Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Field binoculars
  • BillMC

Planning a trip to Chobe, Botswana, to see some wildlife. Can anyone recommend some cheapish binoculars and also what numbers I should be going for (10 x 25 etc).

IHN

8x is plenty (10x is a bit shaky), get the biggest ‘second’ number that you can as that’s the aperture and when you’re watching game at sunrise/sunset (when most of it is about) you want as much light into the lens as possible.

You pretty much get what you pay for, I got some Opticron 8×32 (I think) for about £150 (I think) for six weeks on a game reserve in SA, they were fantastic

I think I have these ones:

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/discovery_wp.htm

If you’re anywhere near Gloucestershire you’re welcome to try them (maybe even borrow them)

slparsons
    Free Member

I recommend Opticron as well.
    As said above, 8X magnification is great, I’d recommend 40mm lenses if you don’t need a small set, the image qulaity will be brighter.

Spend as much as you can afford; I went from a £150 pair to a £400 pair and the difference is massive.

Quality stuff has a good resale value if you want to sell again after your trip.

Find a good retailer where you can try several pairs.

ski
    Free Member

Agree with IHN 8x are easier to hold and cause less shake.

You need to try a few out tbh, 8×32 are a good combo between small and compact, but bright enough that you will want to use.

If it was me, I would be looking for something slightly bigger, round the 8×40 or 8×42 with a roof prism, not as pocketable to carry , these Minox version I found were amazing for the price, but everyone has different eyes, so, try before you buy 😉

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minox-BV-8×42-BR-black/dp/B003EHK7Q8/ref=sr_1_24?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358865275&sr=1-24

mav12
    Free Member

+1 for opticron i have a opticron monocular 10X40 and the low light performance is impressive take a look at hawke as well

but make sure you try a few first

CountZero

These: http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1291/prodtype.asp
    I’ve got a pair of the Trekker DCF 8×32’s and for £89 they’re fantastic value. Small enough to stick in a jacket pocket, and light enought to carry around your neck all day without noticing them. Nice bright image, I love them, mine are a couple of years old now. The 8×42’s might be better if you’re going to be using them at dusk or dawn.

ElShalimo

Opticron Discovery 8×32 for lightweight & sunny(ish) places or 8×42 for lower light levels
    Monoculars can be hard to get used to for some people

scuttler

Opticron Traveller for me. Take a trip to In Focus at http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/shops.html with an open mind and a set budget and see what you can come away with. When I bough my Opticrons I was in one of the shops for about 90 minutes peering out of the window through various sets. Unless you’re an optics freak no amount of spec comparison will actually give you a feel for how usable and capable a particular set are.

ElShalimo

The RSPB have regular optics days at their centres where you can try varying binos in the real world. Details on their website
    I went on an awful crappy day with low light levels and you could really tell the differences between the cheap ones and the good ‘uns. The really expensive ones we didn’t look at but it does help you decide what works for you in terms of weight, size, magnification etc.

BillMC

Thanks so much everyone, that’s really useful.

wallace1492
    Free Member

I have Nikon Monarch 10×36, very light compact and superb quality (except for the bag!) Everyone that has looked through them comments on the quality and clarity. Brilliant for wildlife. Not cheap at about £200, but so glad I got them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Field binoculars’ is closed to new replies.