Home Forums Bike Forum First dropper post – 27.2mm

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • First dropper post – 27.2mm
  • nicko74

After 3 years in storage I’ve finally pulled my Cotic Soda Mk2 out and started riding again, and it’s still excellent. Absolutely out-dated (3×9 gears, 26″ wheels, even a 25.4mm stem), but class. Thing is, it needs some upkeep and frankly the change in standards makes it a bit daunting: switching to 1x gears would mean buying most of a drivetrain and possibly a new rear wheel.

Anyway, I’m also looking at getting a dropper. I know there’s a few options in 27.2mm seatposts; I also know the Soda (being from 2008ish) has no internal cable routing.

So what are my options, and any recommendations/ guidance?

jamesoz

If you can’t get a dropper with external routing or don’t fancy an under seat lever (works for me but some don’t like them). You can often run a stealth dropper by feeding the cable through one of the bottle boss bolt holes.

Kramer
    Free Member

I had the same thing when I got back into mountain biking 8 years ago. I chose to buy a new bike and sold the old one.

BigJohn

I bought a SRAM NX non boost group set for not much.  Add a dub bb and it modernised my MK1 Soul keeping the back wheel as is.  11-50 cassette.

Also an external routed dropper, which isn’t all that necessary on older geometry bikes as you’ll be hanging your arse off the back of the saddle on steep descents.

acidchunks

I’d 2nd brand x.

Have a 27.2 fitted to my partner’s 2010ish HT.  Feels way better than the xFusion hilo I had back in the day.

thepurist

Probably more choice of compatible components if you go 1×11 than 1×12 – any 11s cassette will fit an HG freehub (though Sunrace FTW) , a 104 BCD NW chain ring mounted on the middle tabs of your current cranks (might need shorter bolts), 11s chain and mech and shifter (slx is the sweet spot IMO).  Certainly worth having access to a mech hanger alignment tool as well.

Another +1 for the Brand X external post (ascend 2?) to save drilling your frame.

thols2

I have a 27.2 mm Brand X on my commuter bike, works fine but limited to 4″ travel. Better than no dropper, but it does limit you off road if you’re used to a longer drop post (hence it being my commuter bike). I still run my bike 2x so I put the dropper lever on the right above the bars (which is what I’m used to from running GravityDroppers back in the day). BrandX used to make a 2x lever which is much better if you’re running a LH shifter, but doesn’t seem to be listed anymore. It looks a bit like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-turbine-r-uni-dropper-seatpost-lever-847432#colcode=84743203

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Fellow Soda owner  – although mine is currently retired after a surprisingly effective stint as a gravel bike

PNW do an externally routed 27.2 post. I’d check measurements to make sure it the inserted section doesn’t foul on the bottle bosses.

PINE 27.2 DROPPER POST

Drive train wise – just ditch the inner and outer rings and front shifter; lock the front mech out using the limit screws to work as a chain guide. As a next step, a narrow-wide chainring will get you most of the chain retention you need, unless you’re getting properly rowd

I ran 1×10 on mine for ages – 32T ring and 11-36 for Peak District riding. It was a bit undergeared at the top on road descents (meh!), but the thing was so light, climbing wasn’t an issue at all.

Mountain spec – a looong time ago

Gravel spec

boriselbrus
    Free Member

If you want to go retro I have a Gravity dropper you can have for not much money.

It’s the 3 position version, down 25mm, then down an additional 75mm.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thomson do an external 27.2mm.  Mine has been absolutely faultless. Not cheap new but there’s some secondhand bargains about as it’s an unfashionable size/routing, keep an eye on eBay etc. I’ve got three now and just shim them to the bigger seat-tubed bikes.

27.2mm external is also about the easiest to swap between bikes should the need arise, I do as I still have more bikes than droppers, hence the shims.

Rickos
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you think you might need a new rear wheel just to go 1x.  Unless you’re trying to justify it to the wife/husband/partner…

Lots of wide range options at 10 and 11 speed, plus a (heavy) NX type cassette will fit on an older HG style freehub if you must have 12 speed.

ampthill

I have 27.2 mm external dropper on my gravel bike. I think they are available in 90mm or 110mm. Just been great

I think at the time i couldn’t find the brand x one

Microshift advent is a low cost option for 1x

chakaping

I have a PNW Rainier 27.2mm dropper on my gravel bike, 125mm drop.

It’s a nice quality item and as above, comes in external routed flavour too.

Got mine very cheap in a sale,but would have preferred one with an under saddle lever TBH.

chakaping

On the transmission – I’d suggest getting a single narrow wide ring for your existing crankset and going 10 speed with your existing HG cassette.

Microshift Advent X, Deore or Cues.

I have a barely used 10sp Deore 11-42t cassette to sell here, if that might suit.

dukeduvet

Definitely a brand x. Mine has been faultless and neglected for like 8 years. Still works. I also bought these little clips made by Orange so you can clip your dropper post to your brake hose if routed under the top tubes looks neat. https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/orange_bikes_orange_cable_tidies_-_4_pack-19368?stockid=333490&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8MG1BhCoARIsAHxSiQkglHuY3LULT8zmnxv6L1ipLVnidvL394esv_ai0zoxIUrc4RWb-BIaAkSxEALw_wcB

Gears I would go 1×10 shimano using old kit say saint shifter, sunrace cassette and xt m785 mech. All available cheaply used or 1×11.

nicko74

Thanks all! If nothing else, the bike press would have me believe I’m the only person left riding a 26″ wheeled bike…

A bit of basic research shows 1×11 is totally practical, and bikediscount.de have shifter/ mech/ cassette/ chain for £150 (XT/SLX). For the trails I’m riding that should be plenty. It also frees up cable guides for the dropper post cabling.

And I had my eye on the sports direct brandx dropper, wasn’t sure of durability, so great to hear it’s a good ‘un.

Appreciate the help!

zerocool

You could drill a little hole in the seat tube to run an internal dropper. I know a lot of people have done it a and preferred it than routing through the BB

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.