frame but decided against fitting it when I heard that Moots advised against it (see post 5)

I ended up using a standard CK headset and selling the Ti version.

I reckon that Moots must know what they’re talking about.

bigdean

I wouldnt press or screw any ti part into a ti frame unless properley coated and greased. Even then it sounds like a bad idea.

tbike
    Free Member

Thank you wise men (ladies?) of STW. A virtual beer for you all. Print your token out and redeem a the local.

Yeah, I think once the Ti connects it will be permanent until another Russian meteor originates from North Korea.

tiBike!

teethgrinder

Ti hammer?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

My LBS are great. Last headset they fitted to a bike of mine cost me a tenner. And seeing as they didn’t charge me for taking a chainring off a 1pc bmx crank a few weeks earlier, I have to say I am up to my ears in inner tubes I may not need, just so they can keep in business. don’t know if they still charge the same, but in any event, C&N Redhill are nice chaps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a titanium headset to a titanium frame…’ is closed to new replies.