• This topic has 43 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by poly.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • First aid kit + survival blanket for MTBing
  • NZCol

I’d second the poly survival tubes – much better. I always carry duct tape, a couple of decent size dressings and for expedition races whatever they ask us for. I’ve bodged a fair few decent cuts and lacerations and even did some stitching once. I’ve got Ski Patrol training and outdoor first aid with search and rescue so am happy to do a bit more than your average bear. I have a pair of latex gloves in my seatbag wrapped in a spare glove – v handy. But yeah, my aim is to try and get them somewhere easier to scoop up if they can or get them very comfy where they are if absolutely necessary – if you have a few people and spare gear that + a poly tube is OK. I also have a fleece hat and polyprop gloves in all my packs as they are extremely light and v handy. Saying that when we race we use the foil tubes as they are lighter and we tend to trash one every 2 days – they are warm enough though.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I have to admit to only having scanned this thread but the BASP first aid course is fantastic I thought. I think that everyone who goes mountain biking seriously should do it. It’s a weekend. Based in Aviemore so we got a few hours riding in at Badaguish as well! Can’t recommend it enough. I carry a fairly full first aid kit, survival blanket etc etc but I think the first aid course is the most important thing.

Drac

Trust me Poly ringing 999 and asking for Ambulance will get you the same resources and have the ambulance on it’s way immediately as long as when you make the call you give them details that it’s remote. Yes in ares of Scotland it’s very remote and they’re going to be limited as how to get there but they will provide the right service.

poly
    Free Member

Trust me Poly ringing 999 and asking for Ambulance will get you the same resources and have the ambulance on it’s way immediately as long as when you make the call you give them details that it’s remote. Yes in ares of Scotland it’s very remote and they’re going to be limited as how to get there but they will provide the right service.

Drac – if I need an MRT then I don’t need an Ambulance “yet” – if it responds immediately it will be waiting a long time for the MRT to respond, mobilise and recover the casualty to an accessible point; i’m not disputing that if you call an ambulance you should get the help you need, just trying to point out that the “correct” way of initiating MRT assistance is via the police (in Scotland at least). By missing out a step in the process you remove the potential for miscommunication. If I should need their assistance I will continue to follow the advice from all the Scottish Police Forces, MR Teams and the Scottish Ambulance Service – and make my 999 call to the POLICE.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘First aid kit + survival blanket for MTBing’ is closed to new replies.