Home Forums Bike Forum Fidlock bottle – clean? bin?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fidlock bottle – clean? bin?
  • ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve got two of these in different sizes. the smaller one has been rather neglected this summer.

Its got a bit of mould at the bottom, under the mechanism so I cant get a brush in there. Any tips? or not worth the hassle (they are expensive)

Currently just not filling the big one to the top for short rides

v7fmp

a good wash, scrub and some milton tablets?

or try it in a dishwasher?

Defo dont throw it!

stevie750

I was going to suggest milton tablets as well

tall_martin

a good wash, scrub and some milton tablets?

or try it in a dishwasher?

+1

I a bottle of Milton fluid is probably a lot less than a fidlock bottle.

citizenlee
    Free Member

Since everyone else has suggested Milton, I’ll suggest Vodka.

Or Fred & Flo Sterilising Tablets from Tesco:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/302169753

£1.65 for a 56 pack.

bikesandboots

No kind of brush that can reach? Toothbrush?

You could stick a pressure washer head in it too.

spannermonkey

Shove mine in the dishwasher (top rack) all the time. Probably a good idea to remove the black magnetic mount first

singlespeedstu

I found an 800ml fidlock bottle a while back.

It’s contents suggested it had been in the trees for quite some time before it decided to roll onto the trail in front of me.[feeling slightly sick emoji]

Several trips through the dishwasher did nothing to make it usable due to the shape on the inside.

Left it a couple of days with some milton in and it was good to go.

matt_outandabout

Agree with a soak in hot Milton for a long while works.

Kramer
    Free Member

Shove mine in the dishwasher (top rack) all the time. Probably a good idea to remove the black magnetic mount first

I do the same and don’t bother. No problems so far in two years.

nickc

I’ve given up using plastic bidons. – microplastic contamination, bacteria, taste. I can’t be doing slinging them into landfill though, so I bought a couple of metal ones, a Sigg and a thermo camelback podium. Easier to wash in the dishwsher at higher temps, you can chuck them in bleach if you need to, and they’ll last indefinitely, initial cost, and bit of a weight penalty is the only downside.

ready

I’ve always thought about the dishwasher, but the instructions state not to?

ayjaydoubleyou

having tried near-boiling water unsuccessfully, I’d worry about the plastic’s capabiltiy of resisting high temps for a prolonged period.

MadBillMcMad

Table spoon of uncooked rice, some water and shake vigoursly.

jkomo

Sterident tabs

thenorthwind

I’ve given up using plastic bidons. – microplastic contamination, bacteria, taste. I can’t be doing slinging them into landfill though, so I bought a couple of metal ones, a Sigg and a thermo camelback podium. Easier to wash in the dishwsher at higher temps, you can chuck them in bleach if you need to, and they’ll last indefinitely, initial cost, and bit of a weight penalty is the only downside.

I’m getting tired of bottles that get grimy inside the nozzle you drink from too – have you found a metal one that you can drink from with one hand, but doesn’t have that problem?

nickc

@thenorthwind, no both the Sigg and Camelbak I use have plastic nozzles, there is a metal Sigg coffee cup that has a flip lid that fits a bottle cage, but I’m not sure how secure the lid is for ‘proper’ mountain biking

thenorthwind

@nickc Cheers. I don’t think there’s anyway to make a “sports cap” without using plastic, but are either of the ones you have less prone to getting gunked up, or at least easier to clean than your standard bottle?

nickc

No they both have the silcone type. At least the Sigg allows you to exchange it with their normal metal screw in tops (but you’d need to stop each time to take a drink), or replace it when the original gets too disgusting to use any longer.

spannermonkey

Screenshot 2024-08-23 at 15.33.37

FYI – all good to dishwasher them

thenorthwind

No they both have the silcone type. At least the Sigg allows you to exchange it with their normal metal screw in tops (but you’d need to stop each time to take a drink), or replace it when the original gets too disgusting to use any longer.

Better than nothing I guess.

LAT

Can you not pull the bottle tops apart ? It can take a bit of effort, but works on the bottles I have.

martinhutch

I found an 800ml fidlock bottle a while back.

I just assumed that nearly all fidlock bottles were recovered from the side of the trail, cleaned up a bit, then sent back to a similar trailside a couple of rides later.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just assumed that nearly all fidlock bottles were recovered from the side of the trail, cleaned up a bit, then sent back to a similar trailside a couple of rides later.

Certainly the folk I ride witt that use them spend an inordinate amount of time walking up trails retrieving their bottles.

It’s put me off then anyway

diggery
    Free Member

I’ve not lost one yet off my enduro bike despite rough terrain, bad line choices and several trips over the bars, requiring a new helmet on one occasion. Bottle hasn’t detached in 1600+ miles. Unlike normal bottles.

It also gets the occasional Milton and the odd trip through the dishwasher, mechanism attached. Still great.

singlespeedstu

I’ve not lost one either in around three years of use.

I find loads of regular bottles* but I’ve only ever found one Fidlock.

*Camelback Podiums are the most popular.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Camelback Podiums are the most popular.

Hardly surprising. Good bottles then.

Lost because people insist on shit cages in the name of weight weenieism.

Even as a weight weenie I learned quickly that a shit cage that is light is still a shit cage. As a result all my bikes have black burn mtns on. Total bottles lost 1. But it was off a kayak

singlespeedstu

I’m happy to find fidlocks or podiums as I use both systems across various bikes. [Happy face smiley]

ayjaydoubleyou

Never lost or dropped a fidlock. Dropped a few other types, in both spesh zee and elite cages.

only issue I can remember is in an xc race I couldn’t get it to reengage (it’s a long way down on my hardtail and I wasn’t used to it) before the end of the short fire road section. Had to throw it in a bush and come back after the race to find it. Luckily was on the last lap.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.