• This topic has 53 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Finally, a Garmin alternative?
  • legend
    Free Member

you do realise that this has full mapping and navigation functions unlike the 520?

Bez

I’d also question “far superior screen” until you’ve seen it in the flesh. Colour is not the most important thing; far from it. From the shots on DCR the Wahoo looks like it should have superior contrast, and the mapping looks a lot clearer than Garmin’s.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Obviously the contrast is good, its a black and white screen. Not even greys for gradients/areas/info etc.. which will make maps hard work

Nokia called, they want their 3210 screen back.

Bez

I think the clarity is the best thing about it. Easy to see. No clutter. The exact opposite of “making maps hard work”; certainly for road use, which seems to be its intended purpose.

infidel
    Free Member

FWIW I’m a big fan of MIO – I had a 315 and upgraded to a 505 to get power meter compatibility. Great mapping, good data field adjustability, does turn by turn etc out of the box without needing to buy more maps and the MIO support has been excellent. They seem to be constantly tweaking the firmware too as there are frequent updates which keep adding more functionality to the units.

Just saying…!

legspin
    Free Member

Think I touched a nerve 😀

Bez

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You can touch my nerve if you want?

pdw
    Free Member

Garmin’s ability to occasionally forget to give me directions when using turn-by-turn has naff all to do with the way I’m using it.

No, but it’s probably entirely down to the mapping information, and unlikely to be any better on other units, particularly if you’re already using the same OSM data as this unit uses. The problem is if the map has the wrong information about which route is the “main road” and which is turning.

I hope this new unit shakes up the market a bit. The Garmin hardware and software on the unit is OK, but all their desktop / online software is just incredibly flakey and seems to have got worse, not better, over the years.

As a company, they seem unresponsive to user feedback, and I was pretty disappointed that they offered no goodwill or discount on replacing the plastic mounts on my old Edge 305 which suffered from a seemingly common breakage, with the replacement mounts only coming in a kit at some extortionate retail price.

MSP

Never had any real problems with the garmin units. And that doesn’t look like something that would tempt me away from them in future. Had a 705 when they first came out and now have an 810.

I never use the turn by turn directions, I just prefer to display my route on the map. Tried turn bu turn when I fist started using a garmin, but don’t think it works at all, I don’t see a way of making it work suitably for cycling, especially mountain biking i just don’t think it is a technology that crosses over from car sat nav.

I also don’t find the menus intuitive, I think they could make it a lot better if you could do all the set-up on a computer and just send it down to the unit.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I think the map looks pretty good in terms of actually seeing where you’re going! I use an eTrex and follow the route on the map, and often my tired old eyes struggle to distinguish my route from other roads and map clutter.

Bez

Never had any real problems with the garmin units … Tried turn bu turn when I fist started using a garmin, but don’t think it works at all … I also don’t find the menus intuitive, I think they could make it a lot better

The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one 🙂

MSP

I think the full sentences explain my position pretty clearly, sorry if they were too long for you. I haven’t had any problems with garmins, but it doesn’t mean I don’t see room for improvement.

Bez

Smileys may imply facetiousness 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Finally, a Garmin alternative?’ is closed to new replies.