Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • First release of whisky – keep or drink? 🤔
  • the-muffin-man

As part of my Christmas pressies was a first release of a new whisky from a new English distillery. And is due to be released early Feb.

Part of me is thinking this may be worth something in future if I store it and don’t open it. The other half is saying just drink it and keep the empty bottle as a memento!

Not sure if this sort of thing appreciates – especially as it’s from a new distiller with no history.

IHN

It was made to be drunk. Drink it.

bigblackshed

How do you know what it tastes like?

You might be keeping a bottle of ferret pee, or you could have a bottle of the finest tasting substance know to man.

Buy 2. Drink one, or use it as drain cleaner, keep the other one for your kids to use as drain cleaner.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Everything might be worth something in the future, everything might not.

On the other hand it will definitely be nice* to drink.

Life is way too short to worry about not doing nice stuff because it might be worth a few bob (you may not want, need, it be able to use) in a couple of decades.

All those folks you see selling their mint condition action figures from the 70s, boxes and all. Think how bloody miserable they were as a child, do not be that child.

*It might not taste nice but like a lot of things, it’s always nice to try new stuff.

airvent
    Free Member

Just drink it

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Drink it – you wont care how much its worth in the future if you get hit by the number 5 bus on the way home.

johndoh
    Free Member

if you get hit by the number 5 bus on the way home

Which may happen if the OP drinks a bottle of whisky…

jacobyte

If you’re new to whisky, then drink a bit, get some other different ones, then alternate them over several months as the earlier ones start running out; ultimately you’ll have 4 or 5 on the go of different characters. This will be an ongoing pleasure of whisky discovery, especially when shared with visitors.

Keeping whisky in a sealed bottle is a waste, it’s not going to improve with age and you’ll never know if it’s any good. Where’s the fun in that, when you can have a headache instead?

shermer75
    Free Member

As bets go I’d say there’s a low chance of a pay out and an even lower chance of a pay out worth getting excited about, as I’m pretty sure English whisky doesn’t have much market appeal

pk13

Sadly English puts it’s in drink it. Unless you have bottle no1.
    It might be worth a few qiud in a good few years if it takes off. Can it be called whisky anyway?

finbar
    Free Member

Sadly English puts it’s in drink it.

How much whisky have you been drinking?

kormoran
    Free Member

I’ve drunk a lot of whisky in my time! Very few I have actually liked enough to buy again though.

There’s a good chance it won’t be all that great, at best it will probably be ok-ish. If you try it now, you probably won’t like it and the bottle is open.  Personally i’d stick it in a cupboard, forget about it and go and buy yourself something decent to enjoy.

That way you can put off your disappointment for a few years!

dyna-ti

Scotch.

From Scotland is Whisky.

From Ireland is Whiskey.

From anywhere else is Scotch.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

From anywhere else is Scotch

Except when it’s not. Like from, say, Tennessee?

Also as to be Scotch it has to be produced and bottled entirely within Scotland I think your line in the same might be on the wrong beach.

the-muffin-man

I think drink it is winning! 🤣🤣

I’ve had samplers at 1 and 2 years old already.

It’s being sold as whisky so the old whisky/whiskey thing can’t be true. And the Japanese malts are sold as whisky.

Cougar

How old is it? If it’s very young it’s about likely to be good for cleaning paintbrushes. Beyond maybe 8yo you’re getting into drinkable territory. I’d probably crack it if it was a 10yo or more, shove it in a cupboard otherwise.

From Scotland is Whisky.

From Ireland is Whiskey.

Correct.

From anywhere else is Scotch.

Abject nonsense.

Cougar

It’s being sold as whisky so the old whisky/whiskey thing can’t be true. And the Japanese malts are sold as whisky.

The story goes that Irish malts took the spelling whiskey to differentiate from the then-inferior Scottish products (though this may be apocryphal and there may be other language differences here also). American whiskey (and a couple of other outliers) takes the Irish spelling because of the relatively high number of Irish colonists migrated to the US, most of the rest of the world including Japan use the now more ubiquitous Scots spelling.

The only time I’ve ever heard it referred to as Scotch is when they’re buying Bell’s.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Abject nonsense.

Assuming your talking about English whisky I’ll agree.

That really is abject nonsense.

Cougar

Except when it’s not. Like from, say, Tennessee?

That’s an interesting one because Jack Daniel’s is almost a bourbon. But bourbon laws are a thing and they cannot call their product “bourbon” because of an additional filtering process they use which breaks the specifications. So it is a “Tennessee Whiskey” instead, which I think is a largely meaningless descriptor that JD made up.

dyna-ti

Abject nonsense.

You disagree ?

