Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting a longer stem – Genesis Latitude
  • dawson

Currently pondering fitting a longer stem, but just considering possible side effects.

I’ve had the bike a while and think i’d prefer more reach.
    Current stem is 80mm, so was thinking of getting 100mm.

i.e. is it more likely to lift the front wheel on steep climbs? and worse on steep descents?

Or will the difference be negligible…

Jamie
    Free Member

i.e. is it more likely to lift the front wheel on steep climbs?

Other way round, shirley?

Toasty

Other way round, shirley?

Depends whether it’s pointing forwards or backwards, shirley? 😛

is it more likely to lift the front wheel on steep climbs?

No, you’ll be more over the front wheel.

dawson

ah, yes – weight would be (marginally) further forward – so should help to keep it down.

By that rationale steep descents would be worse too.

Answered my own question really, haven’t I..

As you were..

Jamie
    Free Member

By that rationale steep descents would be worse too.

Just hang your arse off the back of the saddle to compensate.

Reluctant
    Free Member

My Latitude felt “neutral” (in terms of steering/handling) with a 65mm stem, running a 120 travel Fox. 80 already sounds long to me and I’d imagine with 100mm it’ll steer like a boat. What characteristic are you trying to change?

dawson

in magazine speak – looking for more length in the cockpit – feels like i’m sitting up too straight – saddle is already pushed as far back as I can

Jamie
    Free Member

Wrong size frame?

roverpig

Although conventional wisdom states that wide bars and short stems are best, I found that moving from a 75mm stem to a 100mm stem on my Kinesis FF29 just made it feel right. Don’t ask me why, it doesn’t make any sense, but a 75mm stem felt wrong, a 50mm stem felt worse, but with a 100mm stem it just seems to fit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

By that rationale steep descents would be worse too

It’s not like you lean on your handlebar when descending; you balance on your pedals and the front-centre of the bike is not altered by changing the stem, it’s a property of the frame. With a longer stem you naturally compensate by getting your chest lower, which is a good thing. But you might have problems reaching if your bike already has a longish top-tube. It all depends on the bike.

dawson

@Jamie – its a 19″, I’m about 6’1″, there is still plenty of seatpost in the frame.

@roverpig- cheers, interesting to hear – I’ve seen some cheap FSA stems on ebay, so I might give it a go.

I don’t know if its because I’m coming from an old Kona that has a more stretched position compared to the Genesis, which is what I’d class as as having new-style/modern geometry i.e. wider bars and shorter stem – perhaps I’m just trying to replicate the riding position I have on my Kona!

dannyh
    Free Member

Ah yes, the genesis sizing. I have a 19 inch core 40 and I am 5’11” and I feel it is on the borderline of being a tad short. Try a wider bar, maybe, it will increase the reach slightly without deadening the steering.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting a longer stem – Genesis Latitude’ is closed to new replies.