Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Finally have to admit Bonty Mud X 29 sheet on front
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Washed out and faceplanted on Tuesday on muddy grassy terrain, front end was slipping on rocks’n’roots badly also.
    I know I’ve been told that they’re too thin but I’m old and stubborn.
    Right then,
    What’s best for muddy,rooty,rocky slithery poop on front (sticking to my guns for now on back)
    I need fairly good sidewalls also, so there we have it, oh and not heavy if poss.

I have searched previous but can’t find anything that makes me feel the warm glow.

swanny853

As a long term skeptic of using contis in anything other than dry conditions I’ve been quite impressed with how the rubber queen has been handling the slow descent into winter. It’s not a proper mud tyre but I’ve found it pretty forgiving in the slop and good on the rest.

If they made barons in 29 I’d have one of those like a shot though. That was what really made me look at conti/black chilli again!

rOcKeTdOg

Bounty mud x

(yes I read the post but they really are good)

Closely followed by Beavers

njee20
    Free Member

Bounty mud x

Agreed, if you fell off using Mud Xs on muddy grass then I’d say something else is amiss.

warns74
    Free Member

Had a similar lack of confidence with 29er storm controls. Seems to work great on the back wheel but didnt like the front on roots, rocks, techy stuff. Now have a 2.25 Beaver up front and initial impressions are its a massive improvement.

rOcKeTdOg

njee20 – Member
    Bounty mud x
    Agreed, if you fell off using Mud Xs on muddy grass then I’d say something else is amiss

no tyre is perfect & wet grass is Teflon coated, it’s very rooty around here and nothing grips wet slimey roots, only technique & luck can save you on those. if I binned my tyres after every off I could start my own rubber plantation

pipiom
    Free Member

Ok maybe I overreacted to one of those nights……maybe persevere for a bit

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run a Bonty 29-4 on the front of my ht with a mud X out back, seems to cope really well with everything I’ve tried to chuck myself down recently.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

As a long term skeptic of using contis in anything other than dry conditions I’ve been quite impressed with how the rubber queen has been handling the slow descent into winter. It’s not a proper mud tyre but I’ve found it pretty forgiving in the slop and good on the rest.

I have a non black chilli Rubber Queen, it’s the worst tyre in the wet ever and breaks away when leant over in the dry.

BTW

For sale, rubber queen 29er, three rides old

Clink

Now have a 2.25 Beaver up front and initial impressions are its a massive improvement.

I didn’t think they were out yet?

swanny853

I have a non black chilli Rubber Queen, it’s the worst tyre in the wet ever and breaks away when leant over in the dry.

BTW

For sale, rubber queen 29er, three rides old[/quote]

Haven’t tried the non-BC versions in the mud, although a friend of mine seems pretty happy running the 26 versions. He runs them at a much higher pressure than I would and they don’t seem to have killed him yet. Even the black chillis I would say aren’t a mud tyre, but they handle the stuff fairly well.

Have you tried yours in heavy mud, or more wet roots and rocks? I would have thought the tread was the main thing in the thicker mud, the compound the big thing on roots etc, so I’d be interested to find the difference.

lump

Hutchinson Toro have been very good

ASC
    Free Member

HD trailstar up front Mud X out back. HD tubeless and about 18ish psi. Not falling off quite as much 😉
    Wouldn’t run with Mud X up front where it polished marbles or rooty.

Chainline
    Free Member

I like the beaver. Try the bonty with lower prsssure.

z1ppy

Clink – Member
    Now have a 2.25 Beaver up front and initial impressions are its a massive improvement.
    I didn’t think they were out yet?

Indeedy, where did you get it from Warns?
    I’m still looking for a wider than 2.0, 29er front tyre for wet conditions, was hoping to order a 2.25 Beaver a couple of days back but now the nextdaytyres site says the 7th Jan. Minions been suggested, but my Ardent isn’t great, so I’m not convinced it’ll be much better

rewski
    Free Member

Tyre pressure

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Running mud-x 29’s on my Trek XC superfly 100 sl

Found them to be better at 25psi front and 28 rear..I also run 25% sag in the winter instead of 20%

warns74
    Free Member

Clink – I didn’t think they were out yet?

I couldnt get any sensible info out of Maxxis UK about when they were going to be available so ordered from the US. Apart from a small customs fee and PO handling charge they werent that expensive and I like having the extra volume on the hardtail plus EXO carcass.

Also dont understand why Maxxis couldnt get this wet weather tyre out here in time for winter?

chiefgrooveguru

I’m running a Mud-X 26 on the back at the moment and it’s remarkably quick rolling but pretty drifty though predictable in the corners, good braking and driving traction and very sketchy on wet roots. I have a Baron (black-chili) up front which is amazing (though it leaked sealant for ages). Before that I had a Butcher which wasn’t quite as good in the mud or on wet roots but better than most. Before that a Rubber Queen (black chili) which didn’t have as much cornering grip as the Butcher or Baron in the loose/wet but wasn’t bad and was very good in most other ways (including handling wet roots well). I think a Butcher Control 29 would be a good front winter tyre for most conditions if cornering speed matters more than straight lines.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Finally have to admit Bonty Mud X 29 sheet on front’ is closed to new replies.