Feel free to back up your claims with proof of definition.

the-muffin-man

I thought they only drank Scotch in 70’s movies and by big business men in shows like Dallas! 🤣🤣

jodafett

Plucked from the internet so it must be true!

Legal definition of Scotch whisky
    “Scotch whisky” means a whisky produced in Scotland:

(a) that has been distilled at a distillery in Scotland from water and malted barley (to which only whole grains of other cereals may be added) all of which have been:

processed at that distillery into a mash;
    converted at that distillery into a fermentable substrate only by endogenous enzyme systems; and
    fermented at that distillery only by the addition of yeast;
    (b) that has been distilled at an alcoholic strength by volume of less than 94.8 per cent so that the distillate has an aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production;

(c) that has been matured only in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres;

(d) that has been matured only in Scotland;

(e) that has been matured for a period of not less than three years;

(f) that has been matured only in an excise warehouse or a permitted place;

(g) that retains the colour, aroma and taste derived from the raw materials used in, and the method of, its production and maturation;

(h) to which no substance has been added, or to which no substance has been added except:

water;
    plain caramel colouring; or
    water and plain caramel colouring; and
    (i) that has a minimum alcoholic strength by volume of 40%.

Cougar

Feel free to back up your claims with proof of definition.

I’m not making claims and it’s not my job to prove yours.

Nonetheless: “scotch whisky” is a Geographical Indicator and thus a protected term just like “Cornish Pasty” or “Champagne.” Anything calling itself “Scotch whisky” is literally the opposite of what you said, it has to be from Scotland.

Cougar
    dyna-ti

I’m not making claims and it’s not my job to prove yours.

Nonetheless: “scotch whisky” is a Geographical Indicator and thus a protected term just like “Cornish Pasty” or “Champagne.” Anything calling itself “Scotch whisky” is literally the opposite of what you said, it has to be from Scotland.

“Scotch Whisky 😕 Who said anything about Scotch Whisky. I said Scotch, didn’t include the ‘Whisky’ bit.

So you can have all the ‘Scotch Whiskey’ links you want. None of which apply to the disambiguous claims you want. None of which apply to Scotch

But anyway, you are not only disagreeing, but saying its nonsense, so back up those claims as asked.

andy4d

I have a last batch bottle from about 25 years ago that I gave my dad on his 50th. Nothing special just sentimental really as it was a local distillery that was closing down. Cost about £50. He never opened it, said he was keeping it to wet the babies head when my 1st child came along, but never did open it. It’s worth about £250 now according to Google.

dashed
    Free Member

WTAF?!?

Scotch whiskey is a protected name, meaning the product comes from Scotland. On this point we all agree.

But dyna-to is trying to argue that dropping the word “whisky” from the definition (the non-geographical part) and using only word “scotch” means it’s from anywhere other than Scotchland.

I can’t have got that right, as that would make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Cougar

Who said anything about Scotch Whisky. I said Scotch, didn’t include the ‘Whisky’ bit.

Oh come on, seriously? You were talking about whisk(e)y in a whisky thread. Are we to assume that you abruptly and silently started meaning Scotch eggs?

so back up those claims as asked.

I could give you many, many sources as could Google but again, it’s not my claim to defend, it’s yours. You’re simply wrong, I cannot prove the non-existence of something.

joshvegas
    Free Member

As far as I am aware scotch on its own is only ever used to refer to scotch whisky in America where ordering whisky will you get a gulping or sipping whiskey of American or Irish origin (American whiskey evolving from Irish distilling practices). I have never in my entire life heard of scotch used for anything other than Scottish Whisky and generally in the context of it being a cut above. Like ordering a cognac not a brandy.

And Whisky covers Japanese (obsessed with scotch) and Canadian (historically more Scottish distilling history)

But frankly who gives a shit it’s all an affectation I’d try English whisky or English whiskey and not bat an eyelid.

pk13

Lolz
    Can we just call it tcp my wife does

joshvegas
    Free Member

That’s quite an accurate description of a fair few spirits to be fair.

Cougar

in America where ordering whisky will you get a gulping or sipping whiskey

Is that still a thing? I think the only time I’ve heard “sipping / gulping whiskey” is in Western movies. Or maybe Red Dwarf’s Gunmen of the Apocalypse.

firestarter
    Free Member

Why does everything on this bloody site have to turn (rapidly) in to a pointless argument

Ps drink it,
    As for ages I had loads of 3,4 and 5 year old that have been lovely, in fact when I pick up bottles from smws I tend to favour 5 to 8 yr old, I also much prefer younger peated stuff, and I’ve tried a lot lol

northernmatt

Arguments aside and getting back to OP.

If it’s first release you’ve no idea if it’s going to be good or not unless you can find a review of it somewhere. So just drink it and if you want another buy another.

It might be shite. I had a bottle which was worth a few Bob but after speaking to a few experts they said it wasn’t the best from that distillery and I’d be best off flogging it and buying a bottle half the price from a different one.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is that still a thing? I think the only time I’ve heard “sipping / gulping whiskey” is in Western movies. Or maybe Red Dwarf’s Gunmen of the Apocalypse.

That was a joke. But Essentially exactly that, whisky in westerns is whiskey. The baddy might drink scotch if he he is the nefarious ranch owner type rather than the gunslinging train robber.

dyna-ti

Drink it ,enjoy it or use it to degrease your chain. there’s bound to be one there that suits.

Spirits taste horrendous to my palate anyhow. Just a means of getting sloshed quicker without having to run to the bog every 1/2 hours.

@Cougar

All you needed to say buddy was ‘Are you sure?, I thought such and such’. But as per usual you have to disagree in a violently aggressive manner. And I think you’ve been warned and picked up on that eh 😕

dissonance

It’s worth about £250 now according to Google.

i did get given a bottle a while back which end of last year I was about to get round to drinking. However since it was supposed to be a collectible one I googled it and changed my mind since it might be really good (oddly though all the articles just talk about collectability) and the price now is high enough I could buy several bottles I know I really like.
    Not overly helpful for the OP I guess. Personally I would see if I could try a glass somewhere and see whether I want to drink it or not.
    My preference is to drink what I have and the only reason this one lasted is I dont drink a huge amount and had several bottles in my backlog with only a couple open at a time.

duncancallum

@dashed

Scotch whiskey

Isn’t protected scotch whisky might be…

😛

CountZero

But frankly who gives a shit it’s all an affectation I’d try English whisky or English whiskey and not bat an eyelid.

Damn right! Some years back I thought I’d give Penderyn a try, it being the first Welsh Whisky, AFAIK, and I was a bit disappointed, it was a bit ‘harsh’, but it was early days. I bought some more a Christmas or two back, and it was much improved, a lot smoother, so the ageing does make a difference.

I used to drink Laphroig a lot, I’d buy a bottle of 10yo at Christmas along with a couple of other distilleries, but then I noticed it tasted a bit different, not as smooth, so I checked, and it had become so popular that they were having to sell it at minimum ageing and not mention the age on the packaging.

Provided it’s been allowed to age properly, I’ll be more than happy to give it a try. My mate is particularly into Japanese whiskey, he was saying they had lost the plot a bit and quality had dropped off due to popularity, but it’s coming back on form, apparently – he’s got one bottle that he bought several years ago that’s now retailing for £150 a bottle! He’s in two minds whether to open it now, ‘cos he could never afford to buy another one.

Currently I’ve got two bottles of Woodford Reserve, which is a Bourbon, and one I’m particularly fond of, a bottle of Jura Winter Edition, and a bottle of Highland Park ‘Viking Scars’. Not entirely sure what that’s about, but the packaging was pretty, and I’d left it a bit late doing my Christmas shopping, alcohol-wise, especially as I was using my Tesco Club card, which saved me £12 on one bottle of Woodfords alone.

Enjoying working my way through them, next Christmas, or earlier if I’ve got a few quid to spare I’ll check out the English one, and I’ll get another bottle of Penderyn, a bottle of something from the Scottish Islands, and something from Ireland, just for a change.

Cougar

All you needed to say buddy was ‘Are you sure?, I thought such and such’. But as per usual you have to disagree in a violently aggressive manner.

I didn’t need to ask, I knew you were wrong. If I were wrong about something and pulled up about it, I may well initially argue but I would welcome the steer and I’d go and check rather than double down. Then I’d endeavour to admit my mistakes and apologise (sometimes with mixed success, but I try). I’d actually be grateful that I’d learned something, though I perhaps don’t always communicate that as well as I should. If you’re so clear about my “as usual” then you’ll hopefully know this, I’m often wrong.

Look. I’m aware that I have an abrupt writing style and you know what, I’ll do you the courtesy of apologising here and now for that too. I genuinely don’t mean anything by it but I’ve tried to shake it for years without success, it’s just how it comes across. It’s how my friends and I interact routinely, if a mate in a pub was talking bollocks I’d say “mate, that’s bollocks” and vice versa, we’d have a chuckle and cart on. Most of STW’s swear filter would be considered considered terms of endearment. I guess I think of folk on STW as extended friends and I forget that the rest of the world doesn’t necessarily work like that.

If I’ve upset or annoyed you then I’m sincerely sorry, please believe that that is not my intention. It wasn’t supposed to be “violently aggressive” so much as “acting the goat.”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘First release of whisky – keep or drink? 🤔’ is closed to new replies.