Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • First time on velodrome
  • Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Am going to Calshott for a "play" on Saturday.

Not sure if I am after advice or just making a statement but am definately looking forwards to it 🙂

meeeee
    Free Member

remember…

1st rule of velodrome club – DONT STOP PEDALLING 😀

tonyg2003

I'll not tell you what happened last time I road Calshot but A&E was involved. Calshot is a blast you won't beleive how short it is.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Speed is your friend!

As long as the person your following's not just backed off

I was on there a week or so back myself, good fun

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Short is good, then I may not be too knackered at the end of a lap … I may even go for a second one!!

Not so sure about A&E though

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Oh yeh, have never ridden a fixie before either…will I die?

tonyg2003

A really fast lap at Calshot is just over ten seconds – you shouldn't be too out of breath.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

IIRC, Calshot is the chopped-down version of the old Wembley Skol 6-day track, is it not?

crazy-legs

Calshot is very short and VERY steep!
    (actually it's only a few degrees steeper than Manchester but it feels worse because it's so short).

Good luck and remember – don't look down!

debaser

As stated above, don't stop pedalling.

Don't death grip the bars, relax and don't stop pedalling.

Go hell for leather around the bankings, don't stop pedalling.

I've only tried it the once – never having ridden fixed beforehand – and it scared the bejesus out of me at first but it's well worth it once you get used to it.

Think I'll head back for another go next year… whose idea was it to build an outdoor velodrome in Scotland? 🙄

Oh, the time that you are most likley to stop pedalling is just after a big sprint for the line. Watch out for that one and enjoy.

gusamc
    Free Member

get a mate with a camera, get a tall mate to bimble round the bottom in vertical mode, bomb round top in leant over as much as poss not scared mode, time photo to suit, post

scaredypants

if you're on a taster session it'll start off very basic (if my experience is typical). There were about 10 of us and spent the vast majority going round singly or v small groups and only had time for ONE "fast" lap. Was quite disappointed. (reckon it was a bit dangerous too, as we all went straight from slow to a bit too fast due to knowing we only had 1 lap – I definitely had a bit of a moment, trying to freewheel as I hit the 1st bend at quickish pace!)

mwleeds

I did a session at calshot a few years ago while I was at uni. I really enjoyed it despite never having ridden a fixie. I wasn't seriously into mountain or road riding back then either, so didn't have any pedals to take. Trying to get in and out of toe-clips whilst pedalling is a skill I don't have!

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Never ridden a fixed-wheel bike? You guys haven't lived! Spent virtually all of the mid/late 1960s racing on one of these.

ourmaninthenorth

Do people really forget to pedal when riding at the track? I have to say it's never caught me out (I'll do it now this Thursday…).

Only *tricky* moment was my first run out on my new (well, at least third hand) bike, when I pulled the wheel forward in the track end, jamming the tyre against the chainstay and locking my feet up.

Somehow I managed to hold it, and pointed it down the banking and hopped off on the concrete. Phew!

Anyway, you'll have an ace time – not ridden at Calshot, but I hear it's faaaaast.

tthew

I've been to Manchester loads over the last 18 months, and the other night I still had a forgot-to-pedal moment, but the chances of it chucking you off are pretty negligable IMHO, the instant kick in the knee soon reminds you!

Also, don't change line without having a look behind, track bikes can be very quiet when approaching fast from behind. It's an absolute blast.

scaredypants

Do people really forget to pedal when riding at the track?

Yeh – was the 1st time ever on a fixed wheel (apart from riding backwards sitting on the bars on my mate's bike aged about 14). The corners at calshot are pretty tight & it seemed a bit like a big berm when I went fast.

SO I did what I'd do on a berm, lean over & keep my outside foot down (briefly 😳 )

tthew

Oh yeah, I suppose that might do it!

mrchrispy

here is me at calshot just the other week, the wife came along with our pet cat

scaredypants

mrchrispy – you can just make out a couple of my teeth embedded in the wall

( 😉 nah, stayed on – just about)

theotherjonv

I've seen that photo before, and it never fails to impress me.

'Riding motorbikes aound a vertical wall just isn't cutting it any longer now the kids are all into jumps and stunts. What can we do to make it more gnar?'

'Get a lion in a sidecar?'

samuri
    Free Member

I still see people do it (stop pedalling) every now and again, it's rare though with experienced guys. Usually when they're distracted.

As for advice for the OP, yep, keep focussing on not stopping pedalling 😉 Move up the track if you think you're going to go into the back of someone else and most of all have fun, try and relax. I love going to the track. There's something quite beautiful about caning along in a pack of 40 people at 25mph with only 6 inches between you and the person in front and 6 inches between you and the person behind.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I will try not to stop pedalling but if I do will post pics when I get out of A&E 🙂

Samuri – I think your idea of beautiful & mine may differ but I am happy to be proved wrong!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Don't be too scared, it's much easier to ride slowly than Manchester etc because it's actually not steep enough for the length (the original 6day track was over 60degrees, not a wimpy 45). You do get a great sense of speed though for not a lot of effort though, enjoy!

AndyP
    Free Member

just relax, enjoy and LOOK.
    Don't worry about the stopping pedalling thing – you're not going to die, you'll just get a bit of a jolt and start pedalling again.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

ditto… Relax and enjoy you will have a blast.

We used to race at Kirkby (when it was there) on a Wednesday night and it was great fun. Dont think about stopping pedalling and you wont. I always used to stay as close to the front as possible as if someone switches you it can get a bit 'snappy'.

crazy-legs

Look ahead, not at the wheel in front. Follow the curve of the lines on the track and your peripheral vision will kind of automatically accommodate the riders around you as well.

I've had an hour on Manchester velodrome this morning, was great fun. 🙂

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Loved it 🙂

I remembered to pedal (except when I didnt but thats ok you very soon remember to start again)

Mad me laugh like a crazy thing & didnt stop grinning for ages… looking at the above again, I spent far too much time looking at the wheel in front & the gap between me & the cyclist in front was too large …next time I will work on that.

Anybody who hasnt done it, get down there its great fun 😆

geoffj

Sounds great – I'm looking forward to when they finish the Glasgow one for 2014 🙂

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘First time on velodrome’ is closed to new replies